ESA still not working on a new '07 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:44 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

ESA still not working on a new '07

This thread seems to have been lost as part of the upgrade, but the saga continues:

We are now in Tucson and the IC has arrived from Germany. Now it seems that the diagnostic computer will not 'talk' to the new IC, thus it cannot be installed to see if this is what is causing the ESA to not function. I believe that the service department is really trying to fix the problem, but they apparently need direction from the regional service rep who is not coming up w/ answers.

I have been very patient, but it is now becoming exasperating...no one seems able to fix the problem and the customer service rep at BMWNA has been less than understanding, or have any helpful alternatives. I have suggested that they buy back the bike, fix it on their own time, and I will buy a new one and get on w/ my life. No go...not company policy...blah blah.

I must repeat: spending over $23K for a bike that has not been fully functional since day 2 has left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth. Is it too much to expect to buy a bike and have it work properly right out of the box? BMWNA's attitude has not helped.

Am I the only one who has had this experience???

Sorry that this has turned into a rant...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:11 am

I understand your frustration. The problem with any new product is it takes about three years for all the bugs to be worked out . With all vehicles the r&d is done by computer so there is no real world input(use) into the design . Also the tech's have to be schooled as to what the new products require as to fixes for various problems. This sounds to me to be a software issue . Just as with your home computer its only as good as the person writing the code,in fact its the same protocol. I repair cars for a living ,You would believe all the computer issues I have encountered this month, and it does not matter who made the vehicle . they all have had issues.

I would ask who the rep's boss is , go up the chain till you get a replacement or answers to the problem.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:17 am

As I believe I said in your original post, I don't think anyone has experienced your problem, but that doesn't diminish your anger or problem. Does your state have a lemon law? You may want to talk to the better business bureau and maybe DOT as that would get BMWNA's attention.
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 7:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
As I believe I said in your original post, I don't think anyone has experienced your problem, but that doesn't diminish your anger or problem. Does your state have a lemon law? You may want to talk to the better business bureau and maybe DOT as that would get BMWNA's attention.
Greg
We have a lemon law here in florida. After 3 attemps( documented) they must refund your money minus any mileage charge.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:51 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the understanding replies.

I purchased the bike in Colorado which excludes motorcycles from the lemon law. I have been trying to escalate the issue w/ customer service BMWNA, but it has been like pulling teeth, and they do not give out phone contact numbers up the CoC. In addition, the dealerships have been instructed to never give out any contact info for the regional service reps. Dead end so far.

I am intentionally not mentioning any names at this point, but I may get to that so that others will be forewarned when dealing w/ certain individuals.

As to the process of debugging systems: I posted on this forum to see if this problem has been encountered by others. I believe the problem is with just this bike.

Any other suggestions will be welcomed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 1:40 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
....I must repeat: spending over $23K for a bike that has not been fully functional since day 2 ....
Howdy David,

If it were me, I would pay an attorney $200 to draft a letter to the Dealer, cc to BMWNA, that says you will give them two weeks to repair the vehicle. Failure to correct the issue will result in your returning the vehicle for a full refund, or exchange for an identical bike, their option. You must use an attorney for this letter or they won't take it seriously.

The basis for your position is "The item purchased is not performing its intended purpose" for which there is always an implied warranty unless specifically waived by you, aka "purchased as is". This is a "common law" principal and you do not need to find a lemon law on the books to utilize it.

Also, if you financed the vehicle, your lender's legal department is quite familiar with motivating dealers to "make it right".

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Apr 4th, 2007 at 8:27 am.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:40 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Bill,

Thanks for the solid advice. The "implied warranty" would likely hold up, or at least get their full attention. I'll assume that either you're an attorney or been through the mill a few times ;-}.

A BMWNA customer service supervisor did in fact call me today and ask for a few more days to attempt to fix the ESA. I agreed, but after making it very clear that my patience has been exhausted and it is time to 'put up or shut up'.

Should know by Friday...after that I will probably be forced to put your sage advice into play and get my attorney to write them a demand letter. Funny thing: my attorney rides a Beemer, and will no doubt relish the task.

Thanks again,

DS
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:22 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

The ESA is finally fixed and I'm back in the saddle and loving the new GT. Fantastic bike when it all works.

The hero of the story is John McHaney, the service manager of Iron Horse Motorcycles in
Tucson, where the bike was for a week. BMWNA spent thousands of dollars shipping, installing, and programing a new instrument cluster and a new ZFE (central computer). When this did not fix the problem John took the bull by the horns and tested the switch directly and "Voila" that was the problem. Replaced the switch and all was functional.

One of the ironies is that I right off the bat repeatedly asked the service manager where I bought the bike to test the switch. His reply was that if it were bad there would be fault codes all over the place on the diagnostic computer. Guess not. The regional service rep continued this same line of thinking ad nauseum. They should have remembered: K.I.S.S. .

I'm still not sure about naming names. It might help folks w/ future problems, but it also might come back to haunt me if I have to deal w/ these bozos in the future. Jury's out/comments welcome.

One thing's certain: if your're in Tucson, go see John at Iron Horse: He's a real human being.

AAR: problem solved and back riding.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
The ESA is finally fixed and I'm back in the saddle and loving the new GT. Fantastic bike when it all works.

The hero of the story is John McHaney, the service manager of Iron Horse Motorcycles in
Tucson, where the bike was for a week. ...

One thing's certain: if your're in Tucson, go see John at Iron Horse: He's a real human being.

AAR: problem solved and back riding.
Congratulations on getting it fixed!! Like you said, its a great bike when it works. When your earlier post said Tucson, I knew that meant Iron Horse ... and if anyone could make it right, they would.

IBA 18417
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2007, 8:23 am

Methinks they relied too much on the computer bailing them out.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode