Recall Campaign No. 07V-066 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Recall Campaign No. 07V-066

Hey all,
I received this yesterday. The recall is about a new oil tank cap, containing a valve to prevent overpressure in the tank. The hazard, apparently, is that pressure can build and cause the air bleed valve to rupture, allowing oil to escape onto the rear wheel.

BMW Precautions:
1. 'DO NOT OPERATE YOUR MOTORCYCLE.'
2. CONTACT YOUR AUTHORIZED BMW MOTORCYCLE DEALER IMMEDIATELY TO HAVE THE NECESSARY REPAIR PERFORMED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
THEN BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Ok, this is a leetle scary for me.

Anybody know anything about this and how dangerous this really is and am I at immediate risk of driving a motorcycle with oil on the rear tire?

Anyway, I have an appointment to have this recall taken care of. Would you have your motorcycle trucked in for the repair?

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 11:45 am
Addict

I wouldn't worry, unless it was freezing and you were riding lately. I think they are concerned that you not ride it if the oil tank is ruptured now, or you are riding "frequent short trips in freezing weather..."

No worries for many of us in the immediate future. I already got my recall done while the bike was in the shop for some other things. (I have a whole post on that issue I will update when I get a chance.)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 3:53 pm

no worries, I rode my GT with the 'pre-recall' cap in freezing and below freezing temps...no issues. I did get the replacement cap though, when I went in for some other farkles....dont worry, ride the bike.

F

05LT
07GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 8:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
no worries, I rode my GT with the 'pre-recall' cap in freezing and below freezing temps...no issues. I did get the replacement cap though, when I went in for some other farkles....dont worry, ride the bike.

F
+1 I received the recall notice today in the mail... no problems this winter, feeling pretty safe being April freaking 14th.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 9:05 pm

This was posted in a thread about 1.5 months ago. After I saw it, I asked my local dealer if I could come by and get it. They said no, but to come by anytime as it takes a few minutes to "repair"...unscrew old cap, install new. Yep, it took longer to get the seat off than to replace the cap. But, it is not serious at all and this is largely legal in nature...they're afraid of potential ligitation IF the tank did overpressurize. Anyway, I got the recall notice in the mail yesterday, but I had it replaced way before this...this forum rocks!

Cheers, Greg
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 9:23 pm
Addict-oholic

My dealer, Manhattan BMW called me 3 months ago and notified me about the recall and wanted to set an appointment for the recall in January when the temp here was 12 degrees, and it is a 45 minute drive to them. I told them I will wait until warmer weather. I got the letter from BMW today. I had nary a problem riding all winter.

I will get the recall done when I bring the bike in for other service, whenever that may be. The bike is riding flawslessly since version 7.0 was installed.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Last edited by larrykay; Apr 14th, 2007 at 9:24 pm. Reason: correction to spelling
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2007, 7:17 am Thread Starter

Thanks everybody - this forum does rock!

Who ya gonna call? K-BMWbuster!

Carl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode