Heavy rain, tires and leakage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 2:30 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Heavy rain, tires and leakage

Life is full of new experiences. Yesterdays experience included my first ride in very heavy rain with my new 07GT (3000km-1800mi). The stock Z6's did very well, but the 1 1/2hr ride was in some congested areas so a high speed evaluation is not available. I will say that they handled a number of low speed twisties very well though. My only concern has nothing to do with tires. After returning home I discovered the fairing pocket had a 1/2" of rainwater in it. This was not from the wash and wax earlier in the day cause I wiped it out (it was bone dry) following the wash job. The rubber gasket appears in good shape, no tears or marks apart from the lid sealing on it. Is this common for the GT? My 95LT didn't leak like this. Should I drill a drain hole in it and live with it or talk to the dealer and request a new seal? Your commments and suggestions are always welcome. Glenn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 3:01 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1100ltglenn
Life is full of new experiences. Yesterdays experience included my first ride in very heavy rain with my new 07GT (3000km-1800mi). The stock Z6's did very well, but the 1 1/2hr ride was in some congested areas so a high speed evaluation is not available. I will say that they handled a number of low speed twisties very well though. My only concern has nothing to do with tires. After returning home I discovered the fairing pocket had a 1/2" of rainwater in it. This was not from the wash and wax earlier in the day cause I wiped it out (it was bone dry) following the wash job. The rubber gasket appears in good shape, no tears or marks apart from the lid sealing on it. Is this common for the GT? My 95LT didn't leak like this. Should I drill a drain hole in it and live with it or talk to the dealer and request a new seal? Your commments and suggestions are always welcome. Glenn.

I assume your talking about the locked compartment to the right of the gas tank? Funny, I have washed my bike on many occasions, never had it in the rain though, and never noticed any leakage. fact my registration and insurance papers are there, and no problems what so ever, wonder if you have a deformed lid or something?

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 3:07 pm
Veteran

Bone dry here through many very wet rides. Perhaps it wasn't fully latched?

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 3:24 pm

I would place a small rag in the compartment, close the lid and pour a cup of water
over the area and see what happens. I would see the dealer before drilling. The only
issue I have had was the lid gets stuck in the full open position and needs firm pressure
to lower it.

Phil
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 4:05 pm

Fairing pocket

I have not seen any water in there either from rain or washing.

Sorry for pirating your thread Glenn.

The lid on mine sticks open as well. I don't want to break the plastic. Am I doing something wrong?

Incidentally I noticed an earlier thread of yours mentioning the $487.00 Southwest Motorad in Kelowna charged you for first service. I cancelled my "fist service" appointment there and did it at Argyll in Edmonton. The price was $203.00 with 1.5 hours labour at 95.00 hour.
Dave
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 5:46 pm

Dave,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong in opening the lid. I believe that there
is a point of resistance once the lid is opened to the fullest. I try to open to
a minimum and avoid any potential problems. I have tried lubricating, but nothing
works. First time it happened I played with it in a service station for 15mins before I coaxed it shut. The next time it happened my wife pushed it down, that was the end of
coaxing for me.

Phil
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 6:46 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_p
... The only issue I have had was the lid gets stuck in the full open position and needs firm pressure to lower it. Phil
Odd you mentioned that. My '06 did have a sticky lid and it acted like it was going to break when i closed it.

The new fairing after the tip-over doesn't have that problem. Works much freer.

Makes one wonder....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 7:04 pm
Addict

Quote:
Glenn, A few times I have gone for a ride and when removing the key noticed the glovebox ajar. Then I remember that the previous evening I opened it to remove or put something in. Mine hasn't leaked--when I remember to snap it shut--fwiw. Phil
btw, am riding up to visit a friend in Vancouver, False Creek, from San Francisco next week. He's told me that they haven't had a dry day in 5 months. Will be wearing my waterproof stuff.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2007, 12:04 am

No leaks on mine and plenty of rainy rides, torrential rains even.
Greg
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2007, 12:17 am
Addict

Quote:
This was not from the wash and wax earlier in the day cause I wiped it out (it was bone dry) following the wash job.
Actually, it probably was, the rain I mean!!! I'm sure that is why it rained so hard, you washed and waxed that bike!!!!

Mine stays dry, and it has seen some really heavy rain at times...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode