Autoswitch gave up. Suggestions? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:25 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Autoswitch gave up. Suggestions?

Dealer installed an Autoswitch on my '06 to turn the Motolights on and off from the headlight switch. Basically, you needed to flash the headlights a couple of times to turn them on or off.

Seemed like a nice way to avoid the Motolight's switch being placed somewhere on the bike. Plus it had a LED to tell me that they were on or off (glows green if on; red if off).

Well it puked and all I get it a LED light but not Motolight operation. Dealer said they turn on by wiring the relay hot, consequently the power out of the Autoswitch died.

Another dealer said they wire their's through the turn signal switch. The uy at Autoswitch said it won't work that way on the newer Can-Bus bikes. He said they are coming out with a newer Can-Bus Autoswitch that should do that, but they've been saying that for a long time now.

Anyone else have a suggestion on how to get the Motolights to turn on? The installing dealer kept the old switch and Motolight want $85 for the wiring and switch that I didn't get back from the dealer. Too late now, plus the dealer is 300 miles distant so riding up there to get get it fixed, waiting overnight in a motel, and riding back would cost more than $85 for them to fix it right. No doubt they'd say "What switch?" anyhoo as it's been about a year since.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 1:41 pm
Strafist

Since I wired mine to the switch assembly from the CL, I believe I have a Moto light switch, or two, laying around the gearage that you're welcome to have if you want it.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 2:33 pm
Enthusiast

Grif you are one awesome fella! You should swing on up to the BMW MOA International meet in West Bend, WI (July 12-15) and let me buy you a beer! Bring your pals along too, but they gotta buy their own beers.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 10:25 pm
Noob

I don't have or want a switch. The lights are a daylight safety factor for me so they are on all the time. If I need to work on the bike with the ignition on, I'll take the fuse out of the AP1 Centech fuse box. Work's great for me so far.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:07 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03k12RS
Grif you are one awesome fella! You should swing on up to the BMW MOA International meet in West Bend, WI (July 12-15) and let me buy you a beer! Bring your pals along too, but they gotta buy their own beers.
I wish I could. Just not enough hours in my life to do what I want and keep the financial head above water.

-=grif=-
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:48 am

Switch on your GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Since I wired mine to the switch assembly from the CL, I believe I have a Moto light switch, or two, laying around the gearage that you're welcome to have if you want it.

grif,

You wouldn't happen to have the part # for that switch on your right handle bar? That is exactly what i wanted to do to mine to control my lights!

thanks

Dave
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 1:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego
grif,

You wouldn't happen to have the part # for that switch on your right handle bar? That is exactly what i wanted to do to mine to control my lights!

thanks

Dave
Grif was kind enough to send me the part numbers a few months ago. Here they are.

They come off the R1200C. Here is what Grif told me to order. I did and the switches work great.
61 31 7 658 473 - switch (2 used)
61 31 7 660 444 - housing
65 14 7 651 032 - bolt
07 11 9 906 411 - bolt
46 63 2 313 281 - screw
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 7:33 am
Strafist

Yeah, R1200C. Where the hell did CL come from?

-=grif=-
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:02 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks.

I'm thinking the best would also be Grif's switch setup.

Would that also mount on the left bar or is there a reason it goes on the right?

Are the switches lighted - not that it matters?

Mack
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 1:21 pm
Addict-oholic

I also have an extra motolight switch and relay that came off my old bike, and i forgot to give it to the dealer for the reinstall;so I purchased another one. You can have my old one.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode