Possible Buyer... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Possible Buyer...

Hello everyone!!

I may be interested in a GT. I'm a happy FJR owner and have put lots of miles on my steed. I'm also experienced with all sorts of distance-friendly modifications, but I need some input from experienced GTers to help me decide. Please don't respond to this thread unless you are brutally honest!

* What is the excess capacity/output of the stator for accessories, etc. after all engine/stock bike systems are accounted for?

* Does the transmission get smoother after lots of miles?

* What bar risers provide the shortest reach for small-armed riders?

* Anybody install a fuel cell? If so, was it difficult?

* Who makes the best aftermarket seat for the GT?

* What are the best "farkles" for the GT?

Thanks in advance for your guidance. Mogan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:23 pm
IBR# 366

Hi, Mogan.

The short answer is that the GT can make an excellent LD bike if you set it up properly. But the base package is pretty awesome. I'll try and answer your questions below.

* What is the excess capacity/output of the stator for accessories, etc. after all engine/stock bike systems are accounted for?

Not sure what the bike needs stock to run, but it provides 945 Watts which is almost double that of the FJR, so you can pretty much run anything you want. Full heated gear, HID driving lights, fuel cell pumps, tank lights, etc. just aren't a problem.

* Does the transmission get smoother after lots of miles?

I only have 2,400 miles on mine (including one 750-mile day) but yes, I've heard they do smooth out after 5-6,000 miles.

* What bar risers provide the shortest reach for small-armed riders?

The only two bar risers I'm aware of now are from Helibars (20 mm closer at the stock high position)and from Wunderlich (20 mm closer and 40 mm higher). I have the Helibar adapter, but it's not quite enough for me so I'll probably order the Wunderlich set to try out.

* Anybody install a fuel cell? If so, was it difficult?

Jeff Earls designed and built an excellent fuel cell for his GT. There is a pic in this post and you should probably read this whole thread.

* Who makes the best aftermarket seat for the GT?

That's like asking "Who makes the best bike for LD riding?" Tha answers are as varied as the riders. At this point, you can get GT seats done by Rick Mayer, Russell, Rich's, Mr Ed's Moto, Kontour, Sargent, and others. I went with Bill (Rocky) Mayer. I'd put 60K miles on the seat he made for my LT, including a 1,400 mile/21 hour B2B, a BB1500, and numerous 1k+ days without compliant. He did my GT seat the second day I had the bike, and I put 2K miles on it in the next 5 days and it just plain works for me. The biggest advantage to Rocky (besides that he was local so I could do a ride-in fitting) was that he doesn't put any seams on the top surface of the seat that might create ridges or pressure points over time. The biggest cmpliment I can say is that I just don't think about the seat at all when riding.

* What are the best "farkles" for the GT?

Again, it depends on what you need or want. I came off an LT so I wanted to improve the GT's overall comfort for long days in the saddle. Before my GT arrived I had bar risers, peg extenders, an aftermarket windshield, and a factory trunk waiting. I had the seats done, and also had a Bakup backrest, but that doesn't fit due to the change in the '07 seat pans. I also took my GPS, Baehr intercom, V1, PHIDs, iPod, and dual HeatTroller from my LT. I'll add a fuel cell later, and probably change the grips and levers to fit my large hands a bit better. I'm also looking at a CB setup for road and weather reports. I'll probably remove the peg extenders eventually as I can already drag the pegs at will and I'm still settling in to the bike.

* Thanks in advance for your guidance.

That's what we're here for. Let us know how it goes.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 4:44 pm

Meese,

I was wondering if you know of any locations/dealers here in the good old USA that sell the Wunderlich bar riser you mentioned in this post.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 5:04 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k1200gt
I was wondering if you know of any locations/dealers here in the good old USA that sell the Wunderlich bar riser you mentioned in this post.
According to Wunderlich, their official U.S. importer is Santa Cruz BMW. Unfortunately, the offerings for the new GT on their web site are rather limited at the moment, so you'll need to call them for more info.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 8:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k1200gt
Meese,

Thanks,
Looks like those were prototypes which were supposed to be available in November 2006 - but it seems that only the vario levers and the oil screen have made it out yet. Even on the Wunderlich home web site, there is no specific catelog for the 06+ K1200GT yet.

IBA 18417
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 7:28 am

The tranny smoothness seems to be more an issue of touch. There are days it feels like it has a constant velocity tranny and other days I feel like I'm riding a Freightliner but I'm about 99.9999999999999% sure it's a ID10T error - namely operator error.

As far as farkles, I'm pretty happy with the Navi-III and the CB +4 +3 which are all I gots... although the Akrapovik exhaust is tempting and I'm hopin my girls get me some moto-lights for me birthday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode