BMW G2 GT Battery Charger-At Last! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2007, 4:00 pm Thread Starter
Addict

BMW G2 GT Battery Charger-At Last!

I have researched and read-ad nauseum, about the various expert, old timer (of which I am one)opinions on the subject of a battery charger-tender for the Gen 2 GT- oh-my head hurt. Now, I ride all the time-but there are a few weeks--vacation, work, when J-Low sits in the garage just waiting for me. :yeah Its not the cost of a battery, but the annoyance of a non-start. Saturday I went over the my dealer and found the Powerlet kit to plug into the back of the acc socket and then directly to the battery to by-past Herr Can bus, thus having a non-switched plug for charger--etc. Ummm I said to meself-, I don't use heated stuff--even in N/Cal it never gets that cold ( for an x-NYer). Crackberry gets charged in motels on road trips. GPS has its own plug up front where Bmw put it. So, I only need a convient place to charge the battery. The kid- (anyone under 50 is a kid) at the parts counter asked if he could help me. Told him my desire to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid-not him) and he walked away. He came back with the owners manual for the BMW GT specific charger pt #71607688865. We read it and wowww. That's exactly what I want. Stage 1--Max charge, Stage 2 volt is preserved with falling current to bring battery up to max asap. Stage3 volt is reduced to maintenance charge. Stage 4 reduction in volts causes a reset-cycle starts again from beginning-"no need to do anything-circuit has remained open". 5 LED's, power, 0, 1/3,2/3 and 3/3. "Battery cannot be overcharged". 3/3= battery is fully charged Maintenance charging is taking place. Unit can remain connected. The battery is maintained in so called "driving simulation cycles" " The unit can remain connected for several months w/o any problems-overcharging is prevented. $140-15% discount for folks who are chocked full of internet misinformation-opinions and just plain confused.
Ok--pluged it into the electrical socket-led-power on, pluged into acc socket under left knee on bike. LED 0-on--charging. OK. No where does it say to go thru that on-off ign, unplug-replug-drop you drawers and stick it up you bum routine. How do I know the circuit on the acc plug was open you ask--cause I have Hyper-Lites spliced into the back of the ass socket wire for power. When I turn off the ign--these lights stay on for 40 or so seconds and the acc circuit shuts down. The Hyper lights were lit meaning the circuit is open. Charger went through 3 stages to final maintiance in 24 hr period. (I know what you're thinkin--your Hyper lits are on the whole time dummy--yea--led's have a very low -miniscule current draw and don't burn out--well not like a filament bulb--so ok.
No fuss-no muss--no cuttin holes on tupperware for a socket--no extra wires to fish around stuff and nottin for the dealer to say--you shouldn't have done that --its not BMW approved--warrantee void.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2007, 6:12 pm
Enthusiast

Phil:
I just bought an 07 S and I was not going to mess with the foo foo canbus system. I know what you are saying about keeping it all BMW. However I changed the accessory plug and wired direct off the battery to my new plug. My battery tender and all my heated gear or what ever works off of this just fine. I have a 15 amp fuse in line. The cost of that bull s**t charger was enough to turn me off.

Bruce
Easthampton, MA
07 K1200S
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2007, 7:21 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Phil:
I just bought an 07 S and I was not going to mess with the foo foo canbus system. I know what you are saying about keeping it all BMW. However I changed the accessory plug and wired direct off the battery to my new plug. My battery tender and all my heated gear or what ever works off of this just fine. I have a 15 amp fuse in line. The cost of that bull s**t charger was enough to turn me off.
Bruce, understood. If I needed a direct socket for similar stuff, I would have gone that route. It isn't difficult and from what I have learned does't cause any headaches. I farkeled my last bike to the max--for me, and guess what-keep it for 2 years and bought the GT. Plug-n-play is my new motto.
Keep the rubber side down friend.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:37 am
Rookie

gel charger mania

I bought the bmw gel charger 2 yrs ago for my 04'. Used the same for my 07' this winter. Well, the ice is finally start'n to brake-up and evrything seems right as rain w/ the 07'. I just connected the plug that came w/ the charger directly to the battery and plugged to the charger. Maintanence light=green comes on after about an hour. We had a below normal temperature pattern most of the winter. Ie: 4-6 weeks of below zero temps at night. 07' was on the charger about 4 months. I may have rode it 1x ea. month Dec. thru Feb. But what do I know? Ride'm don't wax em!!!

ggggggggggg

DON'T WAX'M; JUST RID'M!!

04'KGT=RED SLED/ SAY GOOD-BYE/ SOLD
07'KGT=SQUEEEZA-LICOUS
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 1:39 pm
Addict

Can Bus Charger for the GT is nothing but a big pain in the ass. I was informed by my dealer to stay clear of it because depending on which software updates your bike has it may not work. The most recent software updates shut down the accessories plug after the initial charge, and make the charger useless to maintain the battery. At least once a week you have to cycle the ignition to get it to charge again. I opted for the BMW II charger hardwired to the battery works fine.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 7:06 pm

I am with Marin Phil on this one. I too read all the posts about the many chargers/types/sequences/connections/drilling etc etc etc for charging the bike. I went with the same unit and it is so simple I can't for the life of me figure why anyone would do it any other way.

Step 1. Buy charger
Step 2. Take out of box
Step 3. Read instructions
Step 4. Plug it in
Step 5. Forget about it.

Its really that simple, so simple in fact you can skip step 3 if you want to. Do yourselves a favor gents, don't try to save $$ on cheap battery chargers for a 20+$$ bike when the one from the father land is as easy as pie.

Kind of like trying to go cheap on tires and brakes in my mind.....

my .02

kbikeinbc
07 k1200gt
crystal grey met..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 7:29 pm
Strafist

I bought the new battery charger and use it.

Even simpler is to trash the POS gel battery and put in an Odyssey. Hardwire (or thru a fuse box) a direct recepticle (there's a knock out next to the OEM) and use whatever charger you want.

The Odyssey will also cold or hot spin your engine like nobody's business.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 7:41 pm
Addict-oholic

I like the new battery charger as it desulphateds the battery properly and keeps it "new" longer. I use it on my boat batteries and i notice that they seem to always have a better full charge and not deteriaste as much as the previous float charger I had. these 3 satep chargers really do a great job..

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2008, 9:00 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I like the new battery charger as it desulphateds the battery properly and keeps it "new" longer. I use it on my boat batteries and i notice that they seem to always have a better full charge and not deteriaste as much as the previous float charger I had. these 3 satep chargers really do a great job..
Man, after that statement I wish they made one for my dick.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2008, 7:53 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Man, after that statement I wish they made one for my dick.
"Dick", I did not know you had one !!!!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode