Screeching. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2007, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Screeching.

I just completed a 1500 BB. On the last 100 miles there was a lot of intersections and heavy traffic. The bike started screeching every time I started moving. I thought it may be the clutch slipping but it sounds more like its coming from the drive side of the bike.
The bike is a 07 which I bought at the end of March I currently have 4000 miles on it. I've heard this noise a few times before never thought much about it. But now after the engine has warmed up the screeching is happening very frequently. Any thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 12:02 am
IBR# 366

Have you had the fluid changed in your rear drive, or is it still the factory fill? It sounds like you're looking at the engine, which may make sense if it only happens after the bike is really warmed up, but these new "bulletproof" drives have been known to fail . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 2:04 am
Enthusiast

Sounds like the clutch noise we have all been discussing over the last few days in two or three different posts.

I was just thinking today how little my bike is screeching today. Usually it screeches every time I take off from a standing start but today it very soft and only occasional. Maybe it goes away as the milage increases. Mine is now up to 8600km.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 9:34 am Thread Starter

Yes the lube was flushed and changed at the 600 mile service.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 9:43 am

You're screwed.

I think your bike is dead.

Brian
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 11:21 am

Screeching

I hope the bike is still alive and ready for the road. My 07 has been experiencing this problem since the 600 mile service (now 3100 miles) with it noted to the service tech each time. The sound is akin to older (60's) bike's clutch chatter as the cork inserts would begin to wear.
I just had the bike serviced before embarking on an extended trip and this is what I discovered. A service bulletin (21 001 07 018) dated April 2007 has been sent to the dealers to fix "juttering" upon pulling away from a stop. There is an oil nossle that is to be installed in the end of the transmission input shaft by drilling and tapping the shaft. All the work is under warranty and affects the GT, R and S models for 07. Ask your dealer.
Hope this helps. Good luck to all.
EJ
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

No the bike is still quite alive. Thanks for the info on the service bulletin. Now where do I donate money to this board.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2007, 2:37 pm
Will ride the miles ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniejen
A service bulletin (21 001 07 018) dated April 2007 has been sent to the dealers to fix "juttering" upon pulling away from a stop. There is an oil nossle that is to be installed in the end of the transmission input shaft by drilling and tapping the shaft. All the work is under warranty and affects the GT, R and S models for 07. Ask your dealer.
Hope this helps. Good luck to all.
EJ
I just went down to my dealer for some other items and discussed this with them. I have a paper copy of the service bulletin in my hand.

It does not apply to the GT.

Bulletin # 21 001 07 (018)

Subject: Clutch judders on pullaway

Model: K1200S (K40), K1200R (K43)

Details: The anti-judder spring in the clutch of the K4x series was discontinued as of week 22/05. In isolated cases, the clutch without the anti-judder spring can be subject to judder as the motorcycle pulls away from rest.

Production Solution: The improved clutch design for the K1200GT (K44) was adopted for the K1200S (K40) and K1200R (K43) models in week 09/06.

So in summary ... they are applying the solution on the GT to the R and S.

This doesn't mean the GT doesn't judder. In fact mine does a little but only when cold. Given that this is an oil nozzle issue, that makes sense.

Jeff Earls
Portland, OR
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

In my case the noise starts appearing after the engine oil is fully warmed and at operating temperature. Maybe the nozzle is pluged or maybe its not there. Thanks for the information

Dave
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 12:44 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrocks
In my case the noise starts appearing after the engine oil is fully warmed and at operating temperature. Maybe the nozzle is pluged or maybe its not there. Thanks for the information

Dave
Dave,

Mine has been doing it hot or cold, no difference, until three days ago. I am now on the third day with virtually no noise (a little chirp very occasionally instead of every take off) and seemingly also less vibration on light throttle and overrun.

Since I have had my bike it has felt course on overrun. The April edition of "Bike" magazine has an article on the new K1200RSport in which they say the bike "on overrun feels like a knackered washing machine full of bricks". That is a bit harsh but when I first got mine a similar thought did cross my mind! It now seems like most of the bricks have turned to powder and is much smoother for some strange reason.

Anyway, I ignore all this and just enjoy the bike every day. I love it and hope to keep riding it for many years yet.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode