Stebel Nautilus - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 1:42 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Stebel Nautilus

Looks like we lost the thread about installing the Stebel Nautilus, with all the pics and excellent narrative. I bought a Stebel Nautilus from Pirateís Lair, with the optional wiring harness. I took off the side panels, and prepared to do bidness as per the (now lost) photos in that thread. Unfortunately, my horn would not fit in the same space. After an hour of fooling around with a few different ideas, I came up with this one. On my bike, the front part of the ABS box shelf is bare, and after some finagling, here is what I came up with. I toyed with the idea of fastening the horn with zip ties, since there are some available holes which zip ties can be threaded through, but I couldnít get the horn secure enough. Finally, I hit on the idea of fashioning a bracket which uses an existing bolt up near the top left of the open space. Seems to work OK, and puts the horn in the factory-recommended vertical position. Looks like it belongs there. Iím not sure how loud it will be with the horn opening facing to the left side right at the fairing panel, but I canít believe there would be a lot of difference from the spot on the back side of the ABS box.

The instructions which came with the wiring harness are pretty straight-forward and the harness comes with a relay, fuse, and everything necessary, but I couldnít figure out how to get to the OEM horn! Itís really buried in there! I finally decided to leave it alone and let the dealership wire it when I come in for my 6K service.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07GTleftside.jpg (237.5 KB, 915 views)
File Type: jpg 07GTleftsidefront.jpg (257.2 KB, 923 views)
File Type: jpg Wontfit.jpg (222.9 KB, 921 views)
File Type: jpg Fitshere.jpg (204.9 KB, 919 views)
File Type: jpg Finishedproduct.jpg (263.8 KB, 949 views)

Last edited by Razel; Mar 27th, 2007 at 2:42 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 3:28 pm

I'd like to read more about the bracket you used, I have the same horn (never installed on my RT) and the single plastic bolt mount on the Stebel itself seems quite flimsy. Is that what you used or did you give it some "help" to enhance stability?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Hi Mikey,

Well, we must have different versions. Mine has a projection-bracket as a part of the (cast?) metal barrel. It's strong and substantial. The horn came with one bolt and nut, which fits that bracket. All I did was take a single, straight piece of steel and drill some holes in it. You can see one of the holes I drilled while I was doing some trial and error stuff. Anyway, the top is bolted to the bike using an existing bolt which is there to hold a little arm with a threaded clip which the side panel screws into. The other end is bolted to the horn using their bolt and screwed into their bracket. So my straight piece of steel runs vertically down there behind the horn, and that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 4:35 pm

I think they're the same horn. There's a little plastic block that inserts into that metal where the bolt passes through. Just seems like a weak point to me.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 6:29 pm
Enthusiast

Nice job Chuck! It does look like it belongs there, clean install and they should be able to give a tidy wiring job to that horn.

Even though the horn is located left and pointing slightly towards the rear, doubt that will make too much difference. Should be loud enough to let someone know you are attempting to get their attention.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 7:43 pm
Enthusiast

a bit off topic but...

i gotta ask. I see the pic of k12rs's bike w/ the lights...any room on the K12GT for such lighting?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 8:42 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I don't know why you couldn't put some more lights on it, but I'm way not the expert here. Somewhere I read some posts about how there are no brackets made yet which will fit the forks.... could be wrong on even that part, though.

Frankly, I have not bothered to look into it because I have the Xenon light, and it is truly an amazingly bright light which provides a lot of light to either side also.

Maybe someone else who has already done it will chime in here.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 9:22 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Well, I talked about how I couldn't figure out how to get to the OEM horn, and since then I saw a post on the I-BMW site which says you can get to it if you remove the snorkel first. So I guess if I get a chance to try that before I get to 6K, maybe I will.

Also, looking at the other guy's pics, I can see a major difference between his ABS box and mine. He put his horn in the spot behind the box where mine won't fit. The front of his ABS box takes up the whole shelf, and there's no room for the horn there (with his configuration). Interesting that there is so much difference.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Well, I talked about how I couldn't figure out how to get to the OEM horn, and since then I saw a post on the I-BMW site which says you can get to it if you remove the snorkel first. So I guess if I get a chance to try that before I get to 6K, maybe I will.

Also, looking at the other guy's pics, I can see a major difference between his ABS box and mine. He put his horn in the spot behind the box where mine won't fit. The front of his ABS box takes up the whole shelf, and there's no room for the horn there (with his configuration). Interesting that there is so much difference.
Didn't the '06s have servo equipped (power) brakes, whereas the '07s did away with the power assist versions? I could be wrong but I remember something about this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 1:40 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG37221
Didn't the '06s have servo equipped (power) brakes, whereas the '07s did away with the power assist versions? I could be wrong but I remember something about this.
AHAAA! Mike, I think you've got it! I completely forgot that. Well, when they did away with the power assist, they created a perfect little shelf for accessories.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode