New seat - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 5:48 am Thread Starter

New seat

I have had it with my seat. I need one that stops me from sliding forward, and heated. Im short and dont need anything taller.
I know this is old news, but I havent seen a post on new seats that say the heater still works, which is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I would like a seat that plugs in to my stock plug with no added wiring head aches.

David
07 KGT

Last edited by bridwell52; Apr 24th, 2007 at 5:56 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:05 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridwell52
I have had it with my seat. I need one that stops me from sliding forward, and heated. Im short and dont need anything taller.
I know this is old news, but I havent seen a post on new seats that say the heater still works, which is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I would like a seat that plugs in to my stock plug with no added wiring head aches.

David
07 KGT
Try these guys http://kontourseat.com/_wsn/page6.html

They rebuild your existing seat, keeping heater intact. Only down side is they keep it for 5 days plus shipping.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:42 am
IBR# 366

Another downside is that we have reports of riders still sliding forward on the Kontour seat. Plus I don't know how well they can deal with shorter inseams.

If you want a bolt-on replacement for your stock seat, you're looking at Sargent or Corbin. If you want to have your existing seat reworked to your exact specifications, then go with one of the aftermarket seat builders. That means Bill Mayer, Rick Mayer, Russell, Rich's, Mr Ed's Moto, Kontour, and others. The aftermarket guys can reuse your existing heater element so you don't loose that function. Sargent and Corbin also offer heated options, but require you to cut off the factory plug and rewire the bike with their plug (no, thanks).

I went with Bill (Rocky) Mayer. I'd put 60K miles on the seat he made for my LT, including a 1,400 mile/21 hour B2B, a BB1500, and numerous 1k+ days without compliant. He did my GT seat the second day I had the bike, and I put 2K miles on it in the next 5 days and it just plain works for me. The biggest advantage to Rocky (besides that he was local so I could do a ride-in fitting) was that he doesn't put any seams on the top surface of the seat that might create ridges or pressure points over time. The biggest compliment I can say is that I just don't think about the seat at all when riding. And I don't slide forward at all.

When I was having my seat done, there were two other GTs there both looking for lowered seats. One guy had ridden down from Sacramento, and the other had trailered his bike down from Idaho (past a few other well-known seat makers). But the majority of their orders are mail-in, where you send in your seat with some pictures of you sitting on the bike, and describe what you want.

There is also some other seat discussion in this thread that may be helpful.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:12 pm

The Sargent is substantially lower (the only one off the shelf that is), and the rewiring is sooo easy. Plus, they give you 2 adapters so you can make a pig tail to still use the bmw plug with your bmw seat.
Greg
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2007, 10:18 pm

The new BMW seat is perhaps slightly lower, more comfortable, reduces forward sliding, and the heater works great! I can't compare it to the after market seats but I'm much happier with the new BMW seat. I also like the pillion seat in that the passenger doesn't seem to slide forward as easily.

You might be able to talk your dealer into letting you test drive a new seat by pulling one off an existing bike on the show room floor.

Good luck with your decision.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:12 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwenchantment
The new BMW seat is perhaps slightly lower, more comfortable, reduces forward sliding, and the heater works great! I can't compare it to the after market seats but I'm much happier with the new BMW seat. I also like the pillion seat in that the passenger doesn't seem to slide forward as easily.

You might be able to talk your dealer into letting you test drive a new seat by pulling one off an existing bike on the show room floor.

Good luck with your decision.
I believe I was almoust the last one among '06 owners who switched to aftermarket seat - just could not imagine the difference. And did not want to take hte risk of sending it forth and back across the ocean - waited till Sargent comes out. It's day and night(Sargent). I do not know what exactly is different design-wise but it's really much more comfy that the OEM(initial) seat.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2007, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

New seat

Thanks for the input. It helps make a dicision that costs some bucks. We all have different butts but to get it from the end users is still the best way to go.
Good riding to all and hope to see ya on the highway. (who could miss a KGT)
Thanks
David
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2007, 7:24 pm
What, we're out of glue??

"Another downside is that we have reports of riders still sliding forward on the Kontour seat."

I must have missed those reports? Thought I keep pretty good tabs on comments on the boards... Ken, if you could refer me to those reports it would be appreciated since we are always looking at ways to improve our product - and feedback is critical.

I've never had a customer ever mention that to me, the usual feedback I get is how grippy our fabric is... if you are wearing smooth leathers it does not do much - since they are so slippery by nature - but textiles stick to it like glue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grain.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	4916  

www.KontourSeat.com - "Like Buttah"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Apr 26th, 2007 at 9:34 pm.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:59 pm
IBR# 366

I was referring to a conversation Grif and I had in this thread. Other than that minor complaint, Grif seems very happy with his seat.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 5:48 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I was referring to a conversation Grif and I had in this thread. Other than that minor complaint, Grif seems very happy with his seat.
Hold your horses there, mate. I don't slide on the seat, it holds real well. I was referring to massive acceleration and deceleration. Physics, if you will, pushing and pulling and the need for the gripsters on the side fairings to hold the bottom half of the body when ripping twisties. Gives much better control and allows me to ride with lighter hands on the bars.

Give this a shot: riding with the ball's of your feet on the pegs and leaned forward while riding briskly, nail the brakes on the entry of your corner. Riding briskly, drop a couple of gears and nail the throttle. Mind you, ball's of the feet, leaned forward, arms relaxed, no weight on the wrists and hands. What happens everytime in those situations? Your body will react with either a forward or backward momentum. I don't care what kind of seat you have or who made it. Thusly the gripsters, which are used everyday on the backroads of FM 1863 on the way to and from my shop. 60 miles of riding Nirvana.

Let the debate continue.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Last edited by grifscoots; Apr 27th, 2007 at 6:14 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode