2500km in 20 Hrs on new 07GT,bike set up - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 1:14 am Thread Starter

2500km in 20 Hrs on new 07GT,bike set up

I got back from a bit of a ride yesterday (Good Friday), from Sydney to Cairns on the inland route. I did 2500km in 20 hrs. I didnt set out to do it that quick, I meant to do it over 3 days, but the roads were open and when I got to each place I had planned to overnight in, I felt fine and decided to push on a bit more. During the last few hours I was thinking of what I would change on the bike or setup for long range touring. There were no freeways on the route, mainly open country roads with plenty of visibility for "coppers and hoppers", "cops and kangas" or police and kangaroos".
First of all, the bike was great overall and I arrived feeling great (apart from the back of my legs). First of all, the seat. Yes, its not the most comfortable out there and no doubt I will get it changed or reupholstered. After 100km you notice it cutting into the back of your legs instead of spreading the weight evenly over your backside. Before I change the seat, I might look into getting one of the removable seat air cushions to spread the load out a bit more.
Next thing I might look into is lowered footpegs.(for long distance trips only, removed for trips to the twisties) At 6, tall, I found I was having to drop my legs off the pegs for a while to stretch them a bit. lower foot pegs for long trips might be something I will look into. When I dropped my legs down, the seat felt beter as well. Maybe with my legs/feet lower, the seat might be more comfortable. (has anyone tried the lowered pegs?). Sometimes on the big open roads at high speeds, I would lean forwards on the tank bag, rest my helmet on it and look through the screen, with my legs on the passenger pegs. This was a comforatble way to eat up the distance at high speeds.
I had the high BMW screen and found it was good overall if I wear ear plugs. Without ear plugs I would have to keep the screen all the way up, but I prefered the plugs and being able to put the screen down when I wanted more fresh air. I have heard of big screens cracking at high screens, so I dont want to go bigger.
I did the whole trip with the bars in the 2nd from top position, bit if I was doing the trip again, I would pick them up all the way. I had just a bit of weight on my wrist, which I diodnt feel for the 1st 12 hrs, but then, could start to fell it a little.
Can anyone tell me how far they can get after the bike says it has 0km to go on the gauge. I would like to be able to use up more tank capacity so I dont have to stop as often. The fuel warning was coming on after 300km.How far can the bike go after it says 0 km to go? I dont mind stopping every 300 km, but on the route I took, I had to back track and top up on fuel when I saw a last fuel for 163km sign and wasnt sure if it was open,(next one after that was 330km away).
I had the ESA set on comfort and preload for rider with luggage. I didnt have much cornering, but did have some 2nd rate roads, so I didnt mind it being mushy. Once it was dark, I found people were flicking their high beems at me as my low beam must have been in their eyes. I then set the preload to rider and passenger to pich the back end up and drop the lights down. As it worked out I had over 100kg of luggage so this would have been the best setting. To get 100+kg of luggage on the bike, I had most of my handtools (I was returning from a work trip) packed inside my work clothes stuffed inside the panniers and small 28 liter top case. The majority of the weight was in a large duffel bag which sat on the back seat and rested on each pannier. It was as wide as the panniers and nearly as high as the top case. Plenty of storage
I had drinks, maps, phone etc in the tank bag. I made a slight detour when I stopped to help another rider whos tire went down. I back tracked and got him one of those aerosols which you plug into your tire to reseal it when it gets a puncture. I might get one of those if I go on more long rides. Better than nursing a flat tire over 360km with heavy loads to the next repair center. (which could be closed over the 5 day Easter break).
I have already got my intercom system, and will hook it up this week, and I would like to had a I pod plugged in or even a radio If I can. I already have a CB UHF radio which will be installed soon.
Thats about it for the bike. I will be looking into another jacket for cool weather, or riding pants with a matching zipper. I found that at high speeds, my jacket would ride up and I was constantly reaching back to pull it down. The adjuster which keep it tight against my body kept letting go as well, so a new cool weather jacket and matching pants will be coming. I used the BMW "touring" gloves, more to keep from getting sun burn than from cold. I would have preferd some thinner ,less bulky and clumsy gloves for warm weather.

Well, after the ride I have dropped off all the luggage,panniers,top case, tank bag dropped the bars to the low position and cleaned off 20kg of bugs and crud. I have just fitted the new CeeBailies 2" shorter than standard screen. Ive set the suspension to sport and rider with luggage and am about to go out and have some fun on Australia twistiest road.(Gillies Highway, south of Cairns).
Overall I,m very happy with the bike. I started the day with 2500km on the clock and now have 5075km at the end of the day. (well early the next morning). It has done a good job as a tourer, now I,m about to take it into the twisties to mix it with the sports bikes.

Last edited by cr500; Apr 7th, 2007 at 1:22 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 1:47 am
IBR# 366

Nice ride report, Rod. 2,500km in 20 hours with stock ergonomics? I'm impressed. That's a 125km/hr average, include stops for fuel and to help stranded riders. Well done.

I have the Verholen peg extenders. They let your knees stretch just a bit more, but I'm already scraping occasionally with them in place. I'll try it without, and if my legs are still comfortable then I'll pull them off.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 5:33 am Thread Starter

Meese, at the end of the high speed 360km section, my average speed, including a quick fuel top up, was 162kmh, going by the bike computer. Some other averages between fuel top ups were 148kmh and a few around 130. Once it got dark, my averages were down to 106 and 99kmh.
As for the lower pegs, I am thinking of them just for the long distance work. When ever I work ,it is a fair way from home and requires a big trip on the bike. When I,m home, which is often, I have a few good twisty riding areas with great weather coming up. This is when I will fit the standard pegs back. I have put the short screen on and lowered the bars today, but a better seat will be good for all occaisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 5:57 am
Enthusiast

Mate, that was some ride. My butt is very sore after 120km but I guess if you keep going you can get used to it, or else you like torture!

See my post re fuel consumption on the Australian page on this site. I get more than 350km with about 22l put in, which is about 30km past the zero km to go mark. I have been trying to get close to 24l in the tank (the maximum usable capacity according to BMW) so that I can see if it really takes 24l, but 22.9l is the most I have put in and that was after about 370km of city traffic and well after it told me I had zero km to go. I haven't been game to go any further in case I run out of fuel.

I would love to have the old type of reserve where you had to switch to reserve when the main tank ran out and you knew exactly how much fuel was left at that time.

I am getting about 6 to 6.2 l/100km, despite the bike computer telling me I am getting 5.4. This equates to 387km to 400km for 24l, which is why I was reluctant to go past 370km withut filling up.

By the way, I use 98 octane fuel and fill it to the bottom of the filler tube as per the manual. You can't get much more in anyway.

Enjoy the twisties and thanks for the great story.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 5:02 pm
Addict

Thumbs up

Rod, you are one sick man!
I was buggered after riding Canberra to Melbourne and back over a weekend!
My knees killed me, and my BM helmet was too tight (my fault).
Glad you are happy with the GT. I had the only GT in Nth QLD for some time. There goes that claim to fame!
Best wishes from Balgal Beach (60kms Nth of Townsville). I'm home for Easter.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:03 pm

Did a huge ride with my son

Put over 7000klm over a 2.5 week vacation. Windsor, Ontario to Florida with a lot of side trips. Legs did get a little sore and ass killed. My son who is 12 had a blast the whole time. I had a back back on the whole way filled with a dvd player food and gamboy. The bike was caring a lot of extra weight as well. I averaged according to the computer my gas milage was anywere from 4.25 to 5.11L /100klm, so I would say average about 5L/100klm Average speed was about 120klm.
I would like you fill up at 300 or so klm, because my gas gage said I was 50klm to empty. I was adding 3.5 to 4.5 U.S gallons every time. That means my gage must be off by atleast 2 gallons. I am having it looked at and recalibrated as I type.
The bike handled better than my old R1150RT, and handled the Smokey Mt with ease. Didn't have to do any down shifting unless speeds dropped below 40mph or so. (Sorry for the mixing of mpg and such but the states are still old school.)
Can't wait to get it back from the shop.
Something really has to be done about the seats, I didn't put out the extra cash for the heated seats to just replace them. BMW should do something for us.
There is no reason it should be that painful to drive 8 to 16 hr at a time. All though I did find all I needed was 10 min off the bike and I was good for another 300klm
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:02 pm
Addict

Back to the Fuel Question

Ok, you Aussies, stop hogging the replies. . On the orig question of fuel consumption, I have 7k (miles that is) on my "06. I have found that every time the fuel warning goes to 0 and filled it up, it takes 5-5.3 gal. So, if the tank holds 6.3 then what the warning, yellow light and count down is saying (at least to me) is that it is a count-down to the reserve. Many fill-ups same observations.

Ok, Aussies, continue putting shrimp on the bobbie.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 5:31 am

yes.....
i believe it is a "countdown to reserve" as well

when that countdown reaches "0" there OUGHT to be 1 gallon in the tank
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 5:02 pm
Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
Ok, you Aussies, stop hogging the replies. . On the orig question of fuel consumption, I have 7k (miles that is) on my "06. I have found that every time the fuel warning goes to 0 and filled it up, it takes 5-5.3 gal. So, if the tank holds 6.3 then what the warning, yellow light and count down is saying (at least to me) is that it is a count-down to the reserve. Many fill-ups same observations.

Ok, Aussies, continue putting shrimp on the bobbie.
Hey Phil.
That's 'Prawns on the Barby'.
Paul Hogan only called them Shrimp (a name we don't use) so you blokes over there would understand!
Ride safe mate.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytown
Hey Phil.
That's 'Prawns on the Barby'.
Paul Hogan only called them Shrimp (a name we don't use) so you blokes over there would understand!
Ride safe mate.

Ken.
MMMMM, prawns. Throw in a mess of mudbugs with them, some taters, corn on the cob, sausage and the right spices and we be talking nirvana.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode