Front tire cupping problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 8:46 am Thread Starter

Front tire cupping problem

I'm going to be going in for my 6K check up here shortly and noticed that the front tire has a serious cupping problem. (06GT) Has anyone else experienced this? If so what is the cause? I would say that my miles have been split pretty equally between highway and city. Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 9:07 am

Dave

They are probably Bridgestones. I have slight cupping at 4700mi. I don't think
it's uncommon for this to happen at 6K especially if most of your riding is
done on the slabs or straight county roads. I am going to try a set of
new Avons.

Phil
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 11:30 am

"Probably Bridgestones"

Probably BT-020's, right?

Mine started cupping after 1000km. Swapped them for M3's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Your right on the 020's. I don't want to beat this warranty drum to death, but, what's up with that. I expect my tires to wear out from milage use not have to be replaced because they have become so uneven they appear unsafe. If this kind of problem appears on a car I believe its a shock or balancing problem. What do you think?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 4:05 pm
Veteran

It's pretty well normal wear for tires that have an "island" tread. The "islands" rock forward and back under acceleration and braking.

If you look at car tires, especially narrow ones with the same "island" pattern, you'll see the same wear. My old tire shop guy called it "Heel and Toe" wear. Others call it feathering, cupping, scalloping, whatever.

Just change the tread pattern design on the next set, or get a non-metal belted tire that will flex a bit more. A slick won't exhibit the wear pattern if you think about it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 5:23 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicaldave
Your right on the 020's. I don't want to beat this warranty drum to death, but, what's up with that. I expect my tires to wear out from milage use not have to be replaced because they have become so uneven they appear unsafe. If this kind of problem appears on a car I believe its a shock or balancing problem. What do you think?
Common stuff. We routinely had it happening on the LT. One way to head it off for awhile is to keep the front at 38 lbs and don't brake.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 7:58 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
. . . and don't brake.
Ever?

They're right. Different tires wear differently. Low pressure and heavy front braking will accelerate this pattern. And no, it's not a warranty issue (unless you can prove that there's some sort of misalignment or other factory problem).

I've seen some tires wear out in under 3K miles, and others last close to 20K. But there are tradeoffs in terms of handling, grip, and "feel." And some of the longer lasting tires would howl like crazy well before they were near the wear bars. You just gotta examine all the options out there and figure out what works best for your riding style and priorities.

I also had issues with front BT020 tires cupping on the LT, and much less so with the Avon Azaro fronts. Can't wait to try a set of Avon Storms on my GT.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 8:13 pm
Veteran

On a related note,

How come the tires always wear more on the left side?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 8:57 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
How come the tires always wear more on the left side?
Because you spend more time in left-hand turns (larger radius) than right-hand turns. When I lived in Wales, I would wear out the right sides first, unless I had done lots of riding on the Continent.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 12:02 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Because you spend more time in left-hand turns (larger radius) than right-hand turns. When I lived in Wales, I would wear out the right sides first, unless I had done lots of riding on the Continent.
Dang!

Didn't think someone would come up with the correct answer so quick. I was expecting the "road crown" answer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode