Third times a charm - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Third times a charm

This is my third attempt at this so somebody cut me some slack! I've read the canbus 101 thing with interest as I'am looking into hooking my unigo trailer up to my 06' GT. Can anyone be a little more specific about how to hook up the trailer lights, advise me on type/brand of relays how to wire them etc? I'am not even sure this is getting out, please help! [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 9:34 pm

It is getting out. I just don't think anybody knows. You may be the first to try this with the new GT. Be patient. Have you asked your wrench about the electrical hook-up? That might be another source of info.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

I am the wrench......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:58 pm
Noob

Bushtec Trailers has been trying for over a year to make their trailers work with the canbus without success. Dauntless Trailers does not have anything at this time either. The whole canbus system makes this a hard nut to crack.

Lynn Clark
07 K12GT CGM
06 Suzuki DR650SE
03 Honda Rebel
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 1:05 am
Strafist

I know that I don't know. I've done three on LT's but nada on a canbus bike. Thus the deafening silence from the proverbial big mouth.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 7:19 am Thread Starter

I had this same trailer hooked up to an 00' LT. that I traded for the GT. Last spring when I was studying the trailer option, I spoke with a couple of fellas at a rally whose bikes had the power assited brake option, and in the end they had to get some gadget so the trailer lights would work without triggering an ABS fault. The older LT was a non powerbrake model for one and the other thing here is that the unigo has one tailbrake light bulb pulling less wattage than most trailers that use the boat trailer stuff, I got an email from the new unigo guy who claims to have a "unit" that makes all this work on the canbus system, But the GT is slightly different with the one filament tailbrake light, so I'll keep ya'll posted.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 1:31 pm
Looking for better limits...

Do the bikes with CAN bus have a fron parking lamp? In the past, the parking lamp was on all the time the bike was running. If it still exists, use it as a relay trigger for the tail-lamp element/lamps for the trailer, and use the brake lamp feed for the trailer brake-lamp(s). Additionally, add another relay that's insensitive to 3v but operates on 12v for the brake lamps on the trailer if needed.

Autocomm (so I'm sure others have it too) has an optional battery feed that provides power for the Autocomm unit that is triggered by splicing the trigger lead to a switched power source, yet draws minimal current for the trigger function. It's not a relay, just functions as one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

No

BMWs official answer to all of this is NO! I eat breakfest weekly with a dealer and ride with him and factory trained techs, and the answer is still no! We've got to crack this nut ourselves, its manmade, other men can and will approve upon it. Question is who and when?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:03 pm
Addict-oholic

BMW's official answer is "NO" to anything that involves electricity on the Canbus system. The Manhattan dealer will not hook up/install any electrical device except a GPS "approved" by BMW to their dedicated plug for that purpose.

There are many ways to get around the Canbus, and I think that randy is on the right track. For sure, you can do the running lights off a relay from the parking lights as many of us use that circuit to power a relay for all sorts of accessories. I use mine for motolights..
I did hook up my Kissan license plate brake light and turn signals using power from the accessory socket and tapping into the brake circuit and turn signal circuits. The Kissan brake light works similar to the bike's brake light excfept they are LEDS. The lights are on normally qand get brighter when the brake circuit sends the higher voltage to the bulb....

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode