Deposit has been paid. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Deposit has been paid.

Well, I finally made the commitment :yeah . Deposit has been paid for an '07 K1200GT, blue, all options including higher windscreen. I've bought a Zumo for it already. Unfortunately the bike is being built in July so I won't see it till August (or worse case even later).

More reports as things get closer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 8:55 pm
Veteran

Congrats Don!!

The waiting begins . . . . .

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 9:42 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
Well, I finally made the commitment :yeah . Deposit has been paid for an '07 K1200GT, blue, all options including higher windscreen. I've bought a Zumo for it already. Unfortunately the bike is being built in July so I won't see it till August (or worse case even later). More reports as things get closer.
Good choice on the Zumo. That thing makes the BMW Navigator series look sick for less money. The Zumo's Sirf III chip rarely loses a signal in tree cover and canyons like my old BMW Nav. did.

Some guy at the Zumoforums.com site did some opening screens for the Zumo for BMW bikes and they look far better than anything BMW has. They have a better listing for the BMW dealer network as well since BMW NA doesn't seem to pay much attention to the Navigator owner's with regards to dealers and updates. I might add Garmin seems to be more responsive to the Zumo owners as well in their updates (like adding altitude and some other items that were out of the first few Zumos via a firmware update). You can share files too. Garmin also released version 3.30 for the Zumo which helped the Bluetooth volume issues. Plus, it has a battery so you can program it while sitting in a phone booth staring at a phone book or while hold up in a motel room during a storm.

Too bad about your slower boo-color though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Well, even though I have "speedy-blue" and the other colours have all that drag on them that makes them go slower we can all still get in major trouble without shifting outa second gear :yeah .

I had a 2710, went to the Zumo and now that I've figured it out there are some things I miss from the 2710. First off, I could get a LOT more information from it. For example, one of the features I used was the position of the sun and moon and reception from satellites - only get a few bars now. That and all the calculations about speed and distance (averages, maxes, to destination etc.) that could all overlay the basic map. Heck I thought I'd be able to choose which items I had in each box (you should see the Garmin Edge 350 for bicycles, it lets you put in all sorts of neat displays like what the current grade is, elevation changes and tracks all this over time). Garmin has put all this stuff into the software in more than one unit, I'd like to be able to access this and display it as I want. Maybe with future upgrades?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 7:55 pm
IBR# 366

Several guys who went to the Zumo from a 26XX or 27XX complained about the lack of features, and that the Zumo seemed "dumbed down" quite a bit. Garmin has slowly been adding many of the missing features back in, so perhaps your solution is a firmware update away. I'd email Garmin and give them specifics about what you want. If they're not already working on it, maybe they'll add it to the wish list.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 5:42 am
Veteran

Do we really think they'll add in the additional features? Perhaps these features are what justify the higher cost of the other units?

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 7:50 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Do we really think they'll add in the additional features? Perhaps these features are what justify the higher cost of the other units?
They added back the Altimeter and corrected the ability to turn on and off the Auto-Recalculation. Seems they are listening to the owners of it.

The Bluetooth is a nice feature although I don't use it and may never use it (cell phone) as Bluetooth drains my phone's battery pretty quick. Moreso when I go out of town and it shifts into the Roaming mode. Battery just cannot keep up. I'm awaiting some cables from Europe for the Autocom too.

The Sirf III chip is fantastic in acquisition. My old Navigator dropped signals so much in canyons and tree cover. The Zumo holds onto it very well. The addition of a internal *user replaceable" battery make using it off the bike a snap for things like track saving to a laptop, more trip planning and routes, firmware updates (they've done 4 since the intro last November), etc.

Plus, I can load their Topo and City Navigator maps into it which I couldn't do with the Navigator. They added Audio-Books capability to for long trips. Couple that some are usng 8 Gig SD cards and you have a lot of storage for Mp3, pictures, maps, POIs, Travelguides, etc. Then add on the XM Radio/Weather and it is really sweet!

Very nice start-up screen with the BMW logo over at the zumo.com site too. You can even add your own logos and POI icons to your trip data as well as the ability to use the phone ability via the Zumo screen along with your waypoints using their GXM/XML programming language. The older CSV format is pretty much limited. More POI lists are showing up too, like Harley, Honda, Victory, Yamaha dealers as well as BMW. Different bike? Add a different or additional dealer list in few minutes off the web. Even share your routes with others with the Share function.

I don't think I'd call it dumbed down, the Zumo 450 may be more of a dumbed down unit. The Zumo 550 does far more than my old Navigator did, faster, with bulky gloves on, and for less money too. Screen looks far better in the sun too. It just does things in a different way than previous models do - and it does a lot!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 7:52 am
Veteran

Thanks Gmack!! Nice explanation.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 10:35 am Thread Starter

The ZUMO has a number of nice features and with some programming it can easily have all the things of the 2710 and more recent Garmin units. I'll have to go back and do some specific documentation about the features that I most want to see and see if Garmin adds them in. And, I haven't played with any of the POI stuff yet. Only saw the CSV file but if I can use XML that'd be great, specially if I can add more info than the dumbed down CSV files I've seen.

I have a nice picture of my bike with Crater Lake in the background as my start up screen
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 10:47 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
The ZUMO has a number of nice features and with some programming it can easily have all the things of the 2710 and more recent Garmin units. I'll have to go back and do some specific documentation about the features that I most want to see and see if Garmin adds them in. And, I haven't played with any of the POI stuff yet. Only saw the CSV file but if I can use XML that'd be great, specially if I can add more info than the dumbed down CSV files I've seen.

I have a nice picture of my bike with Crater Lake in the background as my start up screen
If you look for the BMW Dealers GPS Waypoints link on this site you can see the GSM/XML coding using Notepad.

The most recent version has blue and white BMW icons for "Authorized BMW dealers" and red and white icons for the "Independent BMW repair shops." All Zumo ready with working phone numbers. :o

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode