Wunderlich kick stand enlarger drags. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 9:36 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Wunderlich kick stand enlarger drags.

Today on CA33 outside of Ojai I was trying to find out where the feelers on the pegs drag and found out that the Wunderlich add on for the kick stand drags before the peg feelers. I only felt 'something' drag and knew it wasn't the peg. When I checked it out there is a silver spot filed off of the bottom of the kcik stand 'pad'. Not sure if this would be enough to dig in, or to unweight the back end, but I'm considering removing it.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 9:45 pm
Capn' Blowhard

If it was me, I'd remove it - I wouldn't want anything dragging at all like that, ever...especially something hinged. Well, my knee is hinged and I don't mind dragging that but you get my point.

What would happen in my case is that I would get used to less lean angle around town maybe (which would suck in and of itself) then promptly forget that it was on there when I hit some twisties in a few months. Like you said, maybe it would just grind a bit or maybe it would gouge into some rough pavement and unsettle the rear end (at 70mph leaned over!).

It might be safe, hard to say...but I wouldn't want anything dragging like that on my bike. Just use the centerstand and take it off.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2007, 10:06 pm
Veteran

Depends on if you ever park in areas with thin or hot asphalt.

I came out to mine after lunch and it poked a hole, sunk about an inch or two through some thin asphalt, and was about to fall into a tree.

Being that I also experienced a few months in the shop and nearly $5000 in damages and an increase in my insurance to $1000 year, do you feel lucky for the thing not to fall over in the event you remove it? I already go the nasty letter in my premium increase that says "If you do this stunt one more time.... " Seems that happened on the house after two storm damage claims and now I cannot get insurance for a while. Least it's paid off so the bank cannot get upset. After a few years pass, I can get a policy again. Gotta love insurance.

You might shave off some of the grind area, but I'd guess and say the thing may snap off if you drag it too much. You could replace their screws with nylon ones if you wanted it to break-away easier.

It's your call. "Do ya feel lucky?" - and can you afford a GT tip-over episode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 10:28 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Not so much the hot asphalt thing, as much as I'm always pulling off the road into soft sand or dirt to take pix, and it's more of a hassle to get out the little kick stand pad I carry and get it positioned.

I guess I'm hoping that someone else who has this thingy will post here that: yes, it drags until it wears off 1/8" of metal and then the pegs touch. No harm no foul. But if it just continues to drag, then it's too much of a risk for me, as Nexus-6 points out above.

Anyone out there having a similar problem?

Sorry about the tip over and the insurance hassle. Try getting wind storm coverage in Florida these days if you want a real shock.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 3:03 pm
Strafist

I don't think I'd worry about. We consistently wore the square feets of the centerstand on an LT into a triangle.

FWIW, I haven't drug the feelers on the pegs. Not squiddly enough?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
FWIW, I haven't drug the feelers on the pegs. Not squiddly enough?
I scrapped my left boot - does that make me a squid, or stoopit for not having my boot on the peg properly?

Brian
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 6:56 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
I scraped my left boot - does that make me a squid, or stoopit for not having my boot on the peg properly?

Brian
It just means you've got big feet.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 7:01 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnblazer
I scrapped my left boot - does that make me a squid, or stoopit for not having my boot on the peg properly?

Brian
Et tu?

I scrapped the toe of my right boot once chasing some guy in the canyons who has a lot of track time. He told me later to keep the balls of my feet on the pegs. I still dunno how I scrapped the toe with the brake lever down there. I must walk like a duck, got big feet, or something.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 7:04 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook sez
HAHA!

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 8:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook sez
Size 14 - unfortunately that is the only thing that's big.

B-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode