Restrictive little air intake snorkel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 5:08 am Thread Starter

Restrictive little air intake snorkel

I have just taken the fairings off my 07 K12GT and seen how small the front end of the air intake snrokel is. This must realy rob some top end power. Is there anyone offering bigger air intake snorkels, to pick up top end? I have heard about going to Evoluzione filters to improve power, but surely the air intake snorkel would be a weak link for more power.
Anyone modified their air box or snorkels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 9:00 am

excellent post, Ive wondered if there was any aftermarket support for this as well.

F

05LT
07GT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 1:13 pm
Rookie

Snorkelectomy

The Evolutziony kit replaces the snorkel with anopen plate that mounts to the air box.
Much improved intake sound.
Ass dyno results - maybe better mid-range response, but 8.1 overshadows mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 2:02 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500
I have just taken the fairings off my 07 K12GT and seen how small the front end of the air intake snrokel is. This must realy rob some top end power. Is there anyone offering bigger air intake snorkels, to pick up top end? I have heard about going to Evoluzione filters to improve power, but surely the air intake snorkel would be a weak link for more power.
Anyone modified their air box or snorkels?
I have the intake mod on my K-R and where removing the snorkel really makes a difference is from 0 to around 120 mph, the mid speed ranges, not so much top-end.

My theory is that at the higher speeds, say over 120 mph, is that if all things were equal, the snorkel would help, rather than hurt, top end speed. The snorkel should allow for a more laminar flow of air from the front of the bike to the air intake which would increase volume at high air speeds. The open intake without a snorkel will be behind the turbulence inducing obstructions of the bike resulting in a reduction of air volume at high rates of speed.

On my K-R, things were not equal in that the mod "doubled" the intake opening when I gave up the snorkel so top speeds may not have been compromised. Although, I have never actually topped out the K-R. Ran out of real estate just short of 160 mph.

That said, the roar of the open air filters and the improved power through the middle speeds make it a worthwhile mod. Besides middle speeds is where most of the riding is done.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

OK, what Ive done for now is removed the snorkel,but left the adapter in place which holds the filter in place. I will order an Evoluzione filters as well I will see if it improves power, as you say in the mid range area. This with an Evelozione filter might help with a bit more power, with minimal increase in noise.
I would like to see a dyno result from someone who has done this.
I would have thought a double snorkel kit like you can get for the K12S/R would have a been good, as Billy Omaha said, it would still be drawing clean,still,cool air from the front of the bike, but would add a bit more feed to the other side of the airbox. Maybe when the bike is out of warranty, I might make something up.
AZ DErifterus ,where did you find dyno graphs of the changes?

Last edited by cr500; Apr 10th, 2007 at 7:29 pm.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:46 pm
Rookie

Dyno Results

CR,
Check my post again.
I said "Ass Dyno", as in "seat of the pants" comparison.
It feels a little stronger in the mid range, but the ridability improvements of installing series 8.1 management software eclipses the impact of the air and exhaust mods.
BTW 8.1 also modifies damping rates of the suspension.
I could not use "comfort" before the update - now its all I use unless I'm heading for some twisties.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Sorry, AZdrifterus. I missed that. Well, after the next service I will remove the snorkel anyway. As I am getting the ASC fitted when it goes in next, they will be changing software to suit the ASC. I hope they fit the 8.1 version.
BTW, when I took the bike in for its break in servcice, it felt different, was a bit rougher at low speeds at back fired a bit when backing off. Is this the 8.1 software?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 8:19 pm
Addict

sounds like 7.0 with the back firing. 7.1 was said to cure that, and 8.1 has the same fueling as 7.1.

My 06 was made 10/05, so your 07 could have older software from 06, and 7.0 came out atound September

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode