Considering Metzelers, Good Choice ? - Page 2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
My '07 GT came from the factory with Z6 tires. They handled fine wet or dry, highway or twisties. But the rear was completely down to the cords at 4,700 miles, while the front still looks new. The rear also has a solid tread band in the middle of the tire, meaning there are no tread wear indicators to check.
I had Z6's on my SV1000 and totally agree with Meese, rear wore down quick and the only clue I had that tyre was wearing out was when I could see the banding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2007, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Thanks Brian, no sweat.

You're liking them fine? How's the wear, you're getting a few miles on them?
Yes, I like them a lot. I have about 1k on them now. They are wearing very nicely, grip well, and are quiet.

Brian
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 3:53 pm
I'm riding

I am on the second set of MeZ6 and like them. Replaced the original set at around 14000 km before long trip. But 200 after the change had strange "fish tail" movement of the bike at speed above 160 km/h riding with side cases. Was too much air in the front tyre but still the strange behaviour was not gone completely. The bike was checked and nothing wrong found... amazing that after another 3000 km the bike returns to usual fantastic riding and it happened in the wet(in real rain). But I believe that is not right. Could it be something special about that very set of tyres or wear?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2007, 7:38 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
I am on the second set of MeZ6 and like them. Replaced the original set at around 14000 km before long trip. But 200 after the change had strange "fish tail" movement of the bike at speed above 160 km/h riding with side cases. Was too much air in the front tyre but still the strange behaviour was not gone completely. The bike was checked and nothing wrong found... amazing that after another 3000 km the bike returns to usual fantastic riding and it happened in the wet(in real rain). But I believe that is not right. Could it be something special about that very set of tyres or wear?
ONCE, only once I noticed exactly the same thing on my "new" Z6. Never happened again. I only got 12K km out of my rear Z6. I'm switching to the Avon 55/56 for this go.

Look forward to your ride report. How did the wife like the ST?

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 2:00 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
... How did the wife like the ST?
It's awesome indeed. the only pity was the lack of Wilbers shock which had been lost somewhere in post/customs jungle. Hope I will find it though. But it takes time and the season here, you know, is like in Canada - too short :-((

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 2:14 am
IBR# 366

My Z6 rear slips on tar snakes. The BT020's on my LT never did, though the ME880's would.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2007, 8:00 am

Tire wear

I have 10,400 miles on my Z6's, from the factory. I would opine I still have 2 K miles left in them. And..................

There ARE tead wear indicators on the Z6 rears. Find the letters TWI raised in the rubber near the outside of the tread area. Follow that sipe to the center and there will be a cut with two legs. Look closely and in the cut nearest the center you will find the most important indicator, it being a barely perceptible raised "hump" showing minimum thickness. There are two more indicators further from center but you are not too likely to wear the tire down to their level on the street.

Rusty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode