weight limit - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:23 pm Thread Starter

weight limit

My wife,s and my combined weight total is 555 pounds. Is that too much weight to

carry or would it damage the suspension ? :wtf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 1:49 am
IBR# 366

BMW claims the GT's dry weight as 549 lbs, with a total carrying capacity of 1147 lbs. Most places spec the GT at 622 lbs fully fueled up. That gives a load capacity of 598 lbs, or more realistically 525 lbs.

Keep in mind that they often underestimate total carrying capacity to build in a slight safety margin (maybe 5% or so), but also remember that you'll probably want to pack a few things along which may negate that. Also, any options you add (such as a trunk) will increase the bike's real weight and decrease its remaining load capacity.

For reference, the K1200LT claims a load capacity of 561 lbs (1322 - 761 lbs dry), and the R1200RT claims a load capacity of 586 lbs (1091 - 505 lbs dry).

So you're probably in the same boat no matter what bike you get. Unless you talk your wife into riding her own bike . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 7:42 am

You're probably right at the limit. Note that would eliminate any spare capacity for luggage if you do any touring. Comfort might be an issue, especially on longer rides. You and the missus need to try one out to make sure you don't feel pressed into the tank or she like she's falling off the back. Even though the GT will carry your combined weight, you might consider options with more generous seating.

Meese's suggestion about her riding her own is a good one. The MSF basic riders course is an easy way to test the waters. Worst case she'll do well and you'll be buying/maintaining two bikes and not worrying so much about the capacity After a couple years on the back of my bike, my wife did the MSF course (about 3 yrs ago) and after gaining experience on a VT750 Shadow is now piloting a VTX1800.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 10:04 am

Derek, my wife and I together are in the high 400s, she won't tell me her weight so I don't really know but I figure we are pushing 500 lbs. I don't have a K12GT so can't comment on that but I have ridden Gold Wings a lot so that's where my comments are from:

1) Don't know if you've ridden with her on the back before BUT, you'll really notice it. I've ridden with 200+ people and 150 people. At 150 I start to notice folks and above there it gets much more noticible.

2) The Gold Wings GVW (and max weight for riders and gear) is less than the K12GT or LT. Yet I constant see a combination of large folks and LOTS of luggage. Easily exceeding the recommend limit by 100+ pounds or more. This often includes some rather large tongue weights on trailers.

3) You need to set the suspension up to maximum.

4) You may find that steering has been compromised a lot because the total Center of Gravity has shifted back more.

5) You really need to try out the bike to find out how you'll end up sitting. With my wife, my back touches her front which sounds great but in warm weather it isn't and it doesn't give me any ability to move around.

6) The bike will "wallow" somewhat even with this. Keep your tire pressures up but do NOT be aggressive in any fashion.

7) I'd suggest you test sit on a GT, an LT, a Gold Wing, perhaps the new Connie and heaven forbid, a full dressed Harley to see what the comfort is for both of you. Note the GL1800 Gold Wing can be ridden pretty agressively (Likely like an LT and both will out ride a Harley). But if the missus ain't happy you get slapped upside the head so check it out.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode