Trailer lighting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 6:35 am Thread Starter

Trailer lighting

I read with great interest the article "canbus 101" as I'd like to figure out how to hook up trailer lights for my unigo trailer. If I'am understanding this article correctly, I'll need to power both signal and brake/taillights from the battery and trigger them from each with a relay. Are there "kits" out there for sale to facilitate this, or perhaps someone could reccomend specific rateing, brand or type of relay that won't cause problems with the ZFE? I suppose the best person I need to talk to would be someone who has done it successfully. Feel free to email me direct, [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunch
I read with great interest the article "canbus 101" as I'd like to figure out how to hook up trailer lights for my unigo trailer. If I'am understanding this article correctly, I'll need to power both signal and brake/taillights from the battery and trigger them from each with a relay. Are there "kits" out there for sale to facilitate this, or perhaps someone could reccomend specific rateing, brand or type of relay that won't cause problems with the ZFE? I suppose the best person I need to talk to would be someone who has done it successfully. Feel free to email me direct, [email protected]
What you say is ok as far as it goes, however as you may have also read, the only differentiation between tail light and brake/signal light, is voltage level on the bulb filaments. So in order to have a relay(s) that would respond to 3v to light the tail lights on the trailer and respond to 12 volts and light the brake/signal filaments. Or somehow pass on the 3 volts for tail light and 12v for brake/signal. It seems to be a more complicated problem than simply installing a relay in the circuit to power the trailer lights directly from the battery.

Good luck

Rusty
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 9:03 pm

I would check with Bushtec, they might have something available for the canbus bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAPTRAPPER
What you say is ok as far as it goes, however as you may have also read, the only differentiation between tail light and brake/signal light, is voltage level on the bulb filaments. So in order to have a relay(s) that would respond to 3v to light the tail lights on the trailer and respond to 12 volts and light the brake/signal filaments. Or somehow pass on the 3 volts for tail light and 12v for brake/signal. It seems to be a more complicated problem than simply installing a relay in the circuit to power the trailer lights directly from the battery.

Good luck

Rusty
I was thinking one relay each tapped into the siganls, but the tail brake is still another whole deal. My current thought is to power both brake and tail for the trailer off the battery on a relay off the lowbeam, the brake being switched seperately at the rr pedal. I'am also considering just using the taillight as a running light powered off the acc. outlet. That would give me something back there that I know will work for now. If I add one too many lights all that "should happen" is the ZFE shuts that circut down until I remove it. I'll be headed to the RA national in daylight hrs. surely by then somebody will have this nut cracked. For now I've got to get the hitch finished as nobody makes/sells that either, but I'am a certified welder in a machine shop, so I've got that covered.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:02 pm
Veteran

For some reason, I can't get the idea that pulling a trailer with a BMW could be a good thing for the final drive bearings. That side loading caused by the trailer in turns is going to be a tremendous strain on the final.

They're already wimpy enough as is and BMW isn't noted for a really stout final with all the drive failures of the R-series bikes.

Just seems like a really bad move, imo. I'd look for a bike with an axle and supported bearings on both sides before I'd use a BMW in that circumstance.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:29 am

CANBUS Solutions

Talk to Lewis at:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/index2.htm

He has some answers, tell him I sent ya !

Jim Lawson
00 K1200LTC
Ezy-Mount Products
Auxiliary Light Mounting Solutions
www.ezymount.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 4:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
For some reason, I can't get the idea that pulling a trailer with a BMW could be a good thing for the final drive bearings. That side loading caused by the trailer in turns is going to be a tremendous strain on the final.

They're already wimpy enough as is and BMW isn't noted for a really stout final with all the drive failures of the R-series bikes.

Just seems like a really bad move, imo. I'd look for a bike with an axle and supported bearings on both sides before I'd use a BMW in that circumstance.
Weight is weight, I did the math, rider passenger tongue wt. all within max payload, BTW the K1200GT is a "K" not an R bike. In most all cases here in my shop, "Cycle Tire & Lube" the final drive failures stemmed from bad bearings that BMW is farming out, K, R matters not, bad units are going to happen, put the updated bearings in and ride.

Last edited by Krunch; Apr 6th, 2007 at 5:08 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode