still no TPM retrofit for 2007 GTs? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 9:28 am Thread Starter

still no TPM retrofit for 2007 GTs?

i hate to keep beating a dead horse
but....
should i give up ALL hope that there will ever be a TPM retrofit for my '07 GT?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:40 am
Noob

I talked to our local BMW area rep on Friday. All he would say is that the TPM retrofit is still in the works and he "thinks" it will be retrofitable, but he would make no guarantees.

On another retrofit item, he said the ASC was still very much up in the air, but would "probably be retrofitable on '07 GT made after the first of the year. For 07 GT's made between Sept 06 and the end of December 06, they might be retrofitable but will be much more expensive. They will require breaking into the main wiring harness, changing out various coils and other items that will probably make this a no-go.

Lynn Clark
07 K12GT CGM
06 Suzuki DR650SE
03 Honda Rebel
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalynn
I talked to our local BMW area rep on Friday. All he would say is that the TPM retrofit is still in the works and he "thinks" it will be retrofitable, but he would make no guarantees.

On another retrofit item, he said the ASC was still very much up in the air, but would "probably be retrofitable on '07 GT made after the first of the year. For 07 GT's made between Sept 06 and the end of December 06, they might be retrofitable but will be much more expensive. They will require breaking into the main wiring harness, changing out various coils and other items that will probably make this a no-go.
thanks, Lynn
i really want the TPM much more than the ASC
it is nothing less than SHOCKING to me that such an expensive retrofit is needed for the ASC upgrade

in fact, BMW OUGHT to be "embarrassed" by that and prensent some "cheaper" solution as a peace offering to the folks who paid 25K for this bike... with all the goodies (like i, and so many other here, did)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 7:34 am
Veteran

Greg, (welcome back)

You know how dear this subject is to my own heart.

One of the "lost threads" was on this subject. I had posted something like this:

I've spoken with the tech manager for BMW Canada and he has told me to expect the "kit" to be available in May. Apparently, the kit should have been available in November, but the originally-supplied rear (may have been front, I don't remember now) valve had a QA problem and consistently leaked. The problem has been resolved.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Greg, (welcome back)

You know how dear this subject is to my own heart.

One of the "lost threads" was on this subject. I had posted something like this:

I've spoken with the tech manager for BMW Canada and he has told me to expect the "kit" to be available in May. Apparently, the kit should have been available in November, but the originally-supplied rear (may have been front, I don't remember now) valve had a QA problem and consistently leaked. The problem has been resolved.
thanks for the "welcome back"
this is good news...
maybe.... just maybe we'll have the option of ordering and installing this system soon
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:57 am
Veteran

Greg,

Dave at BMW Motorrad Canada is going to call me as soon as he has a number for the kit. I'll post it here as soon as I have it.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Greg,

Dave at BMW Motorrad Canada is going to call me as soon as he has a number for the kit. I'll post it here as soon as I have it.
that is FANTASTIC
i appreciate that
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 6:16 am

TPM retrofit

Dont know if this helps or confuses the issue. I have an 07 GT on order for delivery next month. The bike was originally specified without the alarm system (i was originally going to switch over the alarm unit from my K1200R which was a BMW after sales fit) but when i ordered the TPM they said i also had to have a new alarm as the TPM logic was built into the alarm electronics. I was also under the impression that the TPM transducers were band mounted onto the wheel and had nothing to do with the valves.

If the above is correct it would seem that it may be possible to fit the tranducer bands on the wheel (which is essentially done useing a steel band like a giant hose clamp and put in the uprated alarm module to get the TPM logic.

If this helps you great. if it causes more confusion then i am sorry.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
The bike was originally specified without the alarm system (i was originally going to switch over the alarm unit from my K1200R which was a BMW after sales fit) but when i ordered the TPM they said i also had to have a new alarm as the TPM logic was built into the alarm electronics.
Your dealer is giving you bad info about the TPM. My bike came with the TPM and I do not have an alarm. It almost sounds like he's got the alarm confused with the BC (board computer) as you do need that to view the TPM measurements.

BrianT

07 K1200GT
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Noob

I, for the life of me, can't figure out why you would be concerned about having TPM on your bikes.

Unfortunately, my new GT came with it, and based on the unpredictable behavior I have had with this feature on 3 of my cars, it has not proven to be trouble free and reliable technology.

Ask any automobile service department about TPM troubles, and they will tell you it has caused more confusion and complaints from their customers than anything in recent years.

I will always believe that an observant owner with an accurate tire gauge is the best bet on tire inflation issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode