New OEM seat? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 1:53 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

New OEM seat?

I went to the weekend open house at my local dealership in Orange California yesterday and looked at the new '07 GT they brought off of the BMW demo truck. Sure enough, just like someone was posting about a few weeks ago, the seat is visibly different from my '07 GT seat. The passenger seat has a definite (but small) longitudinal hump near the front. The rider's seat looks the same as mine, but feels a little spongier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 2:29 pm

Did you have a camera with you?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 3:21 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewaynorth
Did you have a camera with you?
Nope, sorry. Wish I had. The dealership was having an open house, complete with the BMW demo truck with free rides, and dozens of antique bikes with little known brands and odd stuff. There was a truly astounding sidecar rig with the sidecar being an old, wood-paneled outboard motor boat, off-loadable and apparently useable. A beautifully restored 1923 Beemer was out there, as well as a few old BMW racing bikes.

Not to mention the free bratwurst...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 3:44 pm

Here you go. Just call it deja vous
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02154.JPG (153.8 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02155.JPG (150.9 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02153.JPG (147.4 KB, 344 views)

Last edited by Razel; Mar 27th, 2007 at 2:29 am.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 4:04 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Thanks Dave, that's the one. The little hump in the front part of the passenger seat is the dead giveaway. How is your seat? Can you make comments on comparing the "old" versus the "new"? Have you had both, or is that the way yours came?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2007, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Thanks Dave, that's the one. The little hump in the front part of the passenger seat is the dead giveaway. How is your seat? Can you make comments on comparing the "old" versus the "new"? Have you had both, or is that the way yours came?
Yes please do. Vultures are hovering.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 5:07 am
Rookie

Hi Dave,

what was the cost of these (if you don't mind me asking). I've got 2k miles on my original seat and just don't see me getting to like it. Which dealer did you get them from, my dealer claims there have been no updates!!! Do you have the part numbers please?

Thanks
Steve
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 6:15 am

Right then, to save a load of typing here's an email I sent to somebody recently explaining my seat story.

Dave

I've had my GT since June last year and brought the seat problem to http://www.cwmotorcycles.co.uk/home/home_main.html CW motorcycles at an early stage. I bought the GT to replace an old 1100Rt that had reached 120,000miles commuting to work but before starting for a new airline I had to travel to Dijon and Bergerac distance of 1500 miles in 3 days. During the trip I was in 'arse' agony! I did all sorts of tricks to get the standard seat comfortable and ended up packing it out with cardboard and duct tape. After this trip transmission problems came to light and the bike ended up with the dealers for 3 weeks. When I had the bike back I borrowed the low seat off of their demonstrator bike and wouldn't give it back as it was an improvement. In the end Darren the workshop manager did a warranty replacement low seat for me (claiming that their was a small rip or fault with the original! He's been good to me like that) I kept the original std seat as well.
Recently I have found out that every customer who bought a GT from CW has complained about the seat and Darren approached BMW UK to seek a solution to the problem. The talk of a replacement seat set started about 3 months ago and a set for me turned up when I posted the arrival of it on the forum. Unfortunately that seat was the standard version and was as much agony as the original std one! So I've been waiting till this week for a low, heated, black seat set to turn up and if I have time I'll pick it up this week and I'll report back.

As I've nearly had the whole month of March off work(never use GT for pleasure got GS's for that!) I'll be doing the miles again starting on the 1st of April so I'll definatly pick the replacement Std. low, heated seat up and report back.

Last edited by pikeydave; Mar 26th, 2007 at 8:10 am.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 2:41 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Uhhh... OK Dave, so the pics of the two front seats upside down, which are obviously different... are the same? Or they're not your seats? Or they're different, but one is just as hard as the other? I'm a little lost.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Based on this picture the seat on my '07 GT purchased in December is the new one with the hump. My longest day so far has been 300 miles and I have no complaints. I really have no basis of comparison because my previous '03 RT had a Sargent the day I rode it out of the dealer but I do remember a definite pitch downward toward the tank during my 75 mile test ride. At any rate, I am expecting a new Sargent seat for the GT momentarliy as I like their product and it has the integrated heat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode