ECU Changes, High Idle, etc. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 8:50 am Thread Starter
Veteran

ECU Changes, High Idle, etc.

The erratic idle, throttle response, software updates, and I'm sure a plethora of other problems have presented issues to 'some' GT owners. Consider, that for all practical purposes there are now three (3) versions of the K1200GT.
1. 2006 Model Year, introduced May 2006, standard servo brakes, etc.
2. Fall 2006, 2007 Model Year, Teves Brakes, and 'some promises of upgrades
3. Spring, 2007, Latest 2007 Model Year; Teves Brakes, Xenon, TPM, ASC, etc.

So, in reality in less than one year there have been for all intents and purposes three models of the GT.

Some things I know.
There is an entirely NEW ECU on the latest model of the GT.
If you want to know if you have it, here's a picture. The BMSKP is the tip-off. This ECU is specific for ALL slant/4 engines but is also VIN specific. That makes no sense to me but when ordering this ECU the VIN must be furnished. BTW, this ECU picture comes from my 2006 K12R (which we all know is the exact same bike as the 2005 K1200S) BUT IS ALSO THE EXACT SAME ECU IN THE LATEST K12GT '07 MODEL. The ECU stores the key-code and Germany did not record that key code at Hq. for my K12R.The only way to cut me a spare key was to order a NEW ECU where the key-code is recorded/known.

Also, I am aware of 'air-box' warpage causing problems. After a somewhat long ride, the manifestation of the problem is erratic idle e.g. Idle blipping upwards of 2-3000 RPM. This may be a difficult problem for dealer to address in that by the time they get it, it's no longer a problem and it involves removing the tupperware, and some hardware I understand. And, after all that they may see nothing and NOT be eligible for warranty reimbursement.

There may be a perception at BMWNA that we are a bunch of crazies!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 10:46 am
Enthusiast

Awesome Insight

Superb post, John. For a rookie who will be pulling the trigger on a new GT in the not too distant future, this is another bit of information that will be stored on my mental hard drive.

Question: Should I wait to order a 2008 K1200GT?

Not to sound like a total suck up, but I've very much enjoyed your contributions to all things GT related on this site and others. Your efforts are duly noted & appreciated.

Regards,

David
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 10:53 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Superb post, John. For a rookie who will be pulling the trigger on a new GT in the not too distant future, this is another bit of information that will be stored on my mental hard drive.

Question: Should I wait to order a 2008 K1200GT?

Not to sound like a total suck up, but I've very much enjoyed your contributions to all things GT related on this site and others. Your efforts are duly noted & appreciated.

Regards,

David
Some of this opinion David and I must be careful on this. I would not give up one day of riding waiting for an '08. But, I would recommend that you avoid certain '07's that are likely hanging around as inventory. First, you could insist from the dealer that you see the date of manufacture, or, pop up the seat and make sure the ECU, as in the picture has the same part. Another sure way is if the GT has ASC it is a late model 2007 and not the transition bike as ID'ed in item 2. As options I'd take them all. Hell, why try and save a few bucks on this magnificent cycle: Tire pressure superfluous, but hell, why not. ASC guarantees it's the newest model. Xenon headlight, yeah, you could do it yourself, but why??

Good luck, PM me if you need more info.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 12:13 pm

For reference, I purchased an '07 GT in late March which had a Feb 2007 production date. I have not encountered any of the elctronics issues that others have posted about. I have approx. 800 miles on the bike now. (I have ASC, Xenon, and TPM from the factory)
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 12:16 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREBRAD
For reference, I purchased an '07 GT in late March which had a Feb 2007 production date. I have not encountered any of the elctronics issues that others have posted about. I have approx. 800 miles on the bike now. (I have ASC, Xenon, and TPM from the factory)
And thanks for posting. And, of course if you check under the pillion you'll see that you have the late model ECU with the same part designator as in the picture. Of course you couldn't have ASC without it! Ride safe!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 12:40 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
And thanks for posting. And, of course if you check under the pillion you'll see that you have the late model ECU with the same part designator as in the picture. Of course you couldn't have ASC without it! Ride safe!
And I just purchased my GT and it was manufactured 12/06. It has Xenon, Teves brakes, but no ASC or TPM. ECU is labeled BMSK, not BMSKP. I have noticed very minor surging only, and no idle issues, but have not had the bike long enough to take it on long rides. Currently at 600 mi.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 1:40 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

The thread was started for information. My intent was not to equate OLD=BAD and NEW = GOOD and hope it was not perceived as such. This thread was started to inform of the new ECU. You have the old ECU, the bike's running fine, as former (old Daley) Mayor of Chicago said, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 2:48 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
The thread was started for information. My intent was not to equate OLD=BAD and NEW = GOOD and hope it was not perceived as such. This thread was started to inform of the new ECU. You have the old ECU, the bike's running fine, as former (old Daley) Mayor of Chicago said, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."
Understood, I did not take your post in any way except as you intended.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 7:29 pm
Capn' Blowhard

John,

Did you order a new ECU? I know there was talk of someone here that was doing just that and wasn't sure if it was you or not.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2007, 8:33 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm having one installed tomorrow/Saturday. What the hell, why not?

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode