House of fasteners? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 1:04 am Thread Starter
Telepathetic

House of fasteners?

Back in the old days when I used to ride a RT, I would read about other RT'ers that would complain about missing fasteners. These reports often surfaced when attending rallies. Some suspected there were thieves about, others made references to more mysterious explanations. Why would someone steal a fastener and if fasteners did disappear on their own, where did they go? Stories like these helped me move on to K bikes.

I had to tell you that so I could tell you this. Since having my GT, I have had to for a number of reasons, take my tupperware off. I have gotten pretty darn fast and don't fear it any longer. Now for the strange part. Lately I have noticed that after I get everything back together, yep, got a extra fastener or two left over. I look here and there for empty holes, nope, all happy there. So maybe there was some grain of truth being whispered by those tin hatted RT'ers, muttering about string theory and such. Any of you that find yourself missing a fastener, I know where they are going. They keep showing up in my little bag that I keep handy when taking things apart. I figure by this fall I will be able to open my own House of Fastners. If I don't have what you want in stock, a little patience and I will have it, just as soon as I go under the plastic again.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 1:12 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Well nuts

Haven't had any missing fasteners yet, but I can tell you from my own experience, those "well nuts" (just learned what they are called last week) sure do crumble and tear apart easily. I've taken my fairing panels off exactly twice since I've had the bike, and I've replaced two of those things.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 5:45 am
Strafist

Hey Chuck, you're over tightening the well nuts.

I used to burn out several electric screwdrivers a year. Spent 100 bucks on a DeWalt electric screwdriver. Best tool investment, has lasted for years.

Set that puppy to 3 on the torque drive and have at the tupperware.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 6:13 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Yeah, I think I've learned my lesson. I didn't know what a well nut was until I had to replace one, and I paid a little closer attention to how it works.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 8:08 am

A few screws that I missed the first couple of times I put the GT back together were the two in front of the battery toward the front of the bike. They get kinda hidden by the handlebars, I guess. Also, there's a screw that goes in horizontally on each side that I tend to forget. On the left side, it's above the ABS pump. On the right side, it's soon hidden by the glove box, IIRC.

I just put my GT back together last Saturday. No extra screws!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 8:42 pm
Enthusiast

Darrel,

How many do you have? Somehow after my reinstallation I was missing 7 fasteners. Having an engineering mindset I haven't lost that many fasteners since I took apart toys when I was 5. Its nice to know that I'm not loosing parts but somehow transporting them a few at a time to the west coast.

If you could leave those spares out on your bench I'll try to lock onto them and beam them back .

El Barto
Ride fast.......Get there before the accident!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 2:37 am Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Ahh, thanks El Barto. There must be a worm hole between your place and mine. I think if we both invert our titanium hats and click our heels three times, no that's not it. I''ll just sell them back to ya.

The good part at my end is, at least nothing is flapping around in the breeze.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode