Odd sensation returning to the GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:59 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 497
Odd sensation returning to the GT

I have been putting a lot of miles on the GSA recently so I decided to run the GT for a while. Right when I got on it I noticed a lot of obvious differences. The big one was the sensation at slower speed turns as if the tires (still on Z6's until the Avons get put on) were flat. I pulled over and checked them - 36/42. The steering just seemed heavier and more purposeful. I didn't remember it this way. I have some thoughts on this that I wanted to float:

1) Could it be the fact that the GT has a steering damper and I was noticing it more coming from the GSA (the GT is my first bike with a dampener)?

2) Narrower bars = more turning effort?

3) Stickier tires? The GSA is running Anakees.

4) Lower cg therefore more felt effort getting off center?

5) Some combination of all of the above?

6) None of the above & I'm screwed?

I will say that getting to run a hex-head next to a slant 4 is something that everyone should try. The differences between the two become evident real fast.

Thanks!

Brian
bnblazer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:37 am
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marietta, GA, USA
Posts: 71
SO...
After riding both for extended periods which do you prefer?
Please try and ignore the obvious differences in their power and mission in life.

BUT when you were done with that ride, which "type" of ride do you prefer?


Sledzep
sledzep01 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:58 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 497
I have been really struggling with this one lately. The easy answer is that they both preform their designed missions better than any other bike I have ridden.

This June I am taking a solo 3 week trip to the "Pacific North Left" from Wisconsin. I am not sure what bike I plan on taking. Part of the trip will take me through Yellowstone and Hell's Canyon National Recreation Area in Oregon. Obviously both great places for the GSA. That said, I will also be running a bunch of slab, and the GT will really help me do battle with the truck traffic.

When I want to pretend that I am Freddie Spencer I love the GT. When my man crush on Ewan McGreggor and Charlie Boorman hits I am on the GSA wishing I was in Mongolia.

It really is a "horse a piece."

Brian
bnblazer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:04 pm
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
I have been putting a lot of miles on the GSA recently so I decided to run the GT for a while. Right when I got on it I noticed a lot of obvious differences. The big one was the sensation at slower speed turns as if the tires (still on Z6's until the Avons get put on) were flat. I pulled over and checked them - 36/42. The steering just seemed heavier and more purposeful. I didn't remember it this way. I have some thoughts on this that I wanted to float:

1) Could it be the fact that the GT has a steering damper and I was noticing it more coming from the GSA (the GT is my first bike with a dampener)?

2) Narrower bars = more turning effort?

3) Stickier tires? The GSA is running Anakees.

4) Lower cg therefore more felt effort getting off center?

5) Some combination of all of the above?

6) None of the above & I'm screwed?

I will say that getting to run a hex-head next to a slant 4 is something that everyone should try. The differences between the two become evident real fast.

Thanks!

Brian
none of this seems surprising considering the geometry and construction of both bikes....

you DO have the "best of both worlds," my friend

and.....
ALL GTs.... DO have a steering dampener from the factory
ClearwaterBMW is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 12:27 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 497
Hey Dr. Greg! I was wondering where you have been. You no postie for a while!

Brian
bnblazer is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 1:22 pm
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
Hey Dr. Greg! I was wondering where you have been. You no postie for a while!

Brian
ah, spending too much time on the MV and Ducati sites, i'm EMBARRASSED to say

so.....
how are YOU?
ClearwaterBMW is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:00 pm
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 232
Brian - I've got an even more extreme change: between my F650GS and the KGT! Talk about different machines, but I exchange riding them almost daily. After I've ridden the K for a bit, the F seems weightless and so easy to flick around, but so slow (relatively) and lots of vibes. But, it's my fav for tight twisties, and of course off road. The K is my long distance tourer and wider twisty demon.
Oh, and welcome back other Greg!
Greg
GregC is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 5:35 am
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
Oh, and welcome back other Greg!
Greg
Thanks, Greg
i appreciate it
ClearwaterBMW is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 6:19 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
ah, spending too much time on the MV and Ducati sites, i'm EMBARRASSED to say

so.....
how are YOU?
I was doing great until the snow came back. Now I'm looking for people to hurt.

Brian
bnblazer is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 6:20 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC
Brian - I've got an even more extreme change: between my F650GS and the KGT! Talk about different machines, but I exchange riding them almost daily. After I've ridden the K for a bit, the F seems weightless and so easy to flick around, but so slow (relatively) and lots of vibes. But, it's my fav for tight twisties, and of course off road. The K is my long distance tourer and wider twisty demon.
Oh, and welcome back other Greg!
Greg
That is how I feel too Greg. The GSA is more "flickable" than the GT. However, the GT is much more at home running fast on the slab.

Brian
bnblazer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Returning to Fold K12M5 K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 5 Sep 2nd, 2006 3:38 pm
HELP - Returning rider with dead bike. ground0 Other K-Bikes Discussion 3 Aug 28th, 2006 9:17 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome