Noise in GT rearend - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Cool Noise in GT rearend

While riding yesterday it seemed to me that I detected a faint noise from the rear end. Driving along in third gear at 45 mph(in a straight line) it sounded normal. But if I shifted my weight just a little bit (as you might when making a lane change) I swear I hear a little growl. To me it sounded like a bad inner or outer wheel bearing on a car and how you get kind of a growling noise when you only turn in a certain direction. I checked the rear wheel while on the center stand for any play and can't detect any. Anybody have this same experience?
Another question I have is in the event of a rear end failure is it fact that it is for sure going to lock up on you or does every failure have its own set of circumstances? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Could be just tyre (tire for you) noise.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:39 pm

Yes, Tires can make some pretty ugly noises. A number of ways of checking this, when riding straight, move the bike over to the left a bit (with your weight on the right) and listen for noise, then do the same to the right. Or, just trun in a curve slightly to the left and then on the right. You should hear the same noise when going both directions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode