2006 K1200GT Clutch Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 6:36 am Thread Starter

2006 K1200GT Clutch Problem

I own a 2006 K1200GT which I picked up in June 2006. From the day I began riding the bike, I had a squeeking, grinding noise as I would disengage the clutch from neutral into first gear. I have now brought the bike in 3 times to have the problem (which I do not accept for a $25,000 bike) rectified. BMW Germany acknowledges that there is a problem and "are working on it". I ask all of you that have the same problem not to accept your dealer's answer that "it is normal". It is not normal and we should all demand a resolve to this very annoying problem. I would like to hear from any of you that have the same issue and perhaps get your email addresses so that we can all speak together with one voice to BMW!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:40 am

You are hearing clutch chatter as others have posted in this thread. It's pretty common on multi-disc setups and not unique to K12GT or BMW for that matter. Mine does it too and more often when hot. That's when the oil film is lighter and the discs don't have as much "cushion" when they come together. About the only thing that will improve that is more forgiving friction material - at the expense of grip at the other end of the tach. If you think the GT clutch is noisy, you ought to stand next to a Ducati running a dry clutch when it launches.

Take the low stress approach. You've gotten the issue documented on your service visits now go ride it and have fun. If it gets worse or breaks down you've got a paper trail to back up warranty work. Besides - you are seeing validation with other folks that this isn't something serious. I learned the hard way not to let minor defects suck away the enjoyment of a new bike or car.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:47 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0mas_l
You are hearing clutch chatter as others have posted in this thread. It's pretty common on multi-disc setups and not unique to K12GT or BMW for that matter. Mine does it too and more often when hot. That's when the oil film is lighter and the discs don't have as much "cushion" when they come together. About the only thing that will improve that is more forgiving friction material - at the expense of grip at the other end of the tach. If you think the GT clutch is noisy, you ought to stand next to a Ducati running a dry clutch when it launches.

Take the low stress approach. You've gotten the issue documented on your service visits now go ride it and have fun. If it gets worse or breaks down you've got a paper trail to back up warranty work. Besides - you are seeing validation with other folks that this isn't something serious. I learned the hard way not to let minor defects suck away the enjoyment of a new bike or car.
I couldn't have put it better Thomas. I was about to post along similar lines but you beat me to it. Much better to ride and enjoy the bike than worry about problems all the time.

If you do get somewhere with a fix echarton let us know what it is.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:49 am

absolutely normal, quit worrying, start riding.

F

05LT
07GT
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:54 am
Strafist

....or turn the music up. A leetle heavy metal in the tweesties?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:07 pm
Capn' Blowhard

What's wrong with a lotta metal in the fun stuff?

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 9:34 am
Addict

After racking up a flawless 5,000 miles late last year, personal circumstances caused me to put the bike in "storage" for 5 months. I was finally able to get the bike out again last weekend and discovered the same clutch engagement symptoms that others have described. Clutch juddering shuddering herking and jerking on initial engagement.

After a few spirited 1st gear acceleration runs it went away. If you're willing to try this it may work for you too. Just make sure you're pointed in the right direction prior to launch. :yeah

John 06 CGM KGT
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 11:11 am
fas

Talking clutch anxiety

Quarter Master was one of my companies when I was president of Hawk Performance. We had over 60% of the Indy car clutches in the Indy 500 recently and over half of the NASCAR field, so I get clutches. Hawk also makes friction for clutches. I have been in the friction business for many years.

My GT now has 5,400 miles on it and the clutch is fine. I bought my 2006 GT in July of 2006.

Yes, you will have some "set off" engagement issues that may spook you.

In case you have a defect, keep documenting your issues with your dealer and with the BMW customer service. This will position you for a free clutch if the problem blooms into a mechanical defect.

Are you pulling wheelies?

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 11:45 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Are you pulling wheelies?
Are you suggesting we should?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 12:07 pm

My '07 GT does the same thing. A little noise doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. I feel if this was a problematic isssue, we'd see clutches burning out prematurely. Has anyone needed clutch replacement at unusually low milage? (who doesn't beat up their drivetrain)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode