The BMSKP ECU as a performance upgrade... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 7:13 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

The BMSKP ECU as a performance upgrade...

My K1200GT 2006 is one year old. It has performed well but has had a share of minor issues in throttle response area: rough idling, a bit of erratic throttle response, and all issues except one were cleared up by the installation of C.I.P 8.X. Pretty much a happy camper other than the slight hesitation in almost any gear and almost any RPM less than 7000, when whacking open the throttle. Certainly no reason to be upset with the bike and certainly nothing to complain to the dealer about. What with the other issues surrounding others', I was happy and considered myself fortunate.

Well, the new BMSKP ECU came out early spring I believe and I wondered if it would make a difference. Seems the latest run of '07 GT's with the new ECU were trouble-free. Why not. So, I ordered one, paid for it out of my own pocket, and had it installed today.

Results: Absolutely NO hesitation, engines seems much smoother, and the added bonus, seems to have a tad more power. I went from Jacksonville, FL on the old ECU and came back on the new one, so there was minimal time lag in the change. In a nutshell, not cheap, but worth it IMO. I'm not sure why the cycle seems more powerful, but it does. No hesitation and it seems as if BMW has finally gotten it correct.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 7:29 pm
The Gov

I just know I'm going to regret this, but could you give me an idea of the cost for a new ECU, order of magnitude only, don't want to look toooooo stupit if I ask at the parts counter.

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 7:47 pm

New ECU

John, please keep us aprised of the working of the upgrade ECU.
Did you say the 8.x update cured any low speed jitters and idle problems for you???

Rusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 7:56 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAPTRAPPER
Did you say the 8.x update cured any low speed jitters and idle problems for you???

Rusty
8.x cured everything (but remember, my issues were minor, erratic low-end throttle was main one and hesitation when aggressively applying throttle. ) The new ECU got rid of the hesitation entirely and it's smooth as silk and seems more powerful.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 8:17 pm
Capn' Blowhard

John,

Was this something you had to have your dealer do or could you have performed the swap yourself?

Wondering if there is anything on their side that they must do when installing (initializing or something with the GT1).

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLAPTRAPPER

Rusty
I got the 8x upgrade a week or so ago. Overall, I'd say it was a good thing. For the most
part, the bike is much smoother. I've still got the "bucking" thing going on and the high
speed idle thing happening. For the later, they've got an airbox on order.

Apparently, the airbox kit is supposed to contain more than just the box and the hope
is that this combination (as well as the cable check previously mentioned).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 6:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Seems the latest run of '07 GT's with the new ECU were trouble-free.
I wish!

I had high/slow-return idle (fixed) and still have an intermittent flat-spot accelerating from low rpm and the BBS (bucking bronco syndrome) as outstanding issues.

And yes, I have "BMSKP".
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 1:54 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Dealer has to do it...marry the ECU with your bike, etc. Watched it while being done. All menu driven.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 2:28 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitScribbler
I wish!

I had high/slow-return idle (fixed) and still have an intermittent flat-spot accelerating from low rpm and the BBS (bucking bronco syndrome) as outstanding issues.

And yes, I have "BMSKP".

I have an '07 with BMSK (no P) bought in Dec '06 and has 4100 miles on the odo, and absolutely no problems whatsover. There's a little flat spot around 3000-3500, but I don't call that a problem.

My son has an '07 with BMSKP bought in April '07 and has 450 miles on the odo, and has just experienced the rough idle and stuck throttle syndrome.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 10:31 pm

I read somewhere that the idle issue was related to the idle actuator (stepper motor)located in the airbox. I guess it's a place to look into instead of focusing on the computer or software only. I rode a demo 07 GT for about only 20 minutes and the bike was way smoother and pleasure to ride compare to my 05 S.

Cheers,
Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode