extending final drive oil change? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 5:37 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

extending final drive oil change?

I have an '07 Gt with 1500 miles on it. Dealer forgot to do the final drive oil change at 600 mile service. Went to dealer today after having bike parked for winter. I thought I would need an oil change since it sat all winter in the garage. He said the oil should be good since it only had 500 miles since the last change, and said I could just wait for the 6000 service to change the final drive oil.
I know BMW says to change final drive oil at 600 miles----what should I do??
I have pre-paid maintenance for three years---should I just have him change the oil and final drive now???

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 5:54 pm

ask the bmw rep?

The reason to change the oil (one time) in the rear is because of the additives in the machining coolant/cutting fluid and to wash out this crap.

I would ask him to change it ASAP or contact BMW and get it in writing that your rear end maintenance coverage will be extended beyond what you have.

IMHO..

Cheers.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 8:22 pm
Addict

I would also make them change it.
The maint schedule for the 07 bikes says 600 miles, so make them do it now even though you are late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:53 pm
IBR# 366

Not sure if I have this right from your post. If the rear drive oil was changed at 1,000 miles, then don't worry about it. If it was not changed since new, then I'd get it done as soon as it's convenient. That may be at 6K miles, or maybe you just decide it's a nice day for a ride to the dealer.

I had my rear drive oil changed at 100 miles. Figured most of the gunk would get churned up right at the beginning. Then it was changed again at the 600-miles service two days later. I'll probably do it every 12K from here. Oil is cheap, and I've already had two bearings and one drive seal go on these "bulletproof" BMWs.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 1:07 pm

It was my understanding that now that the rearend change is part of scheduled maintainance that they were being shipped new with a lighter grade oil because it was only going to be in there 600 miles, then the good stuff goes in.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 4:35 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Just a quick update. I just had the rear drive oil changed today. Dealer said it looked like it was brand new, even though it had about 1500 miles on it.
I did notice that the rear tire had a metal cap on the air valve, but the front tire had a plastic cap, so I asked the dealer for a new metal valve cap for the front. He got me one, but said he did notice that the new models were showiing up with metal on the back and plastic on front. I thought that was sort of weird.

Rick
'09 K1300GT
Royal Blue
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 6:16 pm

Idea

I thought about tethering my front wheel with a heavy nylon strap and using my trucks' (F250) winch and a turnbuckle to sling the bike over my garage braces and raise the front of the bike vertical so the fill plug will be at the 0600 position to drain. Does anybody see and inherent probelms with this idea?

Flash
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 7:51 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash1034
I thought about tethering my front wheel with a heavy nylon strap and using my trucks' (F250) winch and a turnbuckle to sling the bike over my garage braces and raise the front of the bike vertical so the fill plug will be at the 0600 position to drain. Does anybody see and inherent probelms with this idea?

Flash
I did my second oil change like that, except I hookey-slinged it through the axle and up to front fork tree.

Shouldn't be a problem if your rafter's are made of the older denser pine as in the older homes. The newer ones with the cheap (i.e. less dense) pine will cave in the roof.

Let us know how it goes...and include some photos too.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:58 am
IBR# 366

I'd like to see that procedure. Preferably from a safe distance.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2007, 11:21 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1200
I did notice that the rear tire had a metal cap on the air valve, but the front tire had a plastic cap, so I asked the dealer for a new metal valve cap for the front. He got me one, but said he did notice that the new models were showiing up with metal on the back and plastic on front. I thought that was sort of weird.
Did you notice that the front tire had a 90* stem? At speeds of 150 mph or more, the straight stem valves will open due to "centrifigal" force and deflate the tire. (Not technically the right terms in physics lingo). So the back cap (metal) has an "O" ring seal inside the cap which retains the air pressure when the valve stem opens.
The front valve stem with its 90* turn is perpendicular to the forces that would otherwise open the valve at high speeds.

Dave

KR Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode