EWS Fault ='s no start - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 2:17 pm Thread Starter

EWS Fault ='s no start

Hey everyone,

just wanted to pick the proverbial brain here for any insight into an event my GT had over the weekend.

I went to start the bike and got an EWS fault that prevented me from starting the motorcycle. After several key cycles, still nothing. So I walked away from the bike for a while (maybe 15 mins), came back and the darn thing fired right up! It has not given me the same trouble again, however I did talk with another guy over the weekend that experienced the same.

Anyone had this happen? If so, what was the fix applied by the dealer???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 2:36 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRPAL
Hey everyone,

just wanted to pick the proverbial brain here for any insight into an event my GT had over the weekend.

I went to start the bike and got an EWS fault that prevented me from starting the motorcycle. After several key cycles, still nothing. So I walked away from the bike for a while (maybe 15 mins), came back and the darn thing fired right up! It has not given me the same trouble again, however I did talk with another guy over the weekend that experienced the same.

Anyone had this happen? If so, what was the fix applied by the dealer???
There was a recall on the key slots (ignition cylinder) "ring antenna" for chafing wires. Maybe that is the problem. I hope not, or it will stop again, and might not start again.

Neat anti-theft feature, until it breaks!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 2:43 pm Thread Starter

Yea, I thought the recall for the ring-antenna might be the culprit, however my VIN is not included in the recall...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2007, 8:14 pm
Veteran

I did something similar in front of a bunch of Harley owners while filling up at a gas station near the local Harley shop. I couldn't get the thing to start.

I don't know if I blew it by holding in or not holding in the clutch lever when I went to start it. Seemed the more switches and kickstand and clutch hold-ins and neutral hunts I did the more it made matters worse in front of them.

More embarrassing than anything as they walked off laughing about it not starting. One guy yelled out "Should'a bought a Harley!"

After they left, I must have regained my thoughts or changed my process on how to start the damn thing. No problems since.

I dunno....

Oh, mine was in the recall series but mechanic said the wires were routed correctly and not chaffed.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 9:21 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I Have had the same won't start problem.

Went back and at looked at the manual (us MODEL page 78) , it says if you pull in the clutch before you turn on the ignition it will not start. WTF, why would a guy read the manual any way??

looks like the same code our engineers write, if a device is not giving the proper signal at start up, the system faults.
So when you turn on the ignition when you have the clutch pulled in the clutch switch is not in the position it should be for the start up sequence. So now I turn on the ignition find neutral and it starts. If I pull in the clutch, and than turn on the ignition it won't start.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 11:45 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7840
I Have had the same won't start problem.

Went back and at looked at the manual (us MODEL page 78) , it says if you pull in the clutch before you turn on the ignition it will not start. WTF, why would a guy read the manual any way??

looks like the same code our engineers write, if a device is not giving the proper signal at start up, the system faults.
So when you turn on the ignition when you have the clutch pulled in the clutch switch is not in the position it should be for the start up sequence. So now I turn on the ignition find neutral and it starts. If I pull in the clutch, and than turn on the ignition it won't start.
That is one of three things common to this problem. Though it feels like over-engineering on the part of BMW there is logic to their new ignition check process. On the older bikes the clutch switch was part of a series circuit that would enable the starter. In theory as well as practice in a few cases the clutch switch could fail and allow the starter to operate with the bike in gear and the clutch engaged. The new logic looks for a change of state in the clutch switch to verify its function before the bike will start. With the new system a broken or shorted safety switch will prevent the bike from starting while in gear. When you violate the sequence by disengaging the clutch before turning the ignition on it latches in a fault state and you have to cycle the ignition off before trying again.

There have also been a few failed ring antennas (not just chaffed wiring) that can cause the bike to intermittently fail to start.

A third issue has been close proximity of another 'chipped' key (or the bikes spare) causing failure of the security handshake between the BMS-K and the key.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode