Another intro - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Another intro

I've been lurking since the middle of last year when I considered moving to a sport tourer. Not wanting to be completely rude, I figured I'd post a short intro before posting to some pretty interesting threads that have popped up in the last few days.

My home is in the suburbs north of Atlanta and I'm riding an 07 GT since October last year. I've been on HD touring bikes most recently and was ready for something faster and more suitable for "spirited" riding. Anyway, I've been through a number of farkles and upgrades and will end up sharing on appropriate threads as time goes on. My better half rides along most times piloting her own bike, an 05 VTX1800.

I've been riding for over 25 years on all sorts of machines. I started out on a 71 HD Sprint 350 and it was all downhill from there This K-GT has been a truly awesome ride and turning out to be a fairly competent touring mount for longer rides.

See you in the funny pages..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 3:49 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Welcome aboard.

I expect you'll have some interesting perspective to add.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0mas_l
turning out to be a fairly competent touring mount for longer rides.

See you in the funny pages..
Not only lurking but riding for how many months? And the best you can say is, "fairly competent touring mount for longer rides". That's funnier than any thing I've read in the Sunday paper.

Come on. This is a new era. Men can now show their emotions. Tell us what you really think of the bike. And if you still come back to "fairly competent". Please tell us what's lacking, needed, and what's out there that does it better.

Please keep in mind that I don't have a bike. But I will. Your input is valued and welcome aboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2007, 8:30 pm
Let's Ride

Have you been riding with your Harley buddies with the new GT? I kept a 02 Harley Heritage Springer for awhile so I could ride with my "Harley buddies". When I went to the garage I would just gravitate towards the GT2. Slowly one one by one my Harley buddies stop calling me to ride. They would make fun of my protective gear and all the "gadgets" on the bike. When I did ride with them I found myself wanting more adventure and excitement. The GT2 is the best all around motorcycle I have ever own. Sometimes I ride with GS's (who can just plain burn the miles away), sometimes I ride with the sport bikes and have fun in the twisties. On occasion I will ride with a group of mainly Harleys, but it's to socialize not ride.

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727cpt
Not only lurking but riding for how many months? And the best you can say is, "fairly competent touring mount for longer rides".
OK - I'll stick with that and clarify. Longer rides == over 500 miles a day. Don't get me wrong, I never expected the comfort of an LT or Gold Wing outta this GT. I was willing and ready to sacrifice the all day open road comfort of a Harley FL to satisfy my inner hooligan. For around town and short rides it's awesome and the ultimate sleeper. It's nice to actually be on the open road and comfortable at speeds where I really have to pay attention to a radar detector. And no more getting hemmed up behind slow poke 4-wheelers on the back roads. Just -think- pass and you're around them and a 1/2 mile down the road already. I'll probably change my tune about the longer rides after the GT breaks me in a little more. I still feel like my knuckles are dragging every time I finish a ride. That is, the GT is a real smart bike that has really humbled me on my riding abilities. It's getting better though
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 10:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-1
Have you been riding with your Harley buddies with the new GT? I kept a 02 Harley Heritage Springer for awhile so I could ride with my "Harley buddies". When I went to the garage I would just gravitate towards the GT2. Slowly one one by one my Harley buddies stop calling me to ride. They would make fun of my protective gear and all the "gadgets" on the bike. When I did ride with them I found myself wanting more adventure and excitement. The GT2 is the best all around motorcycle I have ever own. Sometimes I ride with GS's (who can just plain burn the miles away), sometimes I ride with the sport bikes and have fun in the twisties. On occasion I will ride with a group of mainly Harleys, but it's to socialize not ride.
That is a great example of the difference between people that are motorcycle enthusiasts and others that are trying to be a big bad biker they really aren't. The folks I do ride with on occasion are mostly on HDs but definitely in the former group. They just like to ride and their choice is what they want not just what they want to be seen on. In fact, it was one of them that talked me into taking a look at the GT. I had been looking at sport tourers and happened to make a run to the BMW dealer to look at some Gerbing stuff (the BMW dealers are the only ones that carry any meaningful inventory of that sort of stuff around here). My friend happened to be there and had been going on and on about the overgrown dirt bike he had ordered (GS-A) and talked me into some test rides. After two rides on the GT (and on a R-GS to prove I really didn't like it) I was signing papers and riding the GT home.

As you say, the GT has turned out to be a great "all-arounder". Not quite as squidly as a full out sport bike and not the all-day-long road sofa but good enough to keep up with any of them and enjoy the best of both extremes. I have noticed that most of the locals out & about on their garage jewelery quit waving at me
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 11:13 pm
Just saying hey

th0mas, I'm on the north side of Atlanta too, Lawrenceville area. A great thing about being here is that we're so close to some great riding areas. Maybe we can hook up for a ride to Suches and compare notes. It would be good to have another like minded person on a ride.

Brad
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Always possible but I'm not usually one for planning. Maybe I'll see you around. If you see a dark graphite GT with a blue VTX close by it's probably me and my better half.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode