[B]To Russell and back...Wahoo![/B] - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2007, 11:23 am Thread Starter

To Russell and back...Wahoo!

Short story here.
After experiencing the dismal failure of a popular seat maker for over a six months span, I began the quest for what I hoped would be my seat solution. As I saw it, I had narrowed things down to two candidates: Kontour and Russell-Day Long.

Kontour has alot of appeal and had they been closer to me, I might have pulled the trigger with them I think. There is alot to their approach I like. I think in the long run, with the wide temp swings we have here in the high desert, I wasn't confident of how the foam would react.

Russell day-long have been nothing short of couteous and professioal accross the board.
From my first phone call, untill I paid my bill, I was treated like royalty and respect.
They have been making saddles for years and years and have a proven track record.
Figuring about a 1500 mi. ride in 3 days, I gave the nod to Russell for a "ride in".

I left So. Idaho on Tues. afternoon about 3:00 PM, and rode thru lots of mountain ranges like this,

The stock seat hurt so bad by the second day, my backside was screaming for relief. I drove into Russell @ my 9:00 AM appointment time, and the crew was waiting for me to get started. One thing I appreciated was the "collection" of other seat makers saddles that were shown to me, as Mike was answering my questions and calming my fears from getting burned. They then demonstrated why their saddles are superior in construction, comfort, and benefit. They gave me one of those competitors seats to ride around on while they worked their magic. I then drove the 9 mi. to Shasta dam, and found they gave tours, with one starting 10 min. after I arrived, and guess what ? I was the only visitor, and got a one on one tour inside and out. What a treat, thanks again Mino, for the awsome tour. Here are some pics of the area:

And one of "wolfie" with the loaner saddle... ouch, it was baaaad!

Several hours later my saddles were ready for a "test" fit, prior to final assy. these guys really know what they are doing!
About four hours later the saddles were done and I was excited to get some butt time in.
Shown here is my "wingman" JJ, who built my saddles, JJ you are a true craftsman! what a great job you did.

I left my new friends @ Russell-day long and started the way back, but had to go thru the CA. Cascades to Reno, and my, oh, my, now I know what a great seat feels like. I was really able to take wolfie in the mountain twisties with confidence that grew mile after mile.
I arrived @ Sierra BMW Fri morning for my appointment to get a new set of "Avon Storms" mounted. They also found three recalls on my bike that they took care of; the tank cap, wiring harness, and center stand. New tires and new seats, I was good to go. And go I did, all the way from Reno to So. Idaho in 8.5 hrs. just stopping for fuel and wiz breaks. Here are some pics of the Avons. These are smoking hot tires so far, I really am impressed and pleased with them, up to 122 mph once and stable mable.
Many thanks to the crew @ Russell day-long, Terry,Katey,Mike, and of course Jay.
You've earned my business:

Arrived home all safe and sound. Here are some pics of the "wingmans special" which is allright by me, I can ride for hours on end, take the twisties with all the aggression I want, and enjoy my bike the way I want. A happy man I am.

My little Jack "Russell" pup ... "Bella" --- How apropos !!!

Last edited by GTdavey; Apr 29th, 2007 at 3:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2007, 11:33 am
JCW
contributor

Beautiful seat, beautiful pics!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2007, 12:04 pm
Veteran

Wow!

That sure is a high rise on the back pillion compared to the stock seat. Does it offer you a bit of low back support?

Your borrowed one looks like my current after-market one. It is maybe a 30% improvement, but it could be better having come off the Russell. You went for the same rectangular design I had, except they did my top in Velour for the Valley heat. Lasted 10 years until I sold the bike. I had the backrest option done as well on the old RT. Sometimes it was nice, but it did lock you into a riding position. Often I rode without it.

I sure do miss my Russell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2007, 3:00 pm
Enthusiast

Dave what was the price? Is that leather and did you get heat?

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2007, 5:09 pm
IBR# 366

Excellent report, Davey. I looked at Russell, even visited their factory, but I was concerned that the dish in the seat would hold water, and that the seams would let it seep into the foam. But it's gotta be a huge improvement over stock, and I'd like to try riding one some day.

Do keep us informed on the Avon Storms. I'd love to see how many miles you get from them.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Apr 29th, 2007 at 10:05 pm.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2007, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Wow!

That sure is a high rise on the back pillion compared to the stock seat. Does it offer you a bit of low back support?

Your borrowed one looks like my current after-market one. It is maybe a 30% improvement, but it could be better having come off the Russell. You went for the same rectangular design I had, except they did my top in Velour for the Valley heat. Lasted 10 years until I sold the bike. I had the backrest option done as well on the old RT. Sometimes it was nice, but it did lock you into a riding position. Often I rode without it.

I sure do miss my Russell...
GMack -
My driver seat was stripped to the bare pan and re-built to my ass fit. I found what they had done was to create and dish a pocket using a couple different densities plus the springs and the result is a lower "back" portion of the driver seat vs. the stock. The pillion was done w/o any springs as my little italian wife is 5'2" and 110#'s. This also was done with a "pocket" for her cute posterior in conjunction with the 49 liter topcase/backrest.

The result you see is the lower back of the drivers and the rise of the pillion to create the pocket, we both are happy as clams!
I really don't lean far enough back for the support, but I guess I could.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2007, 7:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassGT
Dave what was the price? Is that leather and did you get heat?
Mass-
I chose all leather because I wanted top of the line.
After discussing this with Mike, he suggested vinyl on the sides to keep from showing the wrinkles down low, and he said I could save a few bucks in the process and really not tell the difference. How's that, a vendor who wants to help you get what you want and help save a few bucks. These guys rock!

Leather tops/vinyl sides both seats $625.00
Springs for my big ass $45.00 (needed only if your over 225 lb's)
They retain the BMW factory heat setup... no charge.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2007, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Excellent report, Davey. I looked at Russell, even visited their factory, but I was concerned that the dish in eths eat would hold water, and that the seams would let it seep into the foam. But it's gotta be a huge improvement over stock, and I'd like to try riding one some day.

Do keep us informed on the Avon Storms. I'd love to see how many miles you get from them.
Meese-
I lived in Ventura for 6 years, that's where I met my wife. Her parents live near Ventura college at the top of the hill. We visit Mom and Dad often, I'll look you up soon!
I have washed the bike twice since, I can tell you water is a non-issue. I bought a rain cover in case my bike is left out in a downpour, which would play hell on any seat.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 8:09 am
Rookie

How did you get your OM seats back from Mayer

GTdavy, how did you get your original seats back from R Mayer?? Or did Russell dismantle Mayer's seat??

Thanks Mark

BOUAK

Jenks OK

07 K1200GT
05 R1200GS
99 K1200LT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouak
GTdavy, how did you get your original seats back from R Mayer?? Or did Russell dismantle Mayer's seat??

Thanks Mark
I did not recieve my original seats back from RMC. He returned someone else's stock pans to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode