Small Screen -2 Cee Bailey - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2007, 10:58 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Small Screen -2 Cee Bailey

Broke down and purchased the Cee Bailey smaller screen. I ordered the -2 Tall/+2 Wide dark tinted screen for my 2006 GT. I have the +3Tall/+2Wide for the winter.

I received the new screen yesterday and got my first ride today. My goal was to get something that would get some cool air coming into me for the spring and summer. I was also looking for a screen that gave me relatively clean air so that I was not getting pounded at the helmet by wind turbulence.

The stock screen (my bike came with the OEM tall) just did not meet my needs. Wasnt tall enough or wide enough to provide good protection and too tall to give me a clean breeze. The OEM seemed to let air come around the screen and created a lot of noise and some turbulence. I am aprox 6" with a 34" Levi inseam

OK here is my opinion - the new screen is perfect for me. I get relatively clean air when all the way down and can raise it enough to get behind it when i want out of the wind. I am very surprised at how quiet it is even with the screen all the way down. The +2" wider i think really makes a huge difference for me in giving me clean air and not pounding the helmet when the screen is down.

My ride today consisted of 60 miles of twisty mountain roads and a 25 mile freeway run at speeds up to 80. I experimented with the screen both up and down on the freeway. Relatively clean air in the all the way down position, yet there is still enough screen when it is raised to provide some pretty darn good protection.

Screens i have learned are very personal and what may work to give me clean air can be terrible for someone shorter or taller. Looks like i got lucky and got a good combination of shorter and wider that works for me.

Good luck for all of you experimenting with summer screens. By the way, here are a couple of quck shots of the new screen. Excuse the crappy photography.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	5000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	5001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	5002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	5003  

Last edited by Ricbob; May 5th, 2007 at 11:13 pm. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 12:37 am
Enthusiast

Screen's a real looker. I'm looking for more clean air - thanks for the report.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 7:13 am
Enthusiast

That's great news! Fed-Ex has my -2,+2 I should have it Wed. I am 6'2 and the noise and buffeting behind the +2 screen that came on my bike is awful! Looks great too!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 9:19 am
Veteran

Does the screen touch the bodywork in the full "down" position? At speed?

Thanks! Looks awesome!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 11:15 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Skiziks Q + others

They have done a nice job at CB in designing this screen for our bike. It has plenty of body clearance. The screen also seems pretty stout when it comes to thickness plus given its short size, there does not seem to be much flex even at higher speeds.

BillG - i agree on that buffetting and noise from the OEM +2 - it was terrible for me. Once i got the CB wider screen on my bike the noise went way down. I am convinced that BMW has cut these screens to narrow. I even went back and tried my OEM screen last week and wow what a decibel difference - ouch.

Thanks to all for the comments - i also really like the look and it even looks more stealthlike in person.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 12:10 pm

This will probably sound stupid but here goes. I see you have a +3+2 screen for winter. How's that compare to the new, short one noise wise? How about riding in rain?

I'm inclined to go with the shorter option then buy a taller one if needed. Eventually I'll get off the fence and just order one
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 12:26 pm
Veteran

Looks nice.

I may need to try another screen as my +4+2 C-B is not as quiet as I had hoped. They seemed to have made the screens out of thinner stock lately as the new replacement is maybe 2mm thinner than the original one I had. It flexes too much at speed which may contribute to some of the buffeting.

Needless to say, they won't respond to any questions about switching to thinner materials.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 12:53 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Qs

Thomas actually pretty good questions that i did not think to address in the initial write-up ----- In order of noise - in the up position the +3/+2 is quietest, with the -2/+2 in not too distant second, followed by the OEM tall in a FAR distant third.

In the down position, I would place the screens in same order with a bit more of a gap between the tall and short CBs. The OEM is still a far distant third.

I dont ride much in the rain but i would guess the taller screens would be better. I think the +2 wider would help somewhat in the rain.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Cee Bailey's short shield for the New GT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some pictures of the Cee Bailey 2 inchs shorter than stock, stock width, dark grey shield on my 06 K1200GT. The shield that came with my bike was the BMW large shield. I like the sportier look and more cooling wind in my face.
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4206.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	5009   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4207.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	5010   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4208.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	5011   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4209.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	5012  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode