Prepping an '07 GT for the IBR - almost done - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 9:05 pm Thread Starter
Will ride the miles ...

Prepping an '07 GT for the IBR - almost done

I know that some have asked.

I've been working on this since the bike was delivered last November. I designed and fabricated the tank myself from 6061-T6 aluminum. The tank has been officially measured by the IBA at 3.99 gallons. It also holds ~1.5 gallons of drinking water in the left partition. It was powder coated in a black wrinkle finish. The pictures don't do it justice because the light was bad.

I'm not quite done yet. I still need to modify the cell phone bracket to fit my new phone. I also need to add a bracket (to be made from aluminum and acrylic) for my EZ-Pass transponder. However, I figure I am 90% there. After finishing some tankbag modifications I should be ready to test-run the stuff in rally mode on the Cal24 and Utah1088 next month.

My V1 is mounted under the top lid of the Storm case on the rear tank. Only the remote display is up on the dash. The audio goes through a Baehr communication system.

The seat retention piece will still need a tweak by Rick Mayer to get the proper support under the rear of the driver seat. I'll be riding in to his shop on the way to the Cal to take care of that.

I also now have possession of a spare set of wheels for the rally. The rear came from Beemer Boneyard (off a warranty buy-back bike - shipping damage) and the front came via Ebay from a K1200R take-off with <300 miles on it (supposedly). Those will be transported, with fresh tires mounted, by a friend to St. Louis for the midway checkpoint service.

... and no, I don't wash my bikes much. I'd rather spend time riding them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front_left.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	5030   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_left.jpg
Views:	1506
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	5031   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat_fitment.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	5032   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank_fuel_side.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	5033   Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit2.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	5034  

Jeff Earls
Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 9:26 pm
Enthusiast

Nice setup for fuel and water. Should get approx. 350 miles comfortably per fuel load. What method are you using to attach the top briefcase? Also wonder what you expect the loaded bike to weigh? Like the low profile of the fuel\water cell.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 9:28 pm
Let's Ride

I really love your auxiliary tank set up. Did you fabricate the tank yourself? Do you loose any affectiveness with the V1 under your topcase? Wouldn't it have to shoot through your body?

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 10:18 pm
Addict

You must be the absolute Ruler of the Farkles and a Bladder Zen Master. Very nice set up. I'm just down the road from you so I hope we cross paths sometime.

John
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 10:23 pm Thread Starter
Will ride the miles ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03k12RS
Nice setup for fuel and water. Should get approx. 350 miles comfortably per fuel load. What method are you using to attach the top briefcase? Also wonder what you expect the loaded bike to weigh? Like the low profile of the fuel\water cell.
Actually I'm hoping to do rather better than that for range in standard rally cruise mode.

The top case is attached with four 8mm stainless bolts. Rubber fender washers inside and out keep it watertight.

Weight ... the tank weighs 12 lbs by itself. Add 4 gallons of fuel at 6 lbs/gal and 1.5 gallons of water at 8lbs/gal. Really it's like carrying a small passenger. I'll likely run the ESA at "two helmets" but really it shouldn't need that much preload. There is a baffle in the fuel side to prevent side-to-side handling problems due to slosh.

This will be my 5th time running the IBR. Each time I find myself carrying less stuff. I'll probably have less stuff packed on the bike for two-week rally than most folks truck around for a weekend overnighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-1
I really love your auxiliary tank set up. Did you fabricate the tank yourself? Do you loose any affectiveness with the V1 under your topcase? Wouldn't it have to shoot through your body?
Thanks. Yes, I did fabricate it myself. I outsourced the powder coating because the cell was too big to fit in the old oven I have for that purpose.

The frontal sensitivity of the V1 is decreased but not enough to matter to me. I'd rather have great sensitivity to the rear anyway. That's where it can be tougher to track threats. Forward, there is no substitute for situational awareness anyway.

Jeff Earls
Portland, OR
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 11:20 pm

That's a great setup. Did you fabricate the light mounts yourself? I'd love to get the pattern to build some up. Or do you plan to build them for sale? Is there a IBR this year and where is the start finish location?

Dave
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 11:20 pm

When you see Rob Nye, check out his rig.

You IBR guys are really crazy All very nice work too.

Best of luck to you.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 11:28 pm Thread Starter
Will ride the miles ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408
When you see Rob Nye, check out his rig.

You IBR guys are really crazy All very nice work too.

Best of luck to you.
Last time I talked with Rob was in a mini-mart in Salina, UT on Leg 1 of the '05 event.

I'm sure he remembers the meeting.

Jeff Earls
Portland, OR
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 11:35 pm Thread Starter
Will ride the miles ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrocks
That's a great setup. Did you fabricate the light mounts yourself? I'd love to get the pattern to build some up. Or do you plan to build them for sale? Is there a IBR this year and where is the start finish location?

Dave
Thanks. Yes, I did fabricate the light mounts myself.

http://www.rdrop.com/users/jearls/temp/HID/HID.html

So the pattern ... well it's a few chunks of foamcore laying around my shop somewhere. Do I plan to build them for sale? ... I honestly don't have the time. I've considered doing things like that when I retire from my real job but right now, no.

IBR ... it's held every other year. This year is the "on" year. The start/finish is in Chesterfield, MO.

http://ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1256&PN=1

Jeff Earls
Portland, OR
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 3:18 pm

Two Comments:

1) Where is the "funnel" for water out?????

2) You've got your aux lights on the mirrors. I'm thinking of getting more lights and was thinking of the Motorlights installed on the fork tubes or brake calipers. I figured that way they would "point" around the corner better. So why on the mirrors instead of the fork?

THanks - BC Don.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode