ABS/Brake failure issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:56 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Angry ABS/Brake failure issue

Just a bit frustratedÖ

So Iím on the road yesterday, and as Iím sitting at a light in a small town, my red master warning comes on with an associated ďbrake failureĒ light. Now Iím thinking to myself, I kind of like having brakes, it makes for a much better and lower stress riding experience, so this got my attention. (some of you may remember Iíve had issues with nuisance warnings on this bike before, but this one seemed a little more important.

So I turned off the bike and back on, message gone. Kewl! A mile or so down the road, and its back! I pulled off onto a side street and start seeing if it is more than a message. Of course, it is! The front doesnít seem to take any more effort, but the rear takes a lot more effort, and if I try, I can lock up the back. Iím pretty comfortable with that, since it means I got great stopping power, but no servo assist, and no anti-lock. Iím fine with both of those, so I kept riding. Iíve got a few hundred miles on it since and it is still consistent. It resets when I turn off the bike, but I donítí count on it going too far with out the warning again.

I got my handy-dandy GS-911 out and pulled the code off the abs unit:
25072: Faulty ADC value of rear speed sensor it tells me.

I havenít disturbed anything there, and I ran a quick visual check of the wires, and didnít see anything.

Great, so after a few issues, including being towed to a dealer and another costing me some serious dollars due to the ignorance surrounding this bike, and most recently, a new clutch and throw-out bearing. (The board was down, so I havenít posted that little story yet.)

Now this!!!?!?!?

Iím really starting to wonder if I want to keep this bike. Riding it is awesome, but owning it and being unable to enjoy it is not high on my list of fun things!!!

Iíll let Yíall know what ends up happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:11 am

ABS failure

If I remember correctly, one of the first recalls my dealer told me of, was relocating the wire from the front ABS sensor, as it was routed incorrectly on some bikes, and breaking under stress.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
Iím really starting to wonder if I want to keep this bike. Riding it is awesome, but owning it and being unable to enjoy it is not high on my list of fun things!!!
Richard, if it weren't for bad luck ... maybe yours just has slightly off center Karma :wtf

When my dealer finally got the word on how to do the software updates, the bike has been flawless for me - oh, yeah, that's a big help ain't it

Seriously though, this should be warranty work yes?

IBA 18417
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 2:30 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOlson
Seriously though, this should be warranty work yes?
Yes, it will be warranty, but no bike is no bike, even if I dont' have to pay for it out of pocket...

I'm pretty sure it isn't Karma related, since I'm such an Angel, but not so much luck either. I've backed off the milage I'm putting on it, but it still has almost 30K on it. I'm concerned about my cross country trip this summer and the desert crossings to Utah.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 5:23 pm

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it isn't Karma related, since I'm such an Angel....
oh yeah ...

Quote:
I'm concerned about my cross country trip this summer and the desert crossings to Utah.
Just put gas in it and ride it ... 'specially to Utah as there will most likely be several 10's of misguided individuals who would assist your karma deficient a$$ if required

IBA 18417
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:46 pm

Red face Abs

Quote:
Just a bit frustratedÖ

So Iím on the road yesterday, and as Iím sitting at a light in a small town, my red master warning comes on with an associated ďbrake failureĒ light. Now Iím thinking to myself, I kind of like having brakes, it makes for a much better and lower stress riding experience, so this got my attention. (some of you may remember Iíve had issues with nuisance warnings on this bike before, but this one seemed a little more important.

So I turned off the bike and back on, message gone. Kewl! A mile or so down the road, and its back! I pulled off onto a side street and start seeing if it is more than a message. Of course, it is! The front doesnít seem to take any more effort, but the rear takes a lot more effort, and if I try, I can lock up the back. Iím pretty comfortable with that, since it means I got great stopping power, but no servo assist, and no anti-lock. Iím fine with both of those, so I kept riding. Iíve got a few hundred miles on it since and it is still consistent. It resets when I turn off the bike, but I donítí count on it going too far with out the warning again.

I got my handy-dandy GS-911 out and pulled the code off the abs unit:
25072: Faulty ADC value of rear speed sensor it tells me.

I havenít disturbed anything there, and I ran a quick visual check of the wires, and didnít see anything.

Great, so after a few issues, including being towed to a dealer and another costing me some serious dollars due to the ignorance surrounding this bike, and most recently, a new clutch and throw-out bearing. (The board was down, so I havenít posted that little story yet.)

Now this!!!?!?!?

I would check the wire from the senser to where it plugs in to the main harness. unplug it and see if it is dirty or corroded. DO NOT TURN THE KEY ON WITH THE WIRE UNPLUGGED.
also look at the senser and see if it looks OK. Been damaged by a tire change??
H
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:03 am

Not exactly what you were seeking, but I gotta ask: the GS-911 works on the GT, not just the GSs??? Where do you connect it? Hmmm, if it works I may have to buy one now cuz it will work with both my BMWs.
Anyway, you need a 2nd bike so when the GTs feeling bad, you can ride the other. Again, sorry no help here. That recall sounds promising though. OH, and tell the stealer what the 911 error code is so they have the stuff ready when you come in.
Greg
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2007, 1:17 am

Sorry to hear it Richard. Your GT sounds like my first BMW bike. I was having issues everywhere. Virtually every trip away from home had something fail. I knew it wasn't the norm for single BMW bikes to have that many problems and I didn't even have a first year model bike where you expect the usual extra gremlins.

I gave up and traded it in when my warranty was close to being up. I simply wanted something I could enjoy on those extended trips and not worry about what was going to fail next and was it going to get me hurt.

Obviously you'd take a huge hit on depreciation if you did sell it, but there's always the upside. If you replaced it with another GT there'd be no servo brakes and a few new goodies that weren't available to you when you purchased like the TPM and the xenon headlight. I know you won't have any use for the traction control.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:42 am

Same issue here

Just got back from a 7000klm trip. Made it home with no issues, (this frigging seat sucks by the way) went to take the bike to work the next day and she lit up like an x-mas tree 2 klm from home. No sevo assist to help stop the bike.
As I drove her to work..(because I had to be a work) the problem would come and go. When I got home I call roadside assistance and they toed her to my dealership 200klm away with no issue or cost to me. Dealer told me it was an electrical component failure. They are going to replace it next week.
Now I just have to figure out how to get it back home. Dosn't sound like roadside is willing to bring her home for no cost. Any one have suggestions about how to deal with getting her home at no coat to me.
I also noticed the gas gage is off by 2 U.S gallons, I asked the dealership to have a look at that as well. Is this a common issue?; anyone know?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:47 am
Addict

Quote:
I'm concerned about my cross country trip this summer and the desert crossings to Utah.
No U.S. 50 or U.S. 6 for you!!!

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode