Anyone got a color wiring diagram of the GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 12:07 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Anyone got a color wiring diagram of the GT?

It's not in their Repair DVD (worthless thing anyway).

I opened up the bike and it is a total after-market rat's nest of wires. I can see why the installing dealer charged me nearly $1000 to add the stuff. They must have used $1000 in wires and assorted connectors - some of which I've never seen in an auto parts store.

They have a couple of weird wires running out of the back of the computer under the right fairing across the front of the battery to some box. Then another lone yellow wire runs back over to the right side and up to three or four relays by the right mirror inside the front fairing. Someone cut the loom there and pulled out a striped colored wire and "smash crimped" into it. I don't know what those right relays or whatever they are control (windshield? flashers?).

Then another wire runs up into the loom, also cut open to expose a smaller wire and they used one of those "smash connectors" to tie into it. Out of the elusive Autocom red-box buried among 8 feet of wiring was their Can-Bus relay with an assortment of wires. They gave the instructions for that box though. To this are maybe 3-4 Tee and various connectors I've never seen before. It appears they used a knife to strip the wires as I see a lot of bare copper prior to their connectors. Might be a nick for testing stuff too.

No wires are dressed. They are all very long and do not terminate in the same color they seem to begin with. Seems like I got a pound of tie-wrap plastic that held the mess together along with a yard of electrical tape. The wires are long enough that when I cut off all the tie-wraps the after-market wiring loom will touch the ground!

I did discover the relay buried in there for the Motolights has 5 connectors(?). It's pretty heavy too. Then I found one Motolight filament open (maybe it happened during the fall which messed up the Autoswitch?), but the socket is also shorted somewhere along the loom, maybe another tie-wrap pinch somewhere along the fork. I like how Motolight silicon-glued the bulb to the socket to seal it. Least I found replacement bulbs at OSH for $7.50 each.

Anyway, anyone seen a color diagram of this 2nd Gen GT bike somewhere? I may need to try the dealer (bribe them somehow) but I don't know if they'll be obliging on releasing the wiring info and why they tied into the points they did beneath the front fairing and in back of the computer box, especially the wires out of the ECU that are tie-wrapped to the BMW factory loom and to the relays up by the right mirror. There's 3 or 4 points where they cut and spliced into the factory loom, but I don't know what their tech was doing or why. Some of this may have been done by one dealer trying to correct the other dealer's mistakes. Dunno, but it just seems odd.

I smell a Can-Bus alteration done by them somewhere...

Other notables: BMW sealed battery is showing signs of leaking (white powder) occurring around the seal (10 months old. Odyssey time already?). Typical water corrosion is occurring in plug-in connectors that are not sealed (mostly dealer stuff). Memo to self: "Don't wash the bike near the front of the battery." Some fairing bolts seem a little stripped or crossed threaded (really needed a lot of force needed to unscrew them all the way out).

Tia.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode