TPM warning light. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 6:32 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 376
TPM warning light.

The TPM starts off reading 34/38 w/ the yellow warning light on, and the rear pressure flashing. As the tire warms up and the rear pressure reads 39 or 40, I pull over and turn off the ignition and restart. Warning's gone and all's well until I stop long enough for the tire to cool off, and then it's the same proceedure all over.

I have repeatedly checked the tire pressures w/ a very accurate gauge and they are 37/42 cold.

Is there a way to reset/recalibrate the TPM without going to the a stealer?
DavidS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2007, 7:38 pm
Enthusiast
 
brucev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Easthampton, MA, USA
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
The TPM starts off reading 34/38 w/ the yellow warning light on, and the rear pressure flashing. As the tire warms up and the rear pressure reads 39 or 40, I pull over and turn off the ignition and restart. Warning's gone and all's well until I stop long enough for the tire to cool off, and then it's the same proceedure all over.

I have repeatedly checked the tire pressures w/ a very accurate gauge and they are 37/42 cold.

Is there a way to reset/recalibrate the TPM without going to the a stealer?
David:
My first ride on my S the yellow warning light was on and the rear tire pressure flashing. The front tire had 38 or 39 psi and the rear had about the same. The TPM is set to the factory recommended pressures which is 36.3 front and 42.1 rear. The rear tire had to be inflated to 42 psi to get the warning light to go off.
What I don't know is once the pressures are set does the TPM calibrate and then when the psi drops a certain value the warning lights come on. Since we have the ability to monitor the pressure and see if it has gone up or down I think the warning lights should not come on until say 5 psi lower than recommended. Of course if sudden air lose it would come on right away. My two tire gauges match the TPM - one is exact the other about 1 psi off. Try another gauge before you give up on the TPM reading.
This TPM is new to everyone including the dealers. It may take a little time to get it right. Who knows version ? comes out with an updated TPM program.
Good Luck

Bruce
Easthampton, MA
07 K1200S
brucev is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 9:32 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 376
Bruce,

I have 3 gauges, two of which agree w/ each other and not the TPM. I hesitate to fill the tires to 37/42 on the TPM as this may be actually overinflating them.

DS
DavidS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 4:24 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 376
This morning I filled the tires so that the TPM showed 37/41 and that shut it up. Felt quite stiff 2up, but we got our ride in. I'll recheck the pressures w/ a gauge once it cools off, but I'm betting they are high.

Any downside to running the tire pressures a bit high...other than a stiffer ride?
DavidS is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 4:26 pm
Strafist
 
grifscoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Outside New Braunfels, TX, USA
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS
This morning I filled the tires so that the TPM showed 37/41 and that shut it up. Felt quite stiff 2up, but we got our ride in. I'll recheck the pressures w/ a gauge once it cools off, but I'm betting they are high.

Any downside to running the tire pressures a bit high...other than a stiffer ride?
Your front tire might not cup or feather. I've been running my tires with higher pressure for years.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
grifscoots is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator
 
chuckwilmot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Anaheim, CA, USA
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Your front tire might not cup or feather. I've been running my tires with higher pressure for years.
Ditto. My TPM reads 42/45 right now.
chuckwilmot is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 7:13 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 376
OK, guess that'll do it.
DavidS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forum Humor eljeffe Humor 12 May 10th, 2012 1:09 am
Brake pad warning light. ???? bucky1943 K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 36 May 9th, 2011 7:46 pm
Warning light self-check shakatac Other K-Bikes Discussion 2 Oct 20th, 2006 12:26 pm
Oil Pressure Warning Light tbp K1200RS/GT (Classic) 10 Apr 4th, 2006 6:56 pm
New LED Tail Light for the K1200S KPower K12/1300S 30 Nov 14th, 2005 8:00 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome