2K miles from home . . . GT final drive failure! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 1:09 am Thread Starter

Exclamation 2K miles from home . . . GT final drive failure!

I pulled into a gas station in Lovelock, NV when I noticed something strange. My GT wouldn't coast up to the pump. It felt as if the rear pad was hanging up. So I fueled up then put the GT on the centerstand. I tried to spin the rear wheel, but it wouldn't spin freely. I gave the wheel the wiggle test and *GULP*...YIKES!!! About 1/4" of play left to right, top to bottom. Not good. Bummer...

The good news was that at least I was at a gas station, and NOT in the middle of nowhere. I also had great cell service. And the fact that I had several other facilities handy was also a good thing. The even better news though was that I called BMW Roadside Assistance and they responded quickly and professionally. My GT was tied down to a flatbed truck in under 2 hours and we were on our way back to Sparks, NV. I got a room at the Super8 which is only 0.7 miles from Sierra BMW. In the morning, I'll gingerly ride the GT over to them in hopes that I'll be back on the road SOON.

The adventure continures...
Ain't LD Touring great?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 1:10 am Thread Starter

Oh...my GT is an '06 model with the sealed rear drive. It's never been serviced. Also, I'm just shy of 19K on the clock.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 1:14 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Joe, this is NOT good news... please give us an update when you know it. Glad you're OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 1:25 am
Telepathetic

The spirit is willing, but this body is just to frigging far away to help. I hope your problem gets solved in a very timely fashion.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 1:41 am Thread Starter

This shouldn't have me down too long. If Sierra BMW doesn't have a final drive, I'll get one from A&S in Sacramento . . . or my dealer in Ohio.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 3:49 am
Capn' Blowhard

Joe,

I was just thinking about your travels an hour ago and wondering how you were doing!

Sierra BMW seem to be good folk from what I've heard of them, and what little I've dealt with them with parts and such. Hopefully it's a quick fix and you'll be back in the saddle before afternoon!

Glad you are safe and that the ol' girl choked at a gas station and not out in BFE.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 5:45 am
The Gov

Damn, given your other choices in Nevada, you were lucky!

Keep us posted, I'm getting ready to head to the hills and am wondering when i should start worrying :tick :tick :tick

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 7:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspace
I'm getting ready to head to the hills and am wondering when i should start worrying :tick :tick :tick
Never! Just ride it!
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 7:37 am
The Gov

I love the way you think

Phil Space
Springfield, VA
2007 K1200GT the road beast
2009 F800GS - My little adventure bike.
2007 F800ST - Her's, but I can ride it.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 8:36 am
Veteran

Least you were only about 90 miles from a dealer. If you were stuck in Wyoming it could have been worse.

The Sparks dealer is rated pretty high among dealers for service in Western states owners opinions. They have a pretty good online selection of clothing and accessories too.

I wonder how long it takes to get a new final? Since the bike is new, it may take a while but at least you can gamble your time away in Reno. Isn't it nice when a dealer is near a motel (Santa Cruz BMW and Ventura BMW are a couple like that too). I schedule my services with that in mind.

?? Did you ever change your final's oil when it was new? Back when BMW couldn't decide between it being a sealed drive (i.e. "Don't bother it") unit of not. Sure wish BMW would get a handle on their final drive failures. This has been going on for more than a decade now.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode