Fuel Gage reading wrong - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Fuel Gage reading wrong

After returning from my Florida trip I was disappointed with the gas millage I was getting. I was getting about 300klm to a tank before being told by the computer I was down to 50 or so klm to empty.
My R1150rt got 400klm then I needed to look for a gas station.
I looked at the receipts and noticed I was only putting in 3.5 to 4 U.S gallons. The tank holds 6.5. Told the dealer and he wasn't sure what to actually do. So I said I would carry a small gas tank for 2 runs, reset the trip meters when gage reads 0klm to empty, then run until I ran out of gas. Both runs gave me another 60klm. My total millage on each run was about 430klm give or take 10klms. I was not a speed demon or in a lot of stop and go traffic after I hit the 0klm mark. I live 50klm from work so it worked out nice for me.
I will let the dealer know my finding just as I am letting you all know.
Sort of an FYI thing in case you think your gage might be off.

KGK1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:45 pm

Gas

I don't have a ton of history on the bike yet, but I have never put more than 5.2 gallons in during a fuel stop. I tend to run it until the countdown tells me nothing is left, well after the yellow triangle comes on. I'm getting about 42 or 43 mpg per my math and the receipts, and 46 per the computer.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 8:50 pm
Addict

my KR normally has right around 0.9 gallons left in the tank when the display switches to ---- for the range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 9:32 pm
IBR# 366

Let us know what you find out. I'm having a similar issue. I put 5.6 gallons into it once, but that was riding well after the indicator hit ---.

I've also noticed that the miles remaining gets set after I fill up, then rises for the first 1/2 hour or so, then starts falling rapidly. It never shows how many miles I really do have remaining. My LT was much more accurate, or at least much more predictable.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:05 pm
Enthusiast

That is the same as what I have found. I fill up several km past the zero point, usually at between 350 and 360km on the trip meter and I have never put in more than 22.5l, with a capacity according to BMW of 24l.

I had the dealer look at my gauge when the bike was in for the brake pad warning light a week or two ago and they said that the problem is that the plastic strip that measures the fuel doesn't extend to the bottom of the tank, which is quite skinny and difficult to get to. They couldn't even tell me how much fuel was left when the computer says it is empty.

If you did 60km after empty that translates to about 3.8l, just less than the theoretical reserve of 4l, when the gauge says you have zero km to go before empty. This is exactly what I have been assuming is the case and I only start thinking about fuel after it tells me I have ---- to go.

The other annoying thing is the BC says that I am getting around 5.4l/100km. In fact I am getting much worse consumption of around 6.2 to 6.4l/100km. So the BC is pretty well useless all round!

Sorry about the km and litres. I could convert to mpg in imperial gallons but I have no idea what a US gallon is except that it is different to every other gallon in the world!!

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 6:07 am
Strafist

I look at the --- as the start of reserve and figure I have about 40 miles left before walking. This is purely figured on how much gas I put in the tank at close to ---

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:34 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I look at the --- as the start of reserve and figure I have about 40 miles left before walking. This is purely figured on how much gas I put in the tank at close to ---
That is what we all seem to be doing to get enough range out of the tank. However, it is supposed to be a countdown to empty, not to one gallon or 4l left. At least we now know there really is about 40 miles or 60km left in the tank when the gauge tells you it is empty. I haven't been game to run it dry and it is not good for the catalytic convertor to run it dry anyway.

Thanks KGK1200GT for doing the test for us.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:42 am
Strafist

Here's something funny: about 5 years ago, on the LT board, I was talking about --- to a guy and --- kept coming up. His next post was a pissed off one. Seems he thought --- was cussing him.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:51 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Here's something funny: about 5 years ago, on the LT board, I was talking about --- to a guy and --- kept coming up. His next post was a pissed off one. Seems he thought --- was cussing him.
Grif,

Don't you have any ---- work to do today? At least I am at home about to go to bed at 10.00pm while I am reading this ---- post.

Happy riding!

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD
it is supposed to be a countdown to empty, not to one gallon or 4l left.
That would be my complaint as well. When I've run mine down to the "---" display I've put in ~5.5 gal. That said, I've never owned any vehicle that really had an accurate miles-to-empty display. Which is why I still reset a trip meter despite having a fuel gauge and trip computer. I plan to mention it when I go in for my 6k service but I'm not getting my hopes up on a fix.

Wasn't there some mention of this being addressed on one of the PCM software updates?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode