Power for GPS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Question Power for GPS

I bought a connector from the BMW shop that is used to power up the BMW GPS unit from the bikes switched power system. Has anyone used this? I'm trying to find out where to plug it in, apparently it is connected up somewhere near the battery. This connector has 3 wires and is a BMW part. I plan to use it to power up my radar detector.

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:57 pm

Dave - On the '06 it's just in front of the battery...cabled tied to the bracket. But, if you want all the details, use the Search function on the bar above and find the threads on this topic; there are several. Saves us from typing too much .
Cheers, Greg
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2007, 1:06 am
IBR# 366

Dave,

I installed this connector the day I picked up my GT. It's powering my GPS, V1, and the relay trigger for my Heat-troller. The fact that it retains power after the key is off is annoying, especially when you're parked at a grocery store and the V1 is going nuts. I wish it went hard down when the forks were locked. I'll rewire things into a proper fuse block later, but it does work well enough for now.

I can't find the original post with how to find the connector, but I can type.

To find the connector, pull the two screws on top of the gas tank and remove the battery cover. Look for the body-colored plastic brace that runs across in front of the battery. Run your fingers under it and the metal brace until you feel the connector. You can pull it out just enough to see the zip tie, which you can cut. Pull the safety cover out of the connector, insert the new plug, connect your wires, replace the battery cover and you're done.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2007, 7:26 am

Here is a link that may be useful.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...8&page=1&pp=10
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 5:43 am

bike adapter

I have one of the adapters with the yellow pigtails and I have found the bike end socket to plug it into. All very neat. However, did I read in one of the previous threads that there is also a bike end connector under the rear seat somewhere ? I can't find it and I am trying to get a wiring diagram to see if there is actually one there.
Can anyone verify if one exists somewhere under the rear seat ?

Spud

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode