New BMW Seat - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 6:13 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

New BMW Seat

Popped into my dealer on Friday (North Oxford Garage, UK) and the parts manager asked how I was enjoying the bike (2,000 miles now). I explained that with the exception of the seat the bike is just fantastic. It was at this point that he mentioned "on the quiet" that there is a new seat and that if I made enough noise then BMW might replace the existing one for the newly designed one under warranty. Well, got a call from the dealer today to confirm that my seats have been ordered and will be supplied under warranty

I don't think that this is a standard policy, but it is possible to get replacements in the UK if you are having a really bad time with the existing seat.

Have been informed that delivery is approx 3 weeks, I will post photos and first impressions when they arrive. I do sincerely hope that the new seat fixes my comfort issues.

Just thought I'd let people know of my own experience, YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:51 pm

What year is your GT?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 3:38 am Thread Starter
Rookie

It's a 2007 MY. I took delivery in early October 2006.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 5:26 am

That new BMW seat

Following a number of visits and discussions at North Oxford BMW, cause of my issues with the old seat, I had a new BMW seat fitted last Saturday. It was FOC and apparently fitted as a warranty issue as part of my 6k service. I can confirm that it took about 3 weeks for ordering and delivery. I have to say that Matt the Service Manager there is very helpful and has kept me regularly informed as to the progress of the order etc.

Impressions: Well I only drove home ~ 45 miles following the fitting so too soon to properly comment yet. Initially however it seems much firmer, and the covering is more "attached" to the seat padding. I had found the old one to be very uncomfortable due to stretching of the vinyl and just its propensity to give me backache after about 100 miles.

I might add I am 6ft 4in tall and 224 pounds , so no lightweight!

06 K1200GT - Blue - the best
Cheers,
Terry
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 11:27 am

I have a 2007 that I purchased off the lot about a month ago. After reading through some of these forums about issues/concerns I asked the dealer if the bike I was buying had the new seat on it. He stated it did and showed me the old one on a 2006 model they had still on the floor.

After 5 hours in the saddle of my 2007 (new seat) I can say that I will not be needing to get an aftermarket one.

I am 6'3" 235 lbs.

I hope your experience with the new seat is as positive as mine.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 9:27 pm

I've been reading posts for since last August but am new to contribute so....

Anyway, I stopped by the dealer today and picked up a new seat. It is different and perhaps a little lower.

I was extremely disappointed with the original low seat. Maybe, on a good day, it is 1/4 inch lower. Like others, I too wrote BMW and received the "vanilla" reply. Frankly, I expected more from BMW.

The new low seat is perhaps another 1/4 inch lower but everything helps. For some reason it feels like I'm sitting further back, but that could be my extreme desire to noticed an improvement. I also notice the pillion seat is different.

I'm not sure it's worth $700 for new seats but it is an improvement. :o

What a great bike!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:47 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Some mixed feedback regarding the response from BMW. I'm somewhat surprised that they are not more consistent in their responses.

I'm also dealing with Matt at North Oxford Garage. I must say that my experience of NOG has been first class. Always very helpful and strive to ensure that the customer is happy and I did not even buy my bike from them (my supplying dealer went bankrupt, deals they were doing were obviously too good).

Great to hear some good feedback on the new seat, I hope it fixes the only issue I have with this great bike.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 4:49 am

Talking

I was thinking about an aftermarket seat, but my 600 mile ride home to FL from NC on Saturday convinced me that this seat is o.k. No discomfort at all.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:34 am
Veteran

I've been off-line for a few days. I had to take a break for a mild heart attack.

In any case, just before I left I was asked by the Service Manager for BMW Canada to contact my dealer for the "new seat" under warranty.

From the accounts on this thread it seems we are being treated in a manner I would have expected from BMW.

It also sounds like it's worth the change. I'm not allowed to ride for a month, so I'll have no comment for a bit.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 1:58 pm
I'm riding

I do definetely like the world goes global:-)) My dealer asked me if I wanted to replace the seats under warranty? My answer was negative as I received and installed ( and fell in love :-)) with) Sargent saddle.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode