Should I do it? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:50 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Question Should I do it?

So, I've got around 32k on my 03 GT. I still love it - makes me grin every time I get on it or walk away from it.

I got a mailing today from the "local" dealer. By local I mean 100 miles from my house. They've got special financing - 4.9%.

I'm not quite sure which way to go at this point. I'm looking at an $85/month increase in payment. Of course, warranty would be back in effect which is nice, but I guess i'm on the fence about whether or not I should give BMW my money again.

I guess I'm looking for some dis/en-courargment to look into this further. I've got a request for a quote from them so we'll see how that turns out.

I like some of the new features, but not really sure that I wannt give up my big blue whale baby.

Thoughts?

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:59 pm

Got mine last June. I've never ridden an older GT so my opinion isn't fully qualified, but this bike is a dream.

Have you taken a test ride?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:20 pm
Veteran

Yep. You really need a test ride.

Then you can borrow my pen for the dotted line.

Funny how this BMW test ride stuff works.

The whole time I test rode it coming from an old 100K mile R1100RTL I was thinking "This is too small. I don't like the way it accelerates (?). I hate payments. It's too smooth. I don't like the buffeting. Sound system is lacking. I hate payments. Seat hurts (although the seat got really hot that cold morning which made me a believer of that!). Cruise control is nice. Okay, it's fast. I still hate payments. Passing is easier. Nice gauges. Mirrors are better than looking at my hand in the RT. Brakes are way strong (mine are servo) and less effort. Suspension thingy is nice and works. Dunno about the easy to scuff paint boxes. I still hate payments. etc."

Then you sit in "The Chair" thinking "What the hell am I doing?"

"Oh, gimme that Crystal Gray one over there and load it all up too. Yeah, I need that 7-year service plan too. Toss in that Navigator GPS thing too. Need more lights. Gimme that there Autocom thingy over there too. 'What? I need that Gadget-Guy stuff too?.' Gimme it. Yadda Yadda."

Oh, did I say "I hate payments?" I really do.

Then I rode off into the sunset thinking "What the hell did I just do?" But heck, you only live once and it only cost me $30K of smiles so it must account for something...

Oh, I still carry the worn out and torn bill of sale in the glove box with a coffee stain from my shaking hand just to mess with the Harley folk on their cheap pieces o' chrome crap.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:36 pm
Enthusiast

Get a K1200R Sport! If you can stand just a whee bit more wind, an attack position and more screaming horsepower, rpm and speed... and the same freaking incredible suspension (I think they are the same as the GT) which includes ESA. Of course, to each his own...

Sorry, hope it's ok to "invade" the GT portion of the site. But I started by looking at GTs - the fab four cyclinder of grand tourismo - and ended up doing a little more muscle with the R. Cheers... safe riding.

2007 K1200R Sport w/ Leo Vince EvoII titanium slip-on. They say that moving sucks. I rather like it, when it's on my bike.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:44 pm

not on get

I got a flyer too. But the 4.9 is only on the new 650's and on the new 800's .

Its a way to get those bikes out on the road....

Don't think the GT is on that plan, call before you put in the 100 miles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 2:58 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
I got a flyer too. But the 4.9 is only on the new 650's and on the new 800's .

Its a way to get those bikes out on the road....

Don't think the GT is on that plan, call before you put in the 100 miles.
Someone mentioned that on ther "other site" as well. I checked the postcard closely and it didn't specify that models were excluded. I'll have to look at the card again (plus my wife got one in the mail too so I have 2 to throw at them in case they pull that!)

I'll letcha know how it works out

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode