Tires - Baby Needs A New Pair Of Shoes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 7:53 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Tires - Baby Needs A New Pair Of Shoes

After Sunday's ride I checked the rear Bridgestone and it's down to the wear bar in the middle. Northern Illinois is too flat, at 7200 miles it's time for some new skins.

What have you installed as your second (or third) set? I see BStone now has a BT021 and Avon has the 55/56. I have a track day coming up so I need to take that into consideration.

I used to get 10,000 miles on Michelin Roads on my RT. The extra horsepower sure takes it's toll. But it's worth the price!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 9:59 pm

In 3 days I go in to have a set of 55/56s installed. Will be replacing Z6's that squared off long before the tread was dead. That's the price I pay for so much slabbing.

Brian
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2007, 10:30 pm

I too, am going with a new set of Avon storm ST's (55/56)
From all I have gleaned, these seem to be at the top of the list for the GT tires.
Was thinking of Conti's, which would probably also be a good choice, but decided to try the new Avon's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:41 am
Veteran

I was scheduled to have my dealer install a set of the new Avons last week. Unfortunately a minor heart attack got in the way of that and now I'm not allowed to ride for a month.

I'm replacing the original Metzler Z6 which delivered 12 k for me before exposing a belt in the rear tire on a 200 km ride one day last fall.

Sounds like the STs should be a great tire.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:38 pm
Strafist

I have a set of Conti Road Attacks in my gearage waiting for the day.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 1:54 pm
I'm riding

I wonder why we do not have Avons here? maybe it's just another name of something else?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
I was scheduled to have my dealer install a set of the new Avons last week. Unfortunately a minor heart attack got in the way of that and now I'm not allowed to ride for a month.

I'm replacing the original Metzler Z6 which delivered 12 k for me before exposing a belt in the rear tire on a 200 km ride one day last fall.

Sounds like the STs should be a great tire.
Holding a good thought for you.
All our days are numbered. Hope it's nothing serious. Having just turned 50, I can probably count how many years I've left to ride............. probably.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 5:03 am

You Need Bridgestones

The 021 get a really good write up , both in all round and wet weather use with a suggested 15% tyre wear increase.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 6:45 am

I stick to the Metzeler Roadtec Z6: on my second front after 10800 km/6750 mi and on the third rear. Both front and rear were really worn: the rear even had some steel belt showing.

I find it to be a very 'reliable' tyre: sticks very well but doesn't get that great mileage though. Must be the horsepower at the rear wheel. Bridgestones on my previous bikes had the 'step aside' behaviour at lean angle and didn't give me the trust I need.

So I guess I'm a Metzeler guy....

Make sure you get the reinforced version of the tyre, if it's available: the K12GT is heavy! With Metzeler Z6s the front has a C extension, the rear has a K extension to denote the reinforced version.

Rgds
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2007, 6:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucsch
I stick to the Metzeler Roadtec Z6: on my second front after 10800 km/6750 mi and on the third rear. Both front and rear were really worn: the rear even had some steel belt showing.

I find it to be a very 'reliable' tyre: sticks very well but doesn't get that great mileage though. Must be the horsepower at the rear wheel. Bridgestones on my previous bikes had the 'step aside' behaviour at lean angle and didn't give me the trust I need.

So I guess I'm a Metzeler guy....

Make sure you get the reinforced version of the tyre, if it's available: the K12GT is heavy! With Metzeler Z6s the front has a C extension, the rear has a K extension to denote the reinforced version.

Rgds
It seems that here in the US the Z6 has the majority of OEM installs. Good tire. For me it was more sport than tour. I had 4500 miles on them and the front was squared off and they were making a lot of noise in the corners. If I kept going I probably could get another 2k out of them, but I have a big trip coming and want to get them swapped out beofre I NEED to. I go in today to get the Avons put on.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode