Hard to start when engine warm? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Question Hard to start when engine warm?

My 3 week old K1200GT starts fine when the motor is cold. However, after riding for 20 minutes or more if I stop and shut off the bike for a minute it barely turns over and starts. Anybody else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:09 am

That's a new one. Not had anything similar on my '06 . Sounds like its time for a trip to the dealer before it gets worse and decides not to actually start while miles from home.

IBA 18417
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:14 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT
My 3 week old K1200GT starts fine when the motor is cold. However, after riding for 20 minutes or more if I stop and shut off the bike for a minute it barely turns over and starts. Anybody else had this problem?
Sounds like weak battery or charging system.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:52 am

My bike is only now slightly past 600 miles (I know - I have to do more riding!!), but I noticed the same thing if I stalled it at a light. Between the compression, "tight" engine and hot starter, the engine really didn't want to break away for perhaps 1/2 second when I hit the starter button. After that, it would spin fast enough to start. With more miles (and getting more familiar with the throttle and clutch), it has loosened up noticeably, and I have to do it less frequently.

Rusty
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOlson
That's a new one. Not had anything similar on my '06 . Sounds like its time for a trip to the dealer before it gets worse and decides not to actually start while miles from home.
I'm already scheduled for the first service this Saturday so I was going to have them look at it then. I was hoping someone had already had this problem repaired so I could point the dealer in the right direction. I'm guessing they're going to say, "we don't see anything wrong. Bring it back if it continues or gets worse."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 2:20 pm

No problems whatsoever with my 2006 GT, although the battery indicator in the display sometimes shows up on warm or cold starts. Sometimes it doesn't show up at all. It's strange but the bike starts every time without fail.

Brian - where are you going for service? Long Beach or Irv Seaver? Long Beach is having their open house on Saturday. Maybe I'll see you there.

JB
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 2:29 pm
fas

hot start issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT

Rode my GT home 7/7/2006. Never had this issue, now 5,000 miles. Suspect low voltage battery. Mine starts fine here, 41 degree temp this morning. It lives on the BMW trickle charger tether....I am across the lake from Canada. Never a problem starting the GT.

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbeck593
Brian - where are you going for service? Long Beach or Irv Seaver? Long Beach is having their open house on Saturday. Maybe I'll see you there.

JB
Bought it from Irv Seaver so that's where it's going for the service. I probably won't make the open house as I went to the one last week at Irv Seaver.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOlson
I had a similar symptom, when I first got my bike. I attributed it to a tight engine and low battery. I put my battery charger on the bike, brought it up to full charge and have not had a similar event in the last 6K miles or so. There was no reason I could find for the battery to be discharged.

Rusty
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Mine will act a little hesitant to start it times. I stalled it once in traffic. Very warm Fall day. In town too so lots of stop & go. Cooling fan was running at the time and it acted like it wasn't going to start. It did and I went straight to the dealer and 3 techs jumped right on the problem. It was but a fluke that they have noted and will be keeping an eye out for. That was about 4,000 miles ago. I try to not stall it any more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode