Owner's Manual??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 6:09 am Thread Starter

Owner's Manual???

Does anyone here know of an online (PDF?) version of the K1200GT owner's manual? If not, how about just the mainenance schedule?

Thanks... Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 9:20 am

There's no maintenance schedule in my owner's manual. It says, in so many words, "Ask your BMW Motorrad dealer - he'll print one out for you." I found that curious, to say the least.

Rusty
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:47 am

It seems like most of the maintenence stuff was left out of the manual this time. Nothing about throttle cable adjustment, checking the coolant or removing the plastic panels. The previous K12GT manual had all this stuff. It sounds like they are really pushing to have owners use the dealers for everything. Or maybe just trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of you to buy the service/maintenence CD they sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT
..Or maybe just trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of you to buy the service/maintenence CD they sell.
But, boy is that a lousy manual on the CD/DVD! You get better diagrams off the Max BMW parts page.

Not even a wiring diagram on that DVD! At least the Haynes had a nice diagram in color for the RT series. They don't plan on one for the GT when I wrote to them.

Think you're right. Anything more than an oil change is "dealer only."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

That's too bad about the sparse owner's manual. I'm considering a new K1200GT or a new R1200RT to replace my '04 R1150RT and I am trying to roughly estimate the maintenance costs between the two. I am aware of the 6,000-mile boxer engine valve checks. Supposedly, the GT "tells" you when the valve clearances need checking through the BMW computer diagnostic tool. How often should the bike be brought to the dealer for this electronic check? I think I read somewhere at one time that it's every 8,000 miles. Correct or no?

My technical aptitude is currently limited to simple tasks like oil changes and the like, although with some reading and perhaps attending a tech day I think I may be able to handle R series boxer engine valve adjustments and throttle body sync. That would save dramatically on mainenance costs, and time for me since I live 150 miles from the nearest BMW dealer. I would definitely need to bring the GT in to the dealer for valve check/adjust for the life of the bike, so that is a slight negative to the GT (for me).

As you can tell, maintenance cost/time is an important consideration for me. Both the RT and the GT would offer adequate power for my needs, although the GT is apparently much faster. Ergos seem fine to me on both bikes. I am somewhat concerned with the numerous posts on this forum about problems, albeit mostly relatively minor in scope, related to the new GT. Perhaps these issues will be resolved as the bike's design "matures". The newer RT, having been around a year or so longer than the new GT, seems to have less reported problems (although some apparently still do exist).

Decisions, decisions... I will make up my mind soon, but I'd appreciate any insight you may have. Sorry for rambling. Thanks! :yeah
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 11:07 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinje
That's too bad about the sparse owner's manual. I'm considering a new K1200GT or a new R1200RT to replace my '04 R1150RT and I am trying to roughly estimate the maintenance costs between the two. I am aware of the 6,000-mile boxer engine valve checks. Supposedly, the GT "tells" you when the valve clearances need checking through the BMW computer diagnostic tool. How often should the bike be brought to the dealer for this electronic check? I think I read somewhere at one time that it's every 8,000 miles. Correct or no?

My technical aptitude is currently limited to simple tasks like oil changes and the like, although with some reading and perhaps attending a tech day I think I may be able to handle R series boxer engine valve adjustments and throttle body sync. That would save dramatically on maintenance costs, and time for me since I live 150 miles from the nearest BMW dealer. I would definitely need to bring the GT in to the dealer for valve check/adjust for the life of the bike, so that is a slight negative to the GT (for me).

As you can tell, maintenance cost/time is an important consideration for me. Both the RT and the GT would offer adequate power for my needs, although the GT is apparently much faster. Ergos seem fine to me on both bikes. I am somewhat concerned with the numerous posts on this forum about problems, albeit mostly relatively minor in scope, related to the new GT. Perhaps these issues will be resolved as the bike's design "matures". The newer RT, having been around a year or so longer than the new GT, seems to have less reported problems (although some apparently still do exist).

Decisions, decisions... I will make up my mind soon, but I'd appreciate any insight you may have. Sorry for rambling. Thanks! :yeah
Coming off an RT I'd say the RT is more user friendly if you want to do your own maintenance. GT service intervals are 6000 miles. I think the RT was 3000 miles at which I usually did a valve clearance check. It isn't that hard, just messy.

The GT is a whole different animal with regards to valve lash. Radiator removal, pressure bleeding complicates the issue as does the BMW computer issue that the dealer's have an edge on.

I do know I miss the miserly insurance premium of the RT which was around $220 a year in CA. My GT is now at $1000 per year. Mostly due to some unfortunate knock-over in a motel lot which cost about $5K to fix. GT doesn't fall down as nicely as the RT with regards to messing up stuff if the bags are off.

GT is far faster and smoother riding though.

Depends on what you're after. Good luck in your choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode