How long should I wait. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

How long should I wait.

Well, I've been on this site (and a few others) since early in the year. Pretty well figured I wanted a new K1200GT (loaded in blue). Was waiting until I could test drive and then figured, "what the heck, lets just order it". So, 3 weeks ago I asked my "friendly" Sales Rep to find one for me and let me know so I could bring my VStrom in on a trade and finalize the deal. Two weeks ago I email him and he says he has had to contact BMW Canada because they won't have one coming in till July or August earliest. He says he should know on "Monday" (that would be the 2nd, 10 days ago). We haven't had great weather and I've been real work busy so haven't followed up. Now the weather is turning around and I'd like to proceed.

So, are these bikes in that much demand? Is it just cause I'm in Canada and there is a lower quota? Or is the Sales Guy just not want my money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 5:42 pm

When I ordered my KS it took about two weeks before it arrived . I believe the warehouse is in the new york area. I did have to go to a different dealer to get it ordered . My local dealer refused siting they wish to sell what was in stock
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 5:49 pm

It probably depends on what options you were looking for. I can't speak for Canada, but I know a special order here in the U.S. can take 2 months to come from the factory if it's not the options that the bikes normally come here with. You can always try a different BMW dealer there if there's one close enough to you and see if he's gives you a different time frame.

BrianT

07 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Don,

Look no further than the Classifieds....http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8773

The goodies alone are worth a bunch. Sell your VStrom private party and pick this one up...too good to be true.
(I have no interest in this, just saw it in the Classifieds)

F

05LT
07GT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 7:20 pm

I checked a few days ago and there was a CGM in Edmonton at Argyll Motor Sports. I pick my blue one up from them on Tuesday next week.
Happy hunting.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2007, 7:38 pm
Veteran

Don,

They are a little hard to come by in Canada. I order my '06 in January of '06 and took delivery in June. I was the local dealer's first customer to put his money down. He did have one come in May, I could have had, but I stuck with my order. (the colour I wanted, etc.) After mine in early June, the dealer was able to only get one more for '06 production and that one was delivered in August. That was it, that's all. Three bikes in total.

You may have waited to long to pull the trigger. He'll now have to find your bike at another dealer and make a trade presuming you want it before August which in Calgary is almost the end of the riding season.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:19 am

ebay as an option?

Some dealers use ebay. Individuals as well. Perhaps you can find what you want there.

There is a current listing for a blue 2006K1200GT (used of course). Listing good through 15 April.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Chris, didn't you just get a big dump of snow . Riding season here in Calgary right now.

The biggest reason that I want to get a bike by early to mid July (or earlier) is that I'm in the 3 flags rally this September (Mexico back to Canada and of course getting down there). BUT, before getting into it I wanted some time to break in the bike and get it through at least its first 1,000 Km checkup. Plus I'll want to farkle it a bit (sound system stuff mostly). And I wanted to make sure the seat was OK as I ride right past Corbin on the way there.

I'll email him again today and see what kind of excuse he uses now.

Oh and I hear that the GS's can't be kept in stock at all, they are moving out real fast.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:36 am

I never saw a new generation GT on my dealer's showroom floor until I went in the first weekend in March and found 3 sitting there. Every time before, the GT was sold before it ever went to the showroom.

In March, there were 2 identical graphite GTs and 1 dark blue GT with TPM but no ASC. I bought mine that day, and within a week all were sold. I haven't seen another on the showroom floor since.

So, yes, they seem to be in high demand down here in the Houston area.

Rusty
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Guess no one wants my money. Sent a query off to the dealer on Friday, no reply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode