Setting up an IB GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Setting up an IB GT

To me the GT makes a lot of sense as a platform for a great Iron Butt bike. One of the members here has posted some pictures in a different thread of the mods he is beginning to make to his bike.LD riding is a newer passion for me, and I wanted to get a thread going about running long on the GT, the mods that are working and not working, etc.

The main wrench at my local dealer and I have been adding farkels slowly that we think make sense for this mission on the GT. Lights, NavIII, Baehr. I had Rocky Mayer build a seat. Now we are contemplating a fuel cell.

I would appreciate any input from other LD riders.

BTW, in this thread LD means "Long Distance", not "Learning Disabled" although the latter can at times be said about LD riders...

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 9:30 pm

What Iron Butt? Are you planning the 11 day one or a 1,000, 1,500 mile, 4 corners etc. That'll help to determine how you set up.

If you are doing a long one then you will need a fuel cell. The lights are required as well. The GPS is great.

You need to take at least one long ride over a day or two to learn what you need to do.

WIth my ride (1500miles in <24 hours) I learned:

1) Keep to freeways or other high speed areas and don't go through any large towns, it will slow you down a WHOLE bunch. Don't take the scenic routes where the winnibegos slow you down.

2) Get a routine for getting gas. I stopped, took off my helmet, filled up, went into the washroom and peed, washed my face with cold water, walked out and bought some cold fluids, perhaps one of those small snacks, record what I needed and back on the bike. MAXIMUM of 15 minutes. To make this faster, use a credit card to pay.

3) You need to make sure that you are comfy on the bike, move around while you ride, when you stop (for a pee or whatever), make sure you take your helmet off and stretch a bit.

Good luck.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2007, 9:47 pm Thread Starter

I have done the Lake Superior 1k but didn't record it. That is when the bug really hit me. Then reading the report of one of our members doing the 50cc got my juices flowing.

We have been thinking of a fuel cell that is easily removed returning the bike to nearly a stock configuration. I wouldn't mind having the ability to go longer between fill ups.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 8:03 am

Talking

There are a couple more things that help out on these rides.

1) Get a decent radar detector and tie it in to your comm system.

2) Get the newer I-Pod nano. You need some tunes and the Nano uses a flash drive. No moving parts and good battery life. Tie it in to your comm system

3) Buy a Camelback to keep yourself hydrated. This is so important to keep hydrated. Most gas stations have stores with fountain drink dispensers. You can use the ice from these dispensers to replenish the Camelback.

4) Keep a list of the BMW dealers with addresses and phone numbers. This is important if your going on a multi day, multi state ride.

5) Get a good tire repair kit and a motorcycle friendly air pump in case of flats. They happen at the worst times.

6) Bring some zip lock bags to keep all gas receipts in. A central and dry location is a good thing.

7) Bring some rain gear!!!!!

Have fun and just pace yourself. These rides are great. Hope these tips are helpful.

2006 K1200GT Crystal Grey
2005 Honda CRF450X Uncorked
2006 Honda CRF250X Uncorked (Sons)
IBA 22690

Last edited by kenbass; Mar 31st, 2007 at 8:30 am.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 8:16 am

I'd suggest a GPS as well, if you do get caught in some unexpected traffic or road construction, the GPS can help get around the mess. Saved me a time or two, but I wasn't pushing for the IB, just trying to make time.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:38 pm
Will ride the miles ...

Yeah, this thread is probably my fault for posting a picture over in another thread w.r.t. the fuel cell I'm building.

I am setting my '07 GT for this year's IBR. I know, right now, of one other '07 GT that will be in the rally. They are riding it two-up and having a custom mold made for a 10+ gallon main tank. That one should be very interesting to see.

In terms of modifications for this sort of ride, your essentials list should be the following:

- Comfortable seat and ergonomics
- Wind protection for long term comfort and weather
- Electric gear
- Hydration system
- A reliable method to collect and securely store receipts and photos.

In the "nice to have" list are all the things that most people think are essential. They are not. That list includes:

- Increased fuel capacity
- GPS
- Music
- Communications gear (CB/phone)
- Driving lights

That being said, nearly every IBR competitor is likely to have all the above to some degree or another. I am no exception.

My list of additions for my GT are the following:

- Philips HID driving lights mounted up off the mirrors.
- Garmin GPSmap 376C with XM radio & weather, mounted up where I can see it without taking my eyes off the road. This require fabricating a custom dash shelf.
- Valentine V1, to be mounted under the top lid of the Storm case on the aux tank. Remote display on the dash shelf. I've programmed the laser detection on my V1 to be disabled anyway.
- Baehr Ultima XL intercom system to combine V1, phone, CB, and XM radio (GPS)
- Auxiliary fuel cell to push my total capacity up to 10.6-10.8 gallons.
- Hydration tank integrated with fuel cell - approx 1.75 gallons of drinking water.
- Rick Mayer saddle
- Cee Baileys (+5 tall, +3 wide) clear windscreen on order

I will be reusing the Wolfman Explorer tank bag from my GS. The GT tank is steep enough at the back that this bag fits very well.

I was able to reuse other items from the '00 R1150GS I retired from rally service and sold last fall. Some things, like the dash shelf and fuel tank I've had to create from scratch.

Here's a picture of the dash shelf before I cleaned it up and powder coated it flat black.

When adding these items to a motorcycle, think clean and sanitary. Put a lot of thought into how you are going to route your wiring and plumbing. Use solid connection systems. Make sure that nothing will interfere with anything else. Make it rugged enough to survive the ride up to the Patriarch Tree in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest. What you don't want to do is have to tear apart your fairing at 2am on Day 9 because that super-zoot HID lowbeam you installed had a wire break between the ballast and the ignitor. Expect it will be raining when it fails. It will be raining hard.

Jeff Earls
Portland, OR
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

I would love to see your mirrors on your lights.

BigMak makes a shelf (I own one) similar to what you are speaking of.

Tires? Avon?

Are you going to use bar risers?

Thanks,
Brian
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 1:33 pm
Will ride the miles ...

Well the mirrors aren't really "on the lights" but rather I used the stock mirror attachment method to secure the light brackets.

http://www.rdrop.com/users/jearls/temp/HID/HID.html

For tires, I will will likely be using the Avon 55/56 but haven't decided yet. I need to count on getting a solid 8k miles out of a set. I will be changing tires at the midway checkpoint.

For me, no bar risers are necessary. I've got the stock bars in the highest position and it fits me well.

Jeff Earls
Portland, OR
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:12 pm

Wow Jeff! That's an awesome light setup. The GT's headlight is already the best I've seen on a BMW. I'd think you could fry the nasal hairs of any oncoming traffic. Nice work. Very nice indeed.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:07 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearls
Well the mirrors aren't really "on the lights" but rather I used the stock mirror attachment method to secure the light brackets.

http://www.rdrop.com/users/jearls/temp/HID/HID.html

For tires, I will will likely be using the Avon 55/56 but haven't decided yet. I need to count on getting a solid 8k miles out of a set. I will be changing tires at the midway checkpoint.

For me, no bar risers are necessary. I've got the stock bars in the highest position and it fits me well.
Very nice work. I know exactly what you mean about doing irrevocable cutting into plastic. My volt meter was one:

These switches are handy to have:

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode