Avon 55/56 after 600 miles - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Avon 55/56 after 600 miles

I have been able to run the new Avons for about 600 miles both in dry and wet. They replaced a set of Z6's.

The Avons ride different than the Z6s. It is hard to really describe the feeling. The bike seems to "fall" over into the corners whereas the Z6s required a bit more effort. Harder cornering feels secure and planted. In the wet the Avon is FAR superior - no wiggling and I have felt just as much traction as if it were dry. There seems to be no discernible difference on the slab. On a steel grid bridge deck the Avon does wiggle slightly were the Z6 didn't move. Obviously I have no idea about millage.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:57 am
"DELIVERS"

So far you're experiencing the great feeling any new tire will give you compared to the worn tires you were used to. IMO you really can't compare fairly unless you would put on a new set of another brand right now and ride....apples to apples so to speak. I just had the 55/56's put on my GT and I agree, they feel great....similar to Pilot Powers as I recall. Wouldn't it be nice if we had the luxury of trying out a bunch of different tires all in the same day? But then we wouldn't know about mileage....oh well...

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:55 pm
Veteran

Brian,

I had planned on installing the 55/56 tires until this bloody heart attack got in the way and I'm still planning on it in a few weeks. Question is: do the 55/56 have a special "weight-specific" model for the GT like the Metzler and Bridgestone with their special designations, eg. "UU" on the Bridgestone?

If not, have you noticed any uber speed "squirreliness" as reported with the wrong weight-designated Metzlers we've heard about on other threads?

Want to be sure I end up with the right tires from the get go. Thanks!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 2:11 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
So far you're experiencing the great feeling any new tire will give you compared to the worn tires you were used to.
Not necessarily. I replaced a fully-worn BT020 Radial rear with an ME880 rear on my LT, and the bike actually felt worse with the new rear tire on. They were out of the BT020, even though I specifically asked them before riding down. I then had to ride 120 miles to the next BMW dealer to get a front ME880 to match, and once again, the bike felt worse than with a worn-out Avon Radial front on it.

Sure, new tires are usually more rounded and feel better than old, worn tires, but tire construction and cross-section also plays a role.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Brian,

I had planned on installing the 55/56 tires until this bloody heart attack got in the way and I'm still planning on it in a few weeks. Question is: do the 55/56 have a special "weight-specific" model for the GT like the Metzler and Bridgestone with their special designations, eg. "UU" on the Bridgestone?

If not, have you noticed any uber speed "squirreliness" as reported with the wrong weight-designated Metzlers we've heard about on other threads?

Want to be sure I end up with the right tires from the get go. Thanks!
I will check on that and see what I can find. I assume that is may be printed on the sidewall somewhere. In all fairness, I just called my dealer had them ordered and installed - we never discussed the weight issue.

As to uber-speed, I have had them only to 90 mph so far with no ill effects.

Brian

PS Get the ticker fixed!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 4:40 pm
Veteran

Thanks my friend.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2007, 11:46 am
Enthusiast

Please do follow up with a post about the mileage you get out of the Avon's. I burned up the stock B'stone in 3200 miles and replaced them w/ the Z6's. Having gone through 10 sets on my last bike I know and like the Z6's, but know that the rear is only good for about 4K. I'm really hoping that the Avon's get better mileage...and handle at least as well as the Z6's.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2007, 3:21 am
Let's Ride

As I posted in an earlier thread...I just got back from a 4,200 trip. I had the dealer put on Avon 55/56 tires (because of this site). Great tire for all the reason's people have posted. But after 4k my rear tire wear bars are showing. On the Z'6S I got 4.5k. I think I will go back to the Conti-Road Attacks. I got 7k with "darn near" the grip.

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2007, 8:28 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-1
As I posted in an earlier thread...I just got back from a 4,200 trip. I had the dealer put on Avon 55/56 tires (because of this site). Great tire for all the reason's people have posted. But after 4k my rear tire wear bars are showing. On the Z'6S I got 4.5k. I think I will go back to the Conti-Road Attacks. I got 7k with "darn near" the grip.
I'm happy to hear that. I've got a set of the Conti's now that are getting unbelievable mileage. Not even wearing...

...sitting in my motorcycle closet.

The thread looks kewl, I can't wait to put them on.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2007, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

I have a bit of an update on the 55/56's

I am now @ 1500 miles on these tires and I have noticed a few things that I had not experienced on the Z6s.

I feel that the bike is affected more or at least differently in crosswinds. It is not an unstable feeling, but the bike does move underneath me with less wind. Note, it does NOT move MORE, it just does it with less wind.

The bike is easier to heel over in corners. It seems as though they WANT to be in a turn, and at times have felt more stable turning than on the slab. Less force is required, and the rate of lean is faster. That said, it is easy to over lean and tighten the turn - but I am learning to compensate. I think this has to do with the profile of the front tire. It is more round than the Z6. On the Z6 (prior to the squaring off) the front had more of a peak in the center and then had a steeper angle as it approached the sidewalls. The Avon has a much more uniform round shape. It is also this shape that I attribute to the increased affect of wind mentioned above.

I have also had more time in wet conditions and at higher speeds in the wet. They are VERY surefooted! I also noticed significant side spray off the front. I never saw this with the Z6.

My wear pattern is very uniform. At this time it is impossible to tell how much more life they have in them. It was at this point with the Z6s that I began to see the first signs of squaring off. There are no signs of this with the Avons. They are running with 37/44 psi with just me (a svelte and sexy 225 lbs) and an average of 15lbs of gear. My standard ESA setting is 1+luggage Normal mode.

Overall I have liked this tier more than the Z6s and if they continue to perform as they have, I will get them for the next set.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode