Continental Tires SUCK! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Thumbs down Continental Tires SUCK!

On the GT anyway. I pulled outta my house with just over 1K miles on a Conti-Force rear tire. I figured I'd get around 6K out of it and have to replace it in AZ. Turns out I needed to replace the thing at LESS THAN 4K! What's up with that?! That was my first (AND LAST) Continental tire. I bought a set of Michelin Pilots at Central Texas Powersports. The staff there was kind, courteous, and professional. And their prices are CHEAP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 9:37 am

Hi, I just put bridgestone BT021's on. Seem more sticky than BT020's, but then again everytime I put new tyres on, the bike always seems better which is natural. Let us know how you get on with the pilot roads as I was temped with trying them.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 9:43 am Thread Starter

FWIW, so far I have had 'Stone 020s, Avon Azaros, the Conti on the rear, and now the Michelin's. The Avons have been replaced with the 'Storm' so I'll have to try those eventually. That is, unless these Pilots treat me right. So far, they are very sure-footed at high speeds.

My ultimate goal is to find a rear tire that gives me more than 6K, along with good wet/dry performance in the twisties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 7:49 pm
Let's Ride

Joe, Less than 4k is not acceptable. Unless you are on the track. I have never tried Conti-Force but have had two sets of Conti-Road Attacks with milage of 6.5k and 7k. I just tried a pair of Avon Storms 55/56 and only got 4.2k before the wear bars were showing. I will be interested to see what your Michelin Pilots give you for milage.
Safe Travels,

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:39 am
Enthusiast

I have the stock Metzeler Z6 tyres and at just over 8000km (5000 miles) I would say they are about half worn. This is similar to what I got out of the Bridgestones on my Kawasaki (which were very worn at 18000km) and probably indicates that I use my bike for everyday transport, not sports riding, rather than anything special about the tyres.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:23 am

I also have the Metzeler Z6s that came with the bike. I have 6,300 miles and appear to only be half worn. On my R1150RS I would usually get around 10K on the Z6s.

John
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 9:52 pm
IBR# 366

How can you guys tell how far the Z6 tires are worn? With a solid center, there are no wear bars to check. I have 3,700 miles on mine. The front still looks new, but I have no idea if the rear is half worn or about to break through to the cords.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:20 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-1
Joe, Less than 4k is not acceptable. Unless you are on the track. I have never tried Conti-Force but have had two sets of Conti-Road Attacks with milage of 6.5k and 7k. I just tried a pair of Avon Storms 55/56 and only got 4.2k before the wear bars were showing. I will be interested to see what your Michelin Pilots give you for milage.
Safe Travels,
I have had 3 sets of Conti Road Attacks on my 04 K-GT and I love them. I get over 7500 miles if I watch the tire pressure. On one set I got 8500, but there was no tread in the middle on the rear tire.

I just bout a set for a 91 K100RS.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 1:08 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
How can you guys tell how far the Z6 tires are worn? With a solid center, there are no wear bars to check. I have 3,700 miles on mine. The front still looks new, but I have no idea if the rear is half worn or about to break through to the cords.
It is a bit difficult to estimate exactly but I reckon it is not far off half worn. You can look at the tread markers in the tread immediately adjacent to the centre section and there is heaps of tread left. I wouldn't worry about wear until the tread closest to the centre is down to the tread marker.
My tyre is also nowhere near flat in the middle and still has a nice curve on it. I would expect a very flat centre section by the end of the tyre's life. All of this points to plenty of life left I reckon, especially for my everyday type of riding and not much time trying to out corner and out accelerate a racing bike!

I never replace the rear tyre until it is really flat in the middle and the tread markers are starting to wear, probably a bit different from a lot of people who ride for recreation only and like to keep the tyre in top condition. I would be surprised if doesn't last until 16000km based on my previous experience and the look of the tyre currently.

Not very scientific but that is what I reckon.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 5:59 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug
I have had 3 sets of Conti Road Attacks on my 04 K-GT and I love them. I get over 7500 miles if I watch the tire pressure. On one set I got 8500, but there was no tread in the middle on the rear tire.

I just bout a set for a 91 K100RS.
Well, that's good to hear! Can't wait to try them out, they look kewl, if nothing else.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode