TPM warning light. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 6:32 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

TPM warning light.

The TPM starts off reading 34/38 w/ the yellow warning light on, and the rear pressure flashing. As the tire warms up and the rear pressure reads 39 or 40, I pull over and turn off the ignition and restart. Warning's gone and all's well until I stop long enough for the tire to cool off, and then it's the same proceedure all over.

I have repeatedly checked the tire pressures w/ a very accurate gauge and they are 37/42 cold.

Is there a way to reset/recalibrate the TPM without going to the a stealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 7:38 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
The TPM starts off reading 34/38 w/ the yellow warning light on, and the rear pressure flashing. As the tire warms up and the rear pressure reads 39 or 40, I pull over and turn off the ignition and restart. Warning's gone and all's well until I stop long enough for the tire to cool off, and then it's the same proceedure all over.

I have repeatedly checked the tire pressures w/ a very accurate gauge and they are 37/42 cold.

Is there a way to reset/recalibrate the TPM without going to the a stealer?
David:
My first ride on my S the yellow warning light was on and the rear tire pressure flashing. The front tire had 38 or 39 psi and the rear had about the same. The TPM is set to the factory recommended pressures which is 36.3 front and 42.1 rear. The rear tire had to be inflated to 42 psi to get the warning light to go off.
What I don't know is once the pressures are set does the TPM calibrate and then when the psi drops a certain value the warning lights come on. Since we have the ability to monitor the pressure and see if it has gone up or down I think the warning lights should not come on until say 5 psi lower than recommended. Of course if sudden air lose it would come on right away. My two tire gauges match the TPM - one is exact the other about 1 psi off. Try another gauge before you give up on the TPM reading.
This TPM is new to everyone including the dealers. It may take a little time to get it right. Who knows version ? comes out with an updated TPM program.
Good Luck

Bruce
Easthampton, MA
07 K1200S
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 9:32 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Bruce,

I have 3 gauges, two of which agree w/ each other and not the TPM. I hesitate to fill the tires to 37/42 on the TPM as this may be actually overinflating them.

DS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 4:24 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

This morning I filled the tires so that the TPM showed 37/41 and that shut it up. Felt quite stiff 2up, but we got our ride in. I'll recheck the pressures w/ a gauge once it cools off, but I'm betting they are high.

Any downside to running the tire pressures a bit high...other than a stiffer ride?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 4:26 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
This morning I filled the tires so that the TPM showed 37/41 and that shut it up. Felt quite stiff 2up, but we got our ride in. I'll recheck the pressures w/ a gauge once it cools off, but I'm betting they are high.

Any downside to running the tire pressures a bit high...other than a stiffer ride?
Your front tire might not cup or feather. I've been running my tires with higher pressure for years.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Your front tire might not cup or feather. I've been running my tires with higher pressure for years.
Ditto. My TPM reads 42/45 right now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 7:13 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

OK, guess that'll do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode