HELP...might be stuck on road.. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 1:31 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Unhappy HELP...might be stuck on road..

Dealer is doing 600 mile service. He has no FD oil! Does anyone know the spec for the FD oil? I might be stuck 200+ miles from home

FD = final drive, and the bike is a 2007 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 1:37 pm

I think a good 75/140 gear lube should be fine.
Try NAPA if you can find some synthetic, even better.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 2:12 pm
IBR# 366

You're kidding, right? The dealer ought to know the spec, and if he doesn't have the pretty BMW bottle on hand, then he should get himself down to Napa or equivalent and get you a quart of proper-spec oil. Or really, he shouldn't have started the job in the first place until he had all the proper parts and tools ready.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:21 am
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.

Location: The " Jersey Shore" in the mountains of Toms River, New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
You're kidding, right? The dealer ought to know the spec, and if he doesn't have the pretty BMW bottle on hand, then he should get himself down to Napa or equivalent and get you a quart of proper-spec oil. Or really, he shouldn't have started the job in the first place until he had all the proper parts and tools ready.
+1

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory.....lasts forever. Shane Falco,"The Replacements" 00'
7.1 and done...06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evoluzione o2 modifier, Pazzo "shorty" levers, Cortech Sport Tail Bag and Saddlebags.....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
So the shop says they're out of all FD fluid? It should be the same stuff being used in all the new style K bikes and R bikes and they have none? How does a business like that operate? Being as the original spec was for the fluid to be lifetime you'd think they could put your drained oil back in without harming anything if it's just temporary to get you home. Or like the previous suggestion I like they should drain a bike that hasn't been sold.

I'm curious to hear the final outcome. Did the dealer make it right?

BrianT

07 K1200GT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT
So the shop says they're out of all FD fluid? It should be the same stuff being used in all the new style K bikes and R bikes and they have none? How does a business like that operate? Being as the original spec was for the fluid to be lifetime you'd think they could put your drained oil back in without harming anything if it's just temporary to get you home. Or like the previous suggestion I like they should drain a bike that hasn't been sold.

I'm curious to hear the final outcome. Did the dealer make it right?

Well, this would be a touchy subject anywhere...but what it comes down to is your last statement before I would go into the store swinging the axe. "did the dealer make it right"

That's what seperates the men from the boys dealer-wise for me. Inventory management is an extremely hard thing to keep running 100% efficiently and smoothly. If my dealer were out, I wouldn't go ballistic because that's not fair to them. BUT, and that's a BIG BUT (no, not like Jennifer Lopez ), they must make every attempt to make it right for you and to get you on the road. If they shrugged their shoulders and said "sorry, tough luck", then I'd be pissed.

I remember a time a few years back when BMW (not the dealers, but corporate) ran out of oil filters for the oil heads. Yup, hands down out of stock. Oh yes, I've heard of oil being backordered too. Go figure, there's lots of reasons the dealer could be out, however it comes down to how they handle the situation, for me atleast
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 1:10 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRPAL
Inventory management is an extremely hard thing to keep running 100% efficiently and smoothly.
In these days of computerized operations, one would think that the dealer in question is up to speed on that, and has set their replenishment level notification appropriately on the stuff that they wish to keep in stock. After all, this is the 21st century....

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
In these days of computerized operations, one would think that the dealer in question is up to speed on that, and has set their replenishment level notification appropriately on the stuff that they wish to keep in stock. After all, this is the 21st century....

I certainly can not disagree with you on that fact. However, I must maintain the devil's advocate on this discussion.

The assistance of computers certainly aide in management of inventory levels and sales forecasts. For example, if the dealer on average is selling 20 quarts a month of final drive fluid, the system may say, in order to to facilitate appropriate and reasonable stocking levels, to keep 30 quarts in stock each month, prompting re-orders only when necessary.

What happens if the dealership has a run one month on final drive oil? Let's say the dealer sold an abnormal 15 new GT's instead of the normal 6 units, all requiring final drive oil changes at the 600 mile service. Plus, the weather outside was nice all month and the riders in the area racked up tons of miles and all decided to change their rear drive oil. Well, the computer is in no-way able to predict/forecast this, thus it would run out of stock prematurely. This is where a good parts manager (aka human input) is valuable.

Now, this example is total fiction, and I am not trying to make an excuse for the dealer (well, kinda), but this is just the type of rationale that goes on in my head BEFORE I jump at my dealers throat.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 3:32 pm
Addict

Well, the computer is in no-way able to predict/forecast this, thus it would run out of stock prematurely. This is where a good parts manager (aka human input) is valuable.

A service outfit that manages to run out of maintenance items like fluids, filters, and/or recommended wear/replaceable parts doesn't sound very well-run.

However, I do think it would be insightful to know more detail about how everything is set up, such as how and at what level BMW stocks parts here in the U.S., and what kind of arrangement exists between dealerships (if any) with regard to material transfers. Seems to me that a system would be in place to deal with this sort of development.

In the end, I'd still tweak the dealership's nose over this, as it would generally be preferable to hold off on doing the work until all the required items are in hand as opposed to damn-the-torpedoes-full-steam-ahead and then discovering the customer's bike will have to be laid up for a day or more because nobody checked beforehand whether all the necessary materials were available.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode