First Weekend on the GT2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 10:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

Talking First Weekend on the GT2

First weekend with the new to me 2006 K1200GT in that fastest of all colors, Silver. Took off Saturday morning with three friends (two Ducati’s and an Aprilia Tuono) and we headed for the Sierras. From Sacramento headed out hwy 16 to Ione Road and then up around Lake Pardee. Great twisties with almost no traffic. Though I did have a California Turkey Vulture play Stuka and dive bomb within about 10 feet of me! The weather was great and the rodes were clear. Had lunch outside in shirtsleeves at the Kirkwood Inn and had a snowball fight afterwards! Afterwards, my buddies took off back to Sacto, and I continued on to Virginia City. Some thrilling twisties on the grade between VC and Reno. Need to do that run going uphill!

All the bikes ran like the great machines they are and they all are beauts, but this is about my new bike.

Changing from a 2000 RT to the K12GT was….interesting. Both big bikes with plenty of touring capabilities, but also quite a sportiness to them that draws me to the twisties. To me, after a 400+ mile weekend with at least 50-60 miles of real twisties and the rest nice sweepers and some boring straight stuff, the GT does not yet seem to have the “flickability” in the turns that I like on the RT. Having said that, I’m not sure if it is the duolever suspension or not, but the GT inspires great confidence in the turns: both sweepers and twisties. By Sunday afternoon my corner entry speeds on the GT were noticeably higher than on the RT AND the bike felt more “sure” in the curves. The torque of the GT is awe inspiring. Whether from 30 to 60 mph or from 60 to 90 mph those 152 horses get that machine moving in the blink of an eye. Passing those inconvenient cages on 88 was a breeze.

Other differences of note: Wind protection on the GT was slightly less so that my arms were buffeted more than on the RT. Riding position only a bit more forward and the footpegs a bit back so I have more knee bend. Taking some getting used to, but another ride or two should resolve it. The engines definitely have a different feel and sound to them and there is something about the boxer engine that I still love. The power to weight of the GT is a joy to experience. I am finding that I very much like the partially integrated ABS. Whether I needed to do a quick stop or just brush off a bit of speed for a corner entry, the brakes were flawless. A light one finger squeeze smoothly adjusted my speed to where I needed it for the turns

Obviously, comparing a 2000RT to a 2006 GT is somewhat apples to oranges given the technological differences between the model years and the inherent differnces of the RTs and the GTs. However, the power and control of the GT is something else. I love the ESA (available on newer RT’s as well) and notice a huge difference when switching between comfort and sport settings. Comfort is definitely easier on the body on those freeway/straight stretches and is a benefit for the long distance rides.

I loved the RT and, if I had room for two bikes, I might have kept it. The GT is one hell of a machine that can fly like a bat out of hell both on the straights and in the curves and is quickly earning my admiration. There is a reason this bike has won sport tourer honors. I have pics of the RT and GT side-by-side but they are too large to attach and I am too technology challenged to decrease the pic size. :o

Some great info on this site and I look forward to continuing to learn more about the GT from all of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 11:49 am
Addict-oholic

I felt the same way, when I did my first all day ride last summer. This bike is awesome, and I have yet to really learn how to ride it.
Congratulations and welcome to thew "in" crowd !

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2007, 10:37 pm
Enthusiast

Your experience on the difference between the RT and GT is very similar to what I felt while riding a demo RT a few days ago. It is surprising that the riding postion doesn't feel all that different when going from the GT to the RT, just a small difference as you described.

I noticed the extra wind on the arms after moving to the GT from the Kawasaki GTR1000 with a larger Cee Bailey screen and while noticable, it is not a problem. The main thing I notice is that the rider and passenger get severely buffetted with strong side winds, something that I don't remember as much on the GTR. The wind seems to hit the body at full strength as if the screen wasn't there, every now and then, which jerks your body but doesn't affect the bike much. It is only really a problem in open country with strong 90 degree cross winds. I have the large BMW screen but a wider after market screen may be better. Maybe I should ride at 160kph rather than 120kph, which is close to the 110kph speed limit in Western Australia.

Great to see you enjoying the fantastic K1200GT. The bike is fantastic at overtaking cages at any speed and can only be described as effortless at whatever you ask it to do. I have never driven anything that can overtake in any gear at any speed the way the GT does. You see the gap and wham the bike is through it and gone. Fantastic!

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:50 am Thread Starter
Noob

I agree with your comments on the wind buffeting. I have a cee bailey +2+1 and still noticed I got knocked pretty good by some side wind. Certainly more than I recall on my RT with the aeroflow shield.

Also, I think your description Bob of riding the bike as "effortless" is spot on. Acceleration and braking take almost no second thought. I am already feeling as though I am "a part of the bike". I can only imagine what it will feel like in another 2-3 months of riding!

I note as well that I feel more as though I am sitting "in" the GT2 machine rather than perched on it as with the RT and many other bikes I've ridden. Perhaps this accounts for the perceived or actual increased cornering ability? :yeah

I know many/most of the newer BMW's have electronic cruise control, but in my short experience thus far I find it necessary with the K12GT. Reason? Using it is the only effective way for me to keep the bike at or near lawful speed limits on the interstates and other boring roads!

Glad to be part of the "in" crowd and looking forward to getting to know better my new ride and this crowd.

Robert

Rob T

2006 K1200GT Silver (the fastest color)
2000 R1100RT Gone, but not forgotten
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:15 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrider
Also, I think your description Bob of riding the bike as "effortless" is spot on. Acceleration and braking take almost no second thought. I am already feeling as though I am "a part of the bike". I can only imagine what it will feel like in another 2-3 months of riding!

I note as well that I feel more as though I am sitting "in" the GT2 machine rather than perched on it as with the RT and many other bikes I've ridden. Perhaps this accounts for the perceived or actual increased cornering ability? :yeah

I know many/most of the newer BMW's have electronic cruise control, but in my short experience thus far I find it necessary with the K12GT. Reason? Using it is the only effective way for me to keep the bike at or near lawful speed limits on the interstates and other boring roads!

Glad to be part of the "in" crowd and looking forward to getting to know better my new ride and this crowd.

Robert
I have to second all of this, what a fantastic machine. What's bugging me is though I really and totally dig this machine, I don't love it. I was rabidly in love with my LT, put 108,000 miles on her and actually cried when I sold her. I haven't fallen in love with this bike. Could it be because the damn thang is such a brute and I have absolutely no homosexual tendencies?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:15 pm
IBR# 366

You just need to find a freight elevator, Grif. Big enough for you to ride into and "bond" with the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 6:04 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
You just need to find a freight elevator, Grif. Big enough for you to ride into and "bond" with the bike.
How bout the shed I keep the Kawasaki Mule and DR mower in? That ought to work, too.

-=grif=-
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 2:43 pm
IBR# 366

Not sure about that. I think the up/down motion is somehow critical to the bonding process. And the fact that you may be randomly interrupted at any floor by unsuspecting people. But the shed may do in a pinch. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out for you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 3:30 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I think the up/down motion is somehow critical to the bonding process.

-=grif=-
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 3:35 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I haven't fallen in love with this bike. Could it be because the damn thang is such a brute and I have absolutely no homosexual tendencies?
I find it unusual you consider your bike a "male". Are sure about those tendencies?

I tend to think of my bike, "Katie" as one very hot blooded frau, she's not a "brute".

This could be the classical Freudian slip Grif. :wtf

When you're in the shed (or should we say "closet") with the "Brute", mind your backside.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode