Attempts to Convert GT to LT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 2:32 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Attempts to Convert GT to LT

I just don't get it! Why would anyone who owns one of the best "Sports Tourer" on the planet want to make it something it's NOT? And, yes, I came to own my new GT after owning an LT for 5 years. But, as said here before, " it two different machines designed for two different applications and TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT CLASSES !!!

It's one post after another, "GT or LT?"...GT or Wing?"...way too many comparisions to the king of all touring bikes...the LT.

Come on folks, if "you old farts" (mental not chronological age) who attempt customization of your already well engineered GT to look like your LT...go ahead, BUT, it won't work. There is a law of diminishing return...Any high tech engineer worth his/her salary already knows, you just can't take a product designed for a specific purpose and make it into a "swiss army knife"... Ask IBM, Sun and many others...Same applies to the aviation...auto, and many, many other industries.

Don't get me wrong, adding customized goodies to you GT, without "dramatically" increasing the overall weight or aerodynamics, i.e., GPS, autocom, custom paint, high performance exhaust, more comfortable seats, quieter windshields, etc. etc., etc., all products designed and engineered to provice better performance or comfort... knock yourself out...

Next, we will be comparing the GT to HD! Opps, that post already exist... Too late...

BTW, I also rode HD's for 10 years +. But, I am not going back...

I gotta find a new forum...

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog !"

07 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 1:29 pm
Strafist

I'm not sure who's trying to make their GT "look" like an LT and how they're doing it. ????

I was, and am, spoiled rotten by the LT and just had to have the Autocomm, GPS, etc., but in agreeance with your post, it doesn't make the bike look like an LT.

Please 'splain, cause I cain't wrap my head around this.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 2:09 pm
Addict

Highway pegs maybe? Pullback bars?

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 3:10 pm
"DELIVERS"

Somebody misses their LT....

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 6:09 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDude
I just don't get it! Why would anyone who owns one of the best "Sports Tourer" on the planet want to make it something it's NOT? And, yes, I came to own my new GT after owning an LT for 5 years. But, as said here before, " it two different machines designed for two different applications and TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT CLASSES !!!

It's one post after another, "GT or LT?"...GT or Wing?"...way too many comparisions to the king of all touring bikes...the LT.

Come on folks, if "you old farts" (mental not chronological age) who attempt customization of your already well engineered GT to look like your LT...go ahead, BUT, it won't work. There is a law of diminishing return...Any high tech engineer worth his/her salary already knows, you just can't take a product designed for a specific purpose and make it into a "swiss army knife"... Ask IBM, Sun and many others...Same applies to the aviation...auto, and many, many other industries.

Don't get me wrong, adding customized goodies to you GT, without "dramatically" increasing the overall weight or aerodynamics, i.e., GPS, autocom, custom paint, high performance exhaust, more comfortable seats, quieter windshields, etc. etc., etc., all products designed and engineered to provice better performance or comfort... knock yourself out...

Next, we will be comparing the GT to HD! Opps, that post already exist... Too late...

BTW, I also rode HD's for 10 years +. But, I am not going back...

I gotta find a new forum...
WTFDYPM???

BOUAK

Jenks OK

07 K1200GT
05 R1200GS
99 K1200LT
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 9:41 am

Thumbs up I hear ya...and I feel ya

Sorry to say it guys, but BeemerDude is not alone here. The thought of highway pegs, a back rest, or even peg-lowering kits on the new GT makes me a bit nauseous. I'm not sure I even understand bar-risers on a sportbike, or a sport-tourer like the GT. But then again, I'm 6'3". I guess I don't need them seeings as my bars are all the way DOWN!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 4:15 pm
"DELIVERS"

I don't think adding any of that stuff is an attempt to make a GT look like an LT....that's impossible...they're farkles, add-ons to enhance the owner's comfort....everybody does it...even LT owners.
Example:I didn't buy a pillion backrest because I wanted my GT to be like an LT....I got it for my passenger's comfort. Should I have bought an LT instead?
Why anyone would criticize for doing upgrades like that is beyond me.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Last edited by milkman; Mar 27th, 2007 at 4:22 pm.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 5:26 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Ah well. I guess I'm with Rob, but even more so. If someone wants to pay for a new GT and then bolt an old rusty Ural sidecar on it and hang fuzzy dice from the top of the windscreen, why should I care? It's his money and his choice. It's not my bike and I can make my own choices with my own money and my own bike.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:15 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Sorry to say it guys, but BeemerDude is not alone here. The thought of highway pegs, a back rest, or even peg-lowering kits on the new GT makes me a bit nauseous. I'm not sure I even understand bar-risers on a sportbike, or a sport-tourer like the GT. But then again, I'm 6'3". I guess I don't need them seeings as my bars are all the way DOWN!
Oh yeah? Well, I'm five foot twelve and ride with them all the way down. I'm not afraid to say that a set of highway pegs, now and then, could be a beautiful thang. Fooking old, messed up knee's.

The good news is, my left ankle has been fused for 18 years and I'll be dayemed if I'm not getting more range of motion out of it. The GT is assimilating me. Resistance is futile, betch.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Ah well. I guess I'm with Rob, but even more so. If someone wants to pay for a new GT and then bolt an old rusty Ural sidecar on it and hang fuzzy dice from the top of the windscreen, why should I care? It's his money and his choice. It's not my bike and I can make my own choices with my own money and my own bike.
While I am in total agreement with the above paragraph (and with Milkman), what drives me nuts is when someone buys a GT and then whines, moans, and complains about it's ergos. That buyer obviously bought the wrong bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode